So what type of 3rd baseman do we need?

balfanman

Moustakas put up a 3.5 WAR as a 23 year old this past season.

Fine, but WAR comes from different things, and his came from defense and a little bit of power. His OBP is terrible, and that's what the Sox need more than anything.

I wouldn't say that Moustakas is terrible, but I would say he's a bad fit for the Sox.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gavin Floyd is with the White Sox for now but the right-handed pitcher might not last the offseason.

With limited money to spend and several spots to fill, including a large gap at third base, White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said he would be creative this offseason to address his team’s roster needs.

The White Sox have nine players under contract for $89.25 million and are expected to open the season with a $97-100 million payroll.

The White Sox picked up Floyd’s $9.5 million club option last week, leaving them flush with starting rotation depth.

Part of Hahn’s strategy to complete the White Sox may include a trade of one of his starting pitchers. With the GM meetings set to open in Palm Desert, Calif. on Wednesday, Hahn thinks he may hear from other clubs interested in the White Sox starting pitching depth.

“I suspect given this market for pitchers that is out there right now, I think we’re going to hear from a lot of teams about our starting pitching depth,” Hahn said. “I think we’re going to be pretty popular in that regard vis-a-vis trades because we’re in a better position than a lot of clubs right now.”

In terms of starting pitching, Hahn has a comfortable seat.

The White Sox retained Floyd and Jake Peavy earlier in the week and thus far, John Danks, who is under contract, appears to be on track to pitch in spring training after he had shoulder surgery on Aug. 6. The team also controls the contracts of Chris Sale, Jose Quintana and Hector Santiago, who could move into the rotation.

Hahn also believes Triple-A starters Simon Castro and Nestor Molina can contribute in the majors soon.

Those factors make Floyd -- who went 12-11 with a 4.29 ERA in 29 starts and is a free agent next season -- a strong candidate for a trade.

Floyd has made at least 29 starts the last five seasons and is 70-66 with a 4.46 career ERA. He also finished the season strong after he made an adjustment to his delivery, going 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in his final five starts.

Those numbers might appeal to a team in need of a solid short-term addition to its rotation for the 2013 season. Not only would the White Sox free themselves of Floyd’s $9.5 million of salary, they potentially could package the veteran pitcher with another player to acquire a third baseman.

Floyd is no stranger to trade rumors.

In 2009, Floyd for Baltimore’s Brian Roberts was an oft-floated rumor while last offseason it was speculated he was headed to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The trade gossip isn’t likely to go away soon this offseason, either. Asked on Thursday if he’d consider trading a starting pitcher, Hahn didn’t shy away from the suggestion.

“It’s absolutely conceivable,” Hahn said. “Nothing is set in stone in terms of, ‘Here’s our starting five. Here’s our back end of the rotation’ and this guy’s here. We will absolutely listen on any ideas and trades will be one of the avenues we pursue to potentially fill some of our holes.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...&feedID=621

"We will absolutely listen on any ideas and trades will be one of the avenues we pursue to potentially fill some of our holes.”

I would think that a team that is desperate enough to call the Sox to give up a quality 3rd baseman for pitching would have to view themselves as a contender next season if they find this pitching. Other than the $$$ factor (I realize that this is a big factor) that would leave San Diego out IMO. So who else out there might be viable trade partners? Yankees? Texas? Baltimore? Reds?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 3, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
This website blows my mind at times. Moustakas put up a 3.5 WAR as a 23 year old this past season. I'm not sure if people realize how bad the 3B position has gotten in recent years, but that's f***ing incredible. Sure, his offense wasn't spectacular, but again, he just turned 24 years old and has only had about 1 2/3 full seasons in the pros. Considering he was the 9th ranked prospect in all of bassball in 2011, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he will get better with the bat over the next few years. And even if he doesn't, he's already one of the better all-around 3B in baseball and is under team control for the next 5 years.

Thinking we can get him for Floyd or some borderline prospects is pure insanity. If I were Hahn and the Royals expressed any willingness to trade Moustakas, I'd immedietely offer up Quintana and cross my fingers. Unfortunately, I think they'd want a more proven, cost-controlled SP if they were to consider moving him and I personally can't comprehend why they'd want to trade him in the first place.

I don't think Quintana will have that much value. Yes, he's making no money and pitched well for most of the season, but he did struggle down the strech, and he's still Quintana, a non-prospect who I think most will expect to be a flash in the pan. I do think the White Sox would be smart to cash in on him if they can move him, but they will probably need his lower salary to balance out the rotation.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 5, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
Gavin Floyd is with the White Sox for now but the right-handed pitcher might not last the offseason.

With limited money to spend and several spots to fill, including a large gap at third base, White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said he would be creative this offseason to address his team’s roster needs.

The White Sox have nine players under contract for $89.25 million and are expected to open the season with a $97-100 million payroll.

