Engagement Rings

iamshack

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
I just negotiated a package with them that includes a bunch of extra crap. Just paid the retainer. Next in line is the videographer and the DJ. Once we have them locked up I will feel much better.

The DJ is extremely important. Videographer is really a waste. But I'm not gonna be there so...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
that 5-6k doesn't even include video (that you'll probably never watch)??

No video. You know I agree about the video. I think it is great and all, but how many times are you going to watch that? 5 times? And they want $3-4k for that kind of thing.

Nuts.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
The DJ is extremely important. Videographer is really a waste. But I'm not gonna be there so...

Yeah, I agree.

I mean the video is cute and all, but really, like SS said, how many times are you going to watch it? The wife wants it though.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
When I die, f*** it I wanna go to hell

Cause I'm a piece of s***, it ain't hard to f***in' tell

It don't make sense, goin' to heaven wit the goodie-goodies

Dressed in white, I like black Tims and black hoodies

God will probably have me on some real strict s***

No sleepin' all day, no gettin my dick licked

Hangin' with the goodie-goodies loungin' in paradise

f*** that s***, I wanna tote guns and shoot dice

:)

That might have been my favorite track on Ready to Die. Luckily as a 12 year old I was smart enough to realize it was just entertainment.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
No video. You know I agree about the video. I think it is great and all, but how many times are you going to watch that? 5 times? And they want $3-4k for that kind of thing.

Nuts.

My grandpa has a video of our ceremony. We've never watched it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
That is right about what my entire wedding cost in 2000.

Ours was a little bit more than that for ~160 guests. Granted the actual wedding was its own separate expense, but we could have had a quick ceremony at the reception without an extra cost.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 1, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
Ours was a little bit more than that for ~160 guests. Granted the actual wedding was its own separate expense, but we could have had a quick ceremony at the reception without an extra cost.

The actual wedding part was a $50 donation to the church. The rest was all reception and the like.

I've seen 3 of my buddies get married and they all tell me the same about planning. How much of a pain in the ass it is and how their input doesn't matter, yada yada yada.

My dream is to just elope, but don't tell my mom that. She'd disown me if I didn't get married in a church, despite me not going to church for the past 8 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:06 AM)
Food was great. You guys are just seeing suburban inflation.

Yup, and even then, you can have great food without blowing ridiculous amounts of money. Banquet hall wedding food hasn't been that great in my experience, anyway.

One of my friends did a similar setup to what we did, a destination wedding with a handful of people and then a big backyard reception. They had a pig roast as they were doing a luau-themed party. Better than $50/plate lemon fish or chicken.

Re: the video. I wasn't that pushed on getting a video done for ours, but it was important for my wife so we went ahead an got one. I have to say, I'm delighted we did. It was really well put together and we've had some great laughs watching it. Haven't watched it in a good while now, but it will be nice to dust off and look back at in the future. I'm glad we have it. Just don't go forcing others to watch it!

For us, it was a great help having a wedding planner as we were married in Belarus, so were making the arrangements from a long distance away. I also made sure to have 50/50 input in any of the decisions (apart from her dress, obviously!). The main thing was that everyone had fun. The crew that assembled for our wedding really went full throttle - we had an absolute blast. And, anything that didn't go according to plan on the day - what's the point in stressing about it?

For not much over €12,000, we sorted all the various ceremonial expenses, transport, photos, video, entertainment, DJ, food and drink for a two day wedding with about 70 guests. But that was in Belarus.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Yup, and even then, you can have great food without blowing ridiculous amounts of money. Banquet hall wedding food hasn't been that great in my experience, anyway.

One of my friends did a similar setup to what we did, a destination wedding with a handful of people and then a big backyard reception. They had a pig roast as they were doing a luau-themed party. Better than $50/plate lemon fish or chicken.

Such a rip-off. When they are mass-producing that many plates of the same food, it's never that good. Anyway, how many weddings have you been to where the great food is the first thing you remember? I barely remember what I had for dinner at the wedding I attended last Saturday.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
Such a rip-off. When they are mass-producing that many plates of the same food, it's never that good. Anyway, how many weddings have you been to where the great food is the first thing you remember? I barely remember what I had for dinner at the wedding I attended last Saturday.

Yeah, the banquet style stuff is usually fairly mediocre.

There is a pretty decent barbecue place here in town called Lucille's that will do the food on site...4 meats, a salad, and 4 sides for about $25/person...for 140ish people, I think that will put us at about $4k on the food, which I don't think is too bad.

People will enjoy that more than the banquet type food, and I think people will get a kick out of watching (and smelling) them grill up all that great bbq food.

Now I just have to start planning how to handle the booze situation...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
There is a pretty decent barbecue place here in town called Lucille's that will do the food on site...4 meats, a salad, and 4 sides for about $25/person...for 140ish people, I think that will put us at about $4k on the food, which I don't think is too bad.

People will enjoy that more than the banquet type food, and I think people will get a kick out of watching (and smelling) them grill up all that great bbq food.

We had a bar through our catering service but also stocked up on our own alcohol for after 11PM

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)

We did food ourselves (well through people we knew) for just under $10 a person in 2000.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
We had a bar through our catering service but also stocked up on our own alcohol for after 11PM

We supplied the bar ourselves as well. We got a few beer choices, plus about five basic alcohols and some mixers to go with it to make most of your main drinks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)

Their biscuits are good.

The suit...what did you guys wear? The rental tux? Buy a tux? Buy a suit? Go with a tie? Bowtie?

I'm thinking I'm going to buy something...just not sure if I want to go with a tux or with a suit. A suit I will actually use again. A tux will sit in my closet and collect dust most likely. So I am leaning towards a suit...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
The suit...what did you guys wear? The rental tux? Buy a tux? Buy a suit? Go with a tie? Bowtie?

I'm thinking I'm going to buy something...just not sure if I want to go with a tux or with a suit. A suit I will actually use again. A tux will sit in my closet and collect dust most likely. So I am leaning towards a suit...

Tux's are cheap. 100-200 bucks at most. A decent suit is gonna run you 2-3 times that easy.

edit: and let her pick what you wear.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
Tux's are cheap. 100-200 bucks at most. A decent suit is gonna run you 2-3 times that easy.

edit: and let her pick what you wear.

Yeah, I don't think I can bring myself to rent...usually, the groom's tux is actually free if you bring your groomsmen in to get theirs there.

And NOOOO she is not choosing what I wear. I am one dapper S-O-B...if I am paying through the nose for these pictures, I am going to look like one bad mfer!