2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
motherf***er you need to find a redbox if you're dropping games after 5 hours

redbox is going to be extinct soon if taylorstsox has anything to say about it. Were all supposed to pay 65 bucks for virtual copies of games that we dont actually own unless we follow a specific set of xbox rules.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
redbox is going to be extinct soon if taylorstsox has anything to say about it. Were all supposed to pay 65 bucks for virtual copies of games that we dont actually own unless we follow a specific set of xbox rules.

Well, XBOX blows and has for half a decade, silly.

He sorta misses the point of the Sony chant. There are fan boys on both sides (taylorstsox says hi), but people were happy about not having a bulls*** restriction with their console.

And I prefer the war. Competition is good for innovation. If these two companies played nice and had no reason to be any different than the gaming industry wouldn't keep advancing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
He sorta misses the point of the Sony chant. There are fan boys on both sides (taylorstsox says hi), but people were happy about not having a bulls*** restriction with their console.

And I prefer the war. Competition is good for innovation. If these two companies played nice and had no reason to be any different than the gaming industry wouldn't keep advancing.

I think he was talking more about competition between buyers, not so much the companies.

Competition between the two is good, that is why people hoping Xbox goes under is kinda weird. What do you think Sony would do if they had no one to compete against?

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
I think he was talking more about competition between buyers, not so much the companies.

Competition between the two is good, that is why people hoping Xbox goes under is kinda weird. What do you think Sony would do if they had no one to compete against?

I don't want them to go under, but I want them to drop their dumb policies. Like I said before, EA wised up because of the back lash and got rid of their online pass deal. That's a good thing. But I don't want EA to go under because, although they're an awful company, they occasionally put out a good game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)

This post ftw.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
I don't want them to go under, but I want them to drop their dumb policies. Like I said before, EA wised up because of the back lash and got rid of their online pass deal. That's a good thing. But I don't want EA to go under because, although they're an awful company, they occasionally put out a good game.

Indeed, NHL (insert number) is amazing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)

I bet it's more likely that Sony adopts policies like Microsoft, than the other way around.

How am I a fanboy? As I've said, Microsoft has great ideas, but I wouldn't put it past them to f*** it up. I think it's ridiculous in 2013 to have a cable box, a Roku box, a console, s***ty apps on a Smart TV and a laptop HDMI'd into a TV when you can solve it all in 1 machine. XBox has HBO, NFL and probably the Premier League. XBox has a better network, service and interface. That's worth 13 cents a day to me. DDR5 is completely unnecessary. The Xbox games at E3 looked better. I am interested to see how Kinect integrates with everything. As I've said, I probably won't buy a console for a long time. I no longer game enough to justify it, but if I do, it'll be an Xbox because I want a $400-500 console do more than just play games. If I was just interested in gaming, I'd get a Steam Box.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
Sony is subject to the license of the developers.

This is how it has always been. So Sony is being honest, you are just trying to unfairly impute the decision of the licensor on the licensee.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here, but 3rd party publishers have to pay licensing fees to the console manufacturers to sell games on their systems. Sony & Microsoft don't have to issue these licenses to developers and therefore can set up whatever used game policies they like.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say here, but 3rd party publishers have to pay licensing fees to the console manufacturers to sell games on their systems. Sony & Microsoft don't have to issue these licenses to developers and therefore can set up whatever used game policies they like.

Right and Sony is saying "We arent going to force game developers to have DRM".

There are 2 licenses, what Sony is saying is that they will not require developers to do anything and will leave it up to the developer.

And yes Sony could tell game developers that they wont allow them to sell on Sony if they have DRM, but Sony never said that they would do that. So I dont get where this is going. I never said Sony couldnt do it, Ive just said that Sony has been 100% honest about the fact that they will not require DRM.

/shrugs

Not exactly sure the relevance, but yes there are reciprocal licensing agreements, no one has said otherwise.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
How am I a fanboy? As I've said, Microsoft has great ideas, but I wouldn't put it past them to f*** it up. I think it's ridiculous in 2013 to have a cable box, a Roku box, a console, s***ty apps on a Smart TV and a laptop HDMI'd into a TV when you can solve it all in 1 machine. XBox has HBO, NFL and probably the Premier League. XBox has a better network, service and interface. That's worth 13 cents a day to me. DDR5 is completely unnecessary. The Xbox games at E3 looked better. I am interested to see how Kinect integrates with everything. As I've said, I probably won't buy a console for a long time. I no longer game enough to justify it, but if I do, it'll be an Xbox because I want a $400-500 console do more than just play games. If I was just interested in gaming, I'd get a Steam Box.

Not paying the subscription buys me the top-of-the-line Roku in 18 months. Don't pretend that it isn't a huge knock on the XBOX that I have to pay for services that every other device like it doesn't charge for.

Also, the Kinect is creepy as f***. Holy s*** man.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
Not paying the subscription buys me the top-of-the-line Roku in 18 months. Don't pretend that it isn't a huge knock on the XBOX that I have to pay for services that every other device like it doesn't charge for.

Also, the Kinect is creepy as f***. Holy s*** man.

The top of the line Roku? Jesus, man. You're smarter than that. 13 cents a day for an incredibly better service? The humanity!

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
The top of the line Roku? Jesus, man. You're smarter than that. 13 cents a day for an incredibly better service? The humanity!

Incredibly better how? Specifically, other than at playing video games. I can play video games on a PS4 with better specs without paying for its streaming services. I can pay for Roku, have no subscriptions, and stream my brains out. What am I missing?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 04:50 PM)
XBox has a better network, service and interface.

You keep saying this, but we know very little about those with the next gen. Sony is introducing cross-game chat. That was the biggest difference between the two previously. Outside of that changing, we don't know the interface or how the new networks are going to run.

Bottom line is the PS4 is cheaper and the hardware is virtually the same. That matters most to a lot of people. The used game policy probably shifts a few more people over, too, regardless of how little that may end up mattering in 3+ years. Sony is winning the PR battle and perception is reality.

If I had enough money, I'd happily buy both eventually. If I'm forced to take one, it's easily the PS4. Maybe in a few years with a price drop and a bundle I buy an XBox One.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 10:03 PM)
You keep saying this, but we know very little about those with the next gen. Sony is introducing cross-game chat. That was the biggest difference between the two previously. Outside of that changing, we don't know the interface or how the new networks are going to run.

Bottom line is the PS4 is cheaper and the hardware is virtually the same. That matters most to a lot of people. The used game policy probably shifts a few more people over, too, regardless of how little that may end up mattering in 3+ years. Sony is winning the PR battle and perception is reality.

If I had enough money, I'd happily buy both eventually. If I'm forced to take one, it's easily the PS4. Maybe in a few years with a price drop and a bundle I buy an XBox One.

If you weren't playing CoD, PSN was a barren wasteland of suck. It was like the Soviet Bloc of gaming. You trust Sony to change? Good luck. Microsoft has the history and the network and the backing of the NFL and HBO. I hope that DDR5 works out for you. Btw, I hate Microsofts exclusives. I don't play GoW or Halo. Not a fanboy.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
Cannot stop playing the last of us

The tension in this game is off the charts. It ends up being more of a horror game than anything else. I got 19% progress during the day today and stopped. Now I'm watching with the lights off at night and into the first scary part. Clickers are one of the best enemies ever because of how they react to you.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 14, 2013 -> 10:19 PM)
If you weren't playing CoD, PSN was a barren wasteland of suck. It was like the Soviet Bloc of gaming. You trust Sony to change? Good luck. Microsoft has the history and the network and the backing of the NFL and HBO. I hope that DDR5 works out for you. Btw, I hate Microsofts exclusives. I don't play GoW or Halo. Not a fanboy.

No one gives a s*** about DDR5.

And I always had good experiences online when I did online multiplayer on PS3, so your argument is a barren wasteland of unsubstantiated facts and idiocy. Also suck,

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2013 -> 12:03 AM)
Just when the xbox one could not be a bigger trainwreck, Microsoft announced that if you get banned from Live, you lise access to all of your games.

BUT IT'S THE FUTURE