The White Sox picked up Floyd’s $9.5 million club option last week, leaving them flush with starting rotation depth.

Part of Hahn’s strategy to complete the White Sox may include a trade of one of his starting pitchers. With the GM meetings set to open in Palm Desert, Calif. on Wednesday, Hahn thinks he may hear from other clubs interested in the White Sox starting pitching depth.

“I suspect given this market for pitchers that is out there right now, I think we’re going to hear from a lot of teams about our starting pitching depth,” Hahn said. “I think we’re going to be pretty popular in that regard vis-a-vis trades because we’re in a better position than a lot of clubs right now.”

In terms of starting pitching, Hahn has a comfortable seat.

The White Sox retained Floyd and Jake Peavy earlier in the week and thus far, John Danks, who is under contract, appears to be on track to pitch in spring training after he had shoulder surgery on Aug. 6. The team also controls the contracts of Chris Sale, Jose Quintana and Hector Santiago, who could move into the rotation.

Hahn also believes Triple-A starters Simon Castro and Nestor Molina can contribute in the majors soon.

Those factors make Floyd -- who went 12-11 with a 4.29 ERA in 29 starts and is a free agent next season -- a strong candidate for a trade.

Floyd has made at least 29 starts the last five seasons and is 70-66 with a 4.46 career ERA. He also finished the season strong after he made an adjustment to his delivery, going 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in his final five starts.

Those numbers might appeal to a team in need of a solid short-term addition to its rotation for the 2013 season. Not only would the White Sox free themselves of Floyd’s $9.5 million of salary, they potentially could package the veteran pitcher with another player to acquire a third baseman.

Floyd is no stranger to trade rumors.

In 2009, Floyd for Baltimore’s Brian Roberts was an oft-floated rumor while last offseason it was speculated he was headed to the Toronto Blue Jays.

The trade gossip isn’t likely to go away soon this offseason, either. Asked on Thursday if he’d consider trading a starting pitcher, Hahn didn’t shy away from the suggestion.

“It’s absolutely conceivable,” Hahn said. “Nothing is set in stone in terms of, ‘Here’s our starting five. Here’s our back end of the rotation’ and this guy’s here. We will absolutely listen on any ideas and trades will be one of the avenues we pursue to potentially fill some of our holes.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...&feedID=621

I will be very surprised if Floyd is the on roster next season. Right now, we know that #1 Sale, #2 Peavy #3 Danks (hopefully or at some point) #4 Jose Quintana #5 Hector Santiago. If Floyd is here, he's #4 in the rotation, but as excited as I am about Peavy being back (I didn't see how the White Sox could afford to lose an all-star pitcher and still compete in the division), they still need to actually improve their roster as well with what seems to be limited resources.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 6, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
I will be very surprised if Floyd is the on roster next season. Right now, we know that #1 Sale, #2 Peavy #3 Danks (hopefully or at some point) #4 Jose Quintana #5 Hector Santiago. If Floyd is here, he's #4 in the rotation, but as excited as I am about Peavy being back (I didn't see how the White Sox could afford to lose an all-star pitcher and still compete in the division), they still need to actually improve their roster as well with what seems to be limited resources.

4/5 Lefty rotation? No thanks.

Since a decent 3rd baseman seems so hard to come by, I'm thinking that we may have to think outside the box a little and go the route of a converted retread. I mean like a player who can no longer play shortstop very well, but could still hit a little bit. We did this with Juan Uribe a few years back and while not ideal, it was a better solution than what we have now. I've been trying to think who this could be but I'm sure I could use the help of others who know the rest of the league better than I do. Most of the names that I have come up with I'm not even sure where they are at right now, or if they can still play, or hit at all.

Juan Uribe

Christian Guzman

Alex Gonzales

Rafael Furcal

Jayson Nix

???

I'm sure that some of these names are laughable, but I have no idea where they are at. Maybe find a shortstop off of the minor league free agent list who is blocked by someone on the major league team. Just trying top come up with ideas. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)
Since a decent 3rd baseman seems so hard to come by, I'm thinking that we may have to think outside the box a little and go the route of a converted retread. I mean like a player who can no longer play shortstop very well, but could still hit a little bit. We did this with Juan Uribe a few years back and while not ideal, it was a better solution than what we have now. I've been trying to think who this could be but I'm sure I could use the help of others who know the rest of the league better than I do. Most of the names that I have come up with I'm not even sure where they are at right now, or if they can still play, or hit at all.

Juan Uribe

Christian Guzman

Alex Gonzales

Rafael Furcal

Jayson Nix

???

I'm sure that some of these names are laughable, but I have no idea where they are at. Maybe find a shortstop off of the minor league free agent list who is blocked by someone on the major league team. Just trying top come up with ideas. :gosoxretro:

Marco Scutaro of Giants now a FA. He played third while Panda was hurt.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
Marco Scutaro of Giants now a FA. He played third while Panda was hurt.

He is 37/38 years old. I think I would rather cease with the stop gaps, no matter how good Scutaro was last season

I know some people will cringe at this idea, but what about moving Viciedo back to 3B, and finding an outfielder to help solve our offensive woes? Defense at 3B is certainly important, and although he's got a great arm, his defense is generally considered sub-par, but once again, this team's problem last year was offense. With the lack of suitable options at 3B via free agency or trades (at least realistic trade options), it just seems like we could fix some offensive issues via an OF easier than a 3B. Names like Upton, Sizemore (not sure how he'll be but neither is anyone else so maybe he comes cheap), Bourn, Hamilton and Victorino may or may not be on the free agent list if you're willing to pay for them, and with Floyd as what seems to be a valuable trade chip this year, many more potential OF trade candidates are out there. Just a thought.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 08:41 AM)

Juan Uribe

Christian Guzman

Alex Gonzales

Rafael Furcal

Jayson Nix

???

My initial belief is that this post was made in 2010 and it took 2 years to load onto the server

You forgot to math or what year it was, cuz 2008 and 2 years is, like, 2010 or something.

But seriously, Cristian Guzman? Where in the hell did that come from? Juan Uribe and Alex Gonzalez? If you are going to do that, atleast name guys that are good offensively.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
You forgot to math or what year it was, cuz 2008 and 2 years is, like, 2010 or something.

But seriously, Cristian Guzman? Where in the hell did that come from? Juan Uribe and Alex Gonzalez? If you are going to do that, atleast name guys that are good offensively.

This is why I'm asking for help here. I do not pay much attention to other teams, particularly in the other league, nor do I pretend to be an "expert" as some others do. I thought that these guys were still playing, but I'm not sure on that, or to what level. I just thought that some others on this site might have a "think outside the box" solution to the 3rd base situation.

"Good offensively" is also somewhat subjective, especially in this case. Are we looking for something good compared to the rest of baseball? That would be pretty expensive in both dollars and talent. Or are we looking for something good compared to our 3rd base situation over the last few seasons? If the latter is the case then this player only needs to be better than Brent Morel, Orlando Hudson, Rey Olmedo, and a broken down Kevin Youkilis. Heck, I'd settle for the return of Mark Teahen.

Here's another thought that I have. Keep in mind that I am one who has only actually been to 2 Sox games over the last couple of seasons, and have been able to watch only about 2-3 more on T.V. in that time. I do listen to most every game on radio however, so most of my information comes from Ed Farmer & Darrin Jackson (I do realize that they are somewhat biased). Listening to Ed & D.J., I have thought that Gordon Beckham was a G. G. calibur 2nd baseman with pretty good range.

It does seem however, that most on this site do not believe that Beckham has very good range. It then seems to me that it might be best to move him back to 3rd base and try to find another 2nd basemen. I know that this subject has been broached before and I think that the main arguement against it was that we don't want to mess with his mind any further with another position change. Well, this would not be a totally new position to him and you are going to mess his mind up from what exactly? It is all ready messed up offensively. I believe that Beckham had most of his success in the Majors while playing 3rd base so who knows, the move might help him to "find himself" at the plate.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Here's another thought that I have. Keep in mind that I am one who has only actually been to 2 Sox games over the last couple of seasons, and have been able to watch only about 2-3 more on T.V. in that time. I do listen to most every game on radio however, so most of my information comes from Ed Farmer & Darrin Jackson (I do realize that they are somewhat biased). Listening to Ed & D.J., I have thought that Gordon Beckham was a G. G. calibur 2nd baseman with pretty good range.

It does seem however, that most on this site do not believe that Beckham has very good range. It then seems to me that it might be best to move him back to 3rd base and try to find another 2nd basemen. I know that this subject has been broached before and I think that the main arguement against it was that we don't want to mess with his mind any further with another position change. Well, this would not be a totally new position to him and you are going to mess his mind up from what exactly? It is all ready messed up offensively. I believe that Beckham had most of his success in the Majors while playing 3rd base so who knows, the move might help him to "find himself" at the plate.

If the solution were only internal, I would rather move Gordo back over there versus Dayan. Other than that, the solution really is going to come from outside of the organization

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)

When I thought Beckham was going to be an above-average offensive player, I wanted them to keep him at 2B. Now that he's 3.67 years in, and we know he's not even an average offensive player, but shows occasional power, I wouldn't mind if they moved him back to 3B, batted him second one last time, and tried Carlos Sanchez at 2B and batted him 9th.

BTW, Sanchez went 5-5 yesterday, and is hitting well over .300 in the AFL. Not that it means much, but it's better than hitting .200. He also has played exclusively at 2B.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 7, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi

Josh Byrnes said he doesn't expect Chase Headley to be traded this winter. Padres actually like their offense, need pitching.

Hmm, you need pitching and have a big third base prospect getting blocked by Headley.....