Ventura stressing more contact and less K's

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 09:45 PM)
Have you seen how many times De aza k'd last season??

Hint: he was third on the team...

I never said anything about De Aza striking out, but he's a leadoff hitter, so who cares if he strike outs a lot. He leads off the game with no one on base and then comes to bat the rest of the game after our worst hitters. Plus contact isn't needed from him, as he won't have a lot of opportunities to drive guys in or move runners along.

OBP is what matters for him and he put up a .349 rate last year.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 27, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
When he said it, I'm sure he wasn't talking about the DH and the 8/9 hitters. The Sox are going to get a combined 80 HR's from those guys. How many other teams can say that?

I'd actually lay down some cash that Dunn, Flowers, and Viciedo don't reach 80 homers this year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
I'd actually lay down some cash that Dunn, Flowers, and Viciedo don't reach 80 homers this year.

If Dunn hits 40 again, than 80 is pretty realistic. I just don't see him hitting that many, more like 30.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
If Dunn hits 40 again, than 80 is pretty realistic. I just don't see him hitting that many, more like 30.

That was kinda my point. Adam Dunn was more 2011 Adam Dunn (albeit with added power) once June rolled around. His OPS was painfully low over the last two months of last season. Now, he's a year older, and yet again coming off a putrid finish to the season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
That was kinda my point. Adam Dunn was more 2011 Adam Dunn (albeit with added power) once June rolled around. His OPS was painfully low over the last two months of last season. Now, he's a year older, and yet again coming off a putrid finish to the season.

Because he was hurt, and then later in the year, he was hurt some more. I wish players on the Sox didn't feel the need to be superman and play through pain, and I wish and hope Ventura is better able to pick up on that pain this year so he can sit their ass.

I honestly don't worry about Dunn in the least so long as he's healthy. That hasn't happened in a while.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I honestly don't worry about Dunn in the least so long as he's healthy. That hasn't happened in a while.

Because he's old and, not to throw a log on a sometimes annoying fire - just because it pertains to your point, doesn't take the best care of his body.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
Because he's old and, not to throw a log on a sometimes annoying fire - just because it pertains to your point, doesn't take the best care of his body.

Oh don't get me wrong, for the most part I agree. It his style of play too - swing as hard as you can, 100% of the time - that creates some of these injuries too.

I just think that, if handled properly, he's going to hit 40+ homers again with relative ease.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
Oh don't get me wrong, for the most part I agree. It his style of play too - swing as hard as you can, 100% of the time - that creates some of these injuries too.

I just think that, if handled properly, he's going to hit 40+ homers again with relative ease.

I think we can all agree on one thing - he will be called the Big Donkey at some point next season.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
Why so low on Flowers? Are you thinking he won't finish the season as the starter?

There's more right-handed starters in baseball than left-handed starters, and I just don't have much faith in Flowers. I have become a bit of a Sox pessimist due to year after year teases in the summer only to be disappointed come September. I just don't see Flowers as a guy who can hit consistently enough to warrant the ABs he'd need to get past 15 HRs this year, and certainly not 20.

That being said, who the f*** else are the Sox going to throw out there? We'll see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
Is he planning on cutting Adam Dunn?

I know that this quote is supposed to be funny but it's off base. Dunn striking out a zillion times is part of what the White Sox paid for. It's the other guys. Even Viciedo hits HR's to balance out the K's. Beckham and Ramirez are the two worst culprits and they are adding Flowers to the mix. Beckham and Alexei don't offer enough power to strikeout as much as they do. It's not even the strikeouts as much as the outs. The White Sox have way too many outs in their lineup. Beckham, Viciedo, and Ramirez are just out way too often. It is impossible to have 3 sub .300 obp guys. While the strikeouts are tough to watch, I care much more about the outs committed in general. The majority of the board hates Adam Dunn but the reality is that he committed like the 3rd fewest outs on the team last year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
I know that this quote is supposed to be funny but it's off base. Dunn striking out a zillion times is part of what the White Sox paid for. It's the