White Sox Re-Sign Jake Peavy

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
I don't mean to rain on this parade, but I'm going to right now: feel free to ignore me

The Choke-ago White Sox left a bad taste in my mouth by choking in the last 3 weeks of the regular season. Bringing back the same guys who contributed to that choke does not fill me with a bunch of confidence. Now I realize the choke was not really the fault of the pitching staff but...I will save my happiness until I see some good moves being made with the offense, and by that I mean bringing in some new blood and not just resigning the same old guys who choked.

flame shields activated

Weren't you the one who got pissy in the NBA thread when people were critical of the Bulls, and were telling them they weren't really fans?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
David Haugh ‏@DavidHaugh

New Sox GM busy: Team extends Peavy for two years and exercise option on Gavin Floyd. Solidifies starting staff. Got creative on Peavy deal.

Awesome stuff.

If everyone stays healthy in the rotation the Sox should no doubt be a playoff contender.

Now get a LH bat Hahn, either AJ or a LH 3B (Mooooose would be amazing) and give Tyler a shot

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
I'm still expecting Hahn to make some sort of bold move this fall!

Seriously? 2 days into the offseason, he signs one of the most sought-after pitchers going to free agency. Not bold enough for you?

I'm sure they aren't nearly done yet of course. But jeez man, look at the calendar, and realize what Peavy was going to be.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
I'm so glad this family is not part of the Sox organization anymore

Oney Guillen ‏@Oneyguillen

wow. awful signing. awful. god bless that money. but wow

Somebody please shut him up.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
It makes way too much sense, knowing Kenny's history with Alex.

And what history is that? Wanting an all-time great when he was healthy in his late 20's?

I can't see Hahn, yes Hahn, wanting to add a late 30's player that's breaking down. Plus, we don't know what the Sox would be responsible for if Arod reaches those milestone bonuses. It just doesn't make sense for the Sox to go for that guy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
And what history is that? Wanting an all-time great when he was healthy in his late 20's?

I can't see Hahn, yes Hahn, wanting to add a late 30's player that's breaking down. Plus, we don't know what the Sox would be responsible for if Arod reaches those milestone bonuses. It just doesn't make sense for the Sox to go for that guy.

He's gone after his multiple times, and as recently as a couple of years ago.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
I don't mean to rain on this parade, but I'm going to right now: feel free to ignore me

The Choke-ago White Sox left a bad taste in my mouth by choking in the last 3 weeks of the regular season. Bringing back the same guys who contributed to that choke does not fill me with a bunch of confidence. Now I realize the choke was not really the fault of the pitching staff but...I will save my happiness until I see some good moves being made with the offense, and by that I mean bringing in some new blood and not just resigning the same old guys who choked.

flame shields activated

They choked because they didn't have enough pitching. At the start of last season, only Danks and Floyd could be counted on for 180 innings. If they keep this rotation intact, you can see four guys who could pitch 180, big difference.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Me too man! We haven't had a good #3 hitter since Quentin. We need a badass to push Dunn down in the order to 6 or something so everyone is happy. I hope Hahn goes after one.

What kind of big name are you thinking?

Personally I think the Sox should sell high on Rios. If you look at his past 4 seasons its been off-on-off-on. This team can't afford another 'off' year out of him. I wouldn't mind shipping him off to SD in a package for 3B Chase Headley.

In a separate deal, I can see them go strong after Jacoby Ellsbury. The Red Sox are in the process of rebuilding and would love to aqcuire younger talent for their talented OF. Red Sox fans also share the same thoughts:

http://news.yahoo.com/time-red-sox-trade-j...00571--mlb.html

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
A Rod is still a huge name with the casual fan. I'd bet many fans will be buying his jerseys. I also think without the NY pressure, A Rod would have a great season.

I'm sure he could have a great season or two, but the problem is that he is signed thru 2017. His OPS has decreased for 5 straight seasons now, so I don't see those age 41 & 42 seasons ending well.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 30, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
Personally I think the Sox should sell high on Rios. If you look at his past 4 seasons its been off-on-off-on. This team can't afford another 'off' year out of him. I wouldn't mind shipping him off to SD in a package for 3B Chase Headley.

In a separate deal, I can see them go strong after Jacoby Ellsbury. The Red Sox are in the process of rebuilding and would love to aqcuire younger talent for their talented OF. Red Sox fans also share the same thoughts:

http://news.yahoo.com/time-red-sox-trade-j...00571--mlb.html

Chase Headley is younger, cheaper, and better than Alex Rios. Why in the world would the Padres give him up for Rios? I know everyone would love to see Headley at 3rd on the South Side, but I think a lot of people are underestimating his value.

They choked because they didn't have enough pitching. At the start of last season, only Danks and Floyd could be counted on for 180 innings. If they keep this rotation intact, you can see four guys who could pitch 180, big difference.

This is the first time I've seen anyone claim that they choked because of the pitching.