White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
Olney suggesting Angels are about to strike on a big move. Other writers speculating it could be signing Hamilton.

I wonder how Trumbo looks at 3B.....Hmm....

If Trumbo could play 3B good enough, he'd be playing 3B for the Angels.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
If Trumbo could play 3B good enough, he'd be playing 3B for the Angels.

So you think Trumbo is just going to ride the bench now??? They may as well trade him for some pitching....like Gavin Floyd.

EDIT: I suppose they could trade Bourjos instead, and rock a Trumbo-Trout-Hamilton OF.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
Who replaces Josh in their OF?

They have one of the best farm systems and a ton of money. You could be looking at anyone from Craig Gentry to Leonis Martin to Julio Borbon to Michael Bourn. The last thing they really need to do right now is trade for a player who is uncomfortable playing the position they need him to play.

Here's the situation...right now, the Sox are no better than they were at the end of last season. In fact, if anything, they're worse. (Flowers for AJ is a downgrade, Keppinger for Youk is a "wash", losing Myers, etc.). Meanwhile the Tigers have added Torii Hunter and have Victor Martinez coming back, the Royals have improved, as have the Angels, Blue Jays, Red Sox, etc.

The Sox either have to make some serious upgrades/acquisitions, or they need to trash what they do have and rebuild. IMO the AL Central in winnable, I don't want to rebuild...not yet.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
Here's the situation...right now, the Sox are no better than they were at the end of last season. In fact, if anything, they're worse. (Flowers for AJ is a downgrade, Keppinger for Youk is a "wash", losing Myers, etc.). Meanwhile the Tigers have added Torii Hunter and have Victor Martinez coming back, the Royals have improved, as have the Angels, Blue Jays, Red Sox, etc.

The Sox either have to make some serious upgrades/acquisitions, or they need to trash what they do have and rebuild. IMO the AL Central in winnable, I don't want to rebuild...not yet.

Losing Myers is not a big loss, and I don't think Flowers will be as much of a downgrade as you believe.

There's still a lot of time left. Be patient. They can also make moves in season too.

I don't buy the Sox being worse. My guess is that Flowers will be every bit as good as AJ this year. Youk was pretty blah last year when it mattered so I don't think there is much of a downgrade there especially considering Keppinger should be a better defender. De Aza and Viciedo also have their first full year under their belts and should improve. You also failed to mention our rotation. Last year we lost Danks for basically the whole season and we started two first year starters. I think a rotation this year of Sale, Peavy, Danks, Floyd and Quintana should be pretty studly. That is if they keep Floyd which I'm guessing they don't. Even if they don't make any more moves, which is unlikely, I think the team is better going into this year than they were last.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
So you think Trumbo is just going to ride the bench now??? They may as well trade him for some pitching....like Gavin Floyd.

EDIT: I suppose they could trade Bourjos instead, and rock a Trumbo-Trout-Hamilton OF.

I'll simply repeat that the Sox are looking for a LH bat for the middle of the order. Trumbo is not left handed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Losing Myers is not a big loss, and I don't think Flowers will be as much of a downgrade as you believe.

There's still a lot of time left. Be patient. They can also make moves in season too.

Flowers won't be much of a downgrade from what AJ will be this year, but that's a ton of offense to replace from 2012.

But, you're right, it's early.

The Sox are also getting John Danks back in the #3 spot in the rotation. That's a big deal.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
The Sox are also getting John Danks back in the #3 spot in the rotation. That's a big deal.

Having Jake Peavy, Chris Sale, and Jose Quintana back after stretching their arms back out is also a big deal. They will be able to go every five days instead of every six with an occasional skipped start.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
I rarely post speculative trade stuff, but a Floyd/Trumbo-based scenario is something I could actually see playing out.

Trumbo's awful at 3B. He's also awful in the OF. His bat's decent, but he's also really inconsistent.

I wouldn't trade anything more than Floyd for him, but I think the Angels would want more than just Floyd.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Trumbo's awful at 3B. He's also awful in the OF. His bat's decent, but he's also really inconsistent.

I wouldn't trade anything more than Floyd for him, but I think the Angels would want more than just Floyd.

I think if the Angels would do Trumbo for Floyd, Rick Hahn would be running to a press conference right now before the Angels sobered up.

I think if the Angels would do Trumbo for Floyd, Rick Hahn would be running to a press conference right now before the Angels sobered up.

I'd love Trumbo at 3rd...with Keppinger as a late inning defensive replacement/spot starter.

(Unfortunately, I think that KW's love for Chone Figgins will show itself very soon!)

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
What was wrong with Trumbo in the 2nd half of last season? To give you an idea of how bad he struggled, Alexei Ramirez had six more extra base hits than Trumbo did in that timespan.

His numbers in August and September look like Adam Dunn from 2011 without the ability to draw a walk.

I like Trumbo a lot, but I'm not sure he's even an upgrade on Viciedo.