Kevin Youkilis Appreciation Thread

Steve9347

I liked Youk, but don't think it would have been a wise gamble to pay for him on a 1 or 2 year deal. Keppinger seems like more of a stop-gap move, but it comes at a 1/3 of the cost (albeit for 2 more years) and I think that makes a bit more sense. NY can gamble on Youk being productive with their payroll.

Wasn't exactly a Youkilis fan before the Sox acquired him (because of the Red Sox), but watching him single-handedly account for multiple wins immediately after he got to Chicago was great fun.

That said, glad to see someone other than the Sox will be paying him millions while crossing their fingers that he doesn't break him down. The Sox were very fortunate to get what they got from him for so little.

Also glad I won't have to hear YOOOUUUUKKKK at The Cell anymore. That got old, fast (like before it even started).

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
FWIW, I liked Youk. He was a big improvement and I was satisfied with his performance. Made the season more fun.

He did make the season more fun. I applaud him for that. He was the only acquisition I can recall in quite a while who was excellent right from Day One. Of course he was miserable, totally awful the last month or so, but he was great the first few weeks. It was exciting and fun at the start. I can't deny that. I hated his defense. He was a sieve over there and Hawk didn't call him on it much.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 12:34 AM)
Youk is a winner. I wish him all the best.

I wish him the best, but don't know about the winner thing. He and Paulie (injury) and AJ and Dunn had a chance to kick some major ass the last month and carry us to a division title. They all failed, including Youk. Remember the Sox did have Detroit on the ropes for a while. I think it was 3 different series Sox coulda put them away and let Detroit back in the race each of those series. I'll give Rios credit. My memory may be off, but I don't remember him completely tanking like the other guys. I think he hit reasonably well from start to finish last year.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 01:06 AM)
That team is a ticking time bomb IMO.

Good luck in NYY Youk, you were an exciting acquisition and I enjoyed being able to shout YOOOOOOUUUUKKKK at games.

Youk filled the role he was acquired to fill for the time he was expected to fill it. Thanks Youk and good luck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
Then he also gets credit for his miserable slump causing us to miss the playoffs at the end of the season.

Oh good f***ing lord

-September and October (starters):

Viciedo: .896

Rios: .888

De Aza: .848

Beckham: .792

Konerko: .773

Dunn: .676

Pierzynski: .656

Youkilis: .649

Ramirez: .547

If you're going to blame the offense (mind you, the staff ERA was 4.04 for September and the Tigers' was 2.48), then you have just as much blame to put on Pierzynsky, Dunn and Ramirez as you do on Youkilis.

As much as I suggest the dude is a slimy bastard - quite honestly, I do believe so - there's no way the Sox final game with Detroit means a f***ing thing without him.

He is to blame for nothing.