Rick Hahn

ZionrulZ

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
We won the home opening series against them too.

I know its going to sound biased, but I'm still not overly sold on Detroit.

They are a solid team and are the favorites to win this division. But hell, the favorites to win this division never seem to win this division.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
I feel the need to repeat this post from a moderator this morning, to try to stress it.

Look, being a former moderator here myself, I promise, I am not just trying to drum up s*** here...but we don't need to go down this road of censoring opinions and frustrations just because a large majority of folks don't agree or want to hear them.

We are better than this here. If something is getting beaten to death, avoid the thread. No one is forcing anyone to read anything. But there is no need to start handing out suspensions for people voicing their frustrations over the lack of transactions this offseason. I get wite's frustrations, but that kind of oversight is just not soxtalk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
They are a solid team and are the favorites to win this division. But hell, the favorites to win this division never seem to win this division.

I know they've won the division two years running, but remember, in 2011 they were an 89 win team (pyth), and Cy Young winning Verlander made them look better than they actually were (6.3 WAR), but hardly the as great as their W-L advertised. Last season it took the Sox not being able to beat them and a Sox collapse to get the division title and their rotation (which is pretty good, can't knock it too much), but that's what got them into the World Series. Not to mention they got the luxury of playing Oakland at home for two games despite Oakland having the better record.

Not to mention their defense except for Jackson, and Infante isn't all that great, their bullpen is suspect and, like the Sox, Detroit has question marks in their line up. Can Martinez produce? Can Dirks put up those numbers over a whole season? Can Hunter prove his 2012 wasn't a fluke despite a high BABIP in a hitters park.

I'm not saying the Tigers are awful, or that they're not any good, but I gotta look at things from all perspectives. I know the media is going to slobber over Detroit, KC, and probably Cleveland, but I find them overrated.

I felt the same way last year.

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
I'm not saying the Tigers are awful, or that they're not any good, but I gotta look at things from all perspectives. I know the media is going to slobber over Detroit, KC, and probably Cleveland, but I find them overrated.

I think Detroit has probably gone from being an 88 win team to a 91-92 win team with Martinez back, Sanchez for the full year, and Hunter in the fold. They could be seriously better than that...but they could also be worse. Injuries always play in, and a small decrease in performance from Cabrera if he doesn't get in quite as good of shape this offseason or has his ankle go bad again at 3b could hit as well.

Why you play the games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
I think Detroit has probably gone from being an 88 win team to a 91-92 win team with Martinez back, Sanchez for the full year, and Hunter in the fold. They could be seriously better than that...but they could also be worse. Injuries always play in, and a small decrease in performance from Cabrera if he doesn't get in quite as good of shape this offseason or has his ankle go bad again at 3b could hit as well.

Why you play the games.

Right, obviously anything can happen in baseball, they very well could win 100 games, or only 80 games. But, I feel that given the evidence, and the circumstances, the latter is more likely.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Right, obviously anything can happen in baseball, they very well could win 100 games, or only 80 games. But, I feel that given the evidence, and the circumstances, the latter is more likely.

I don't think either of those is more likely. I think they're about equally likely, because I think they're about a 90 win team, so a whole lot would have to go wrong for them to be below .500, just like a awhole lot would have to go right for them to close in on 100 wins.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
I don't think either of those is more likely. I think they're about equally likely, because I think they're about a 90 win team, so a whole lot would have to go wrong for them to be below .500, just like a awhole lot would have to go right for them to close in on 100 wins.

Right, and I wasn't advocating 80 wins for say, more or less I don't think they're as OP as they're given credit for.

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
Look, being a former moderator here myself, I promise, I am not just trying to drum up s*** here...but we don't need to go down this road of censoring opinions and frustrations just because a large majority of folks don't agree or want to hear them.

For whatever it is worth, I agree with this.

Since people want this to seemingly be a public conversation, here goes. Pretty much Soxtalk is like most things. The content from about 1% of posters results in about 95% of the complaints the staff receives. Being fully honest here, it gets to the point where people can become detrimental to the overall conversation on the site, because their posts and the responses to the posts can't just stick in one thread. It jumps from thread to thread and forum to forum. The worst is when the poster skirt the rules as closely as possible and still generate a high level of problems. It creates a whole level of problems that no one on the staff wants to deal with. A very few times we have even had to ban posters for no other reason than the amount of fights that they generate. Trust me when I say that there are about five people right now who are getting to that point. I don't know if it is the off-season, or what, but the staff is to that point. We have had the discussions, and don't really want to do it, but if it gets to the point where this is the only option, it will be done again. People can take this post however they want, but this is the full out truth of the situation, good, bad, or indifferent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
Since people want this to seemingly be a public conversation, here goes. Pretty much Soxtalk is like most things. The content from about 1% of posters results in about 95% of the complaints the staff receives. Being fully honest here, it gets to the point where people can become detrimental to the overall conversation on the site, because their posts and the responses to the posts can't just stick in one thread. It jumps from thread to thread and forum to forum. The worst is when the poster skirt the rules as closely as possible and still generate a high level of problems. It creates a whole level of problems that no one on the staff wants to deal with. A very few times we have even had to ban posters for no other reason than the amount of fights that they generate. Trust me when I say that there are about five people right now who are getting to that point. I don't know if it is the off-season, or what, but the staff is to that point. We have had the discussions, and don't really want to do it, but if it gets to the point where this is the only option, it will be done again. People can take this post however they want, but this is the full out truth of the situation, good, bad, or indifferent.

I don't see the downside in getting rid of instigators who make a constant effort to "skirt the rules".

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)
I don't see the downside in getting rid of instigators who make a constant effort to "skirt the rules".

The downside is we really don't like running the board that way. We prefer to let things police themselves as much as possible, and leave posters some latitude. It really is a move of last resort around these parts.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
Just curious, but what position would the left handed bat that people are seeking play for the Sox?

More than likely, from LF (Viciedo, although he could also move to 1B) or it would have to be one of the 3 infield positions.

Sanchez isn't going to give you much power, no matter where he ends up playing on the IF.

And there aren't a whole lot of LH hitting 3B on the market these days.

2B is the other place one could look, depending on what happens with Beckham, as it's not easy to find a LH power hitting catcher either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:22 PM)
More than likely, from LF (Viciedo, although he could also move to 1B) or it would have to be one of the 3 infield positions.

Sanchez isn't going to give you much power, no matter where he ends up playing on the IF.

And there aren't a whole lot of LH hitting 3B on the market these days.

2B is the other place one could look, depending on what happens with Beckham, as it's not easy to find a LH power hitting catcher either.

Okay, and are people looking for a free agent to play left field, or are people looking for Hahn to make a trade to fill this left handed bat role? (Like a Lofton signing that one Sox Fest)

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
I know that this is EXTREMELY unlikely, but Bourn is still available and a LH bat... I doubt the Sox would make a move like that, especially considering his agent, but he really does fit that impact LH bat that would help the team.

Unless we put Viciedo at 3B there isn't really room for him... and than we would have 2 3B who are bad at defense and mash lefties primarily.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)
I would trade Viciedo if Bourn was signed. Get some young talent for the minors.

Viciedo is young talent from the minors, and you're really not going to get much else for him. Bourn really isn't a good fit for this team for a number of reasons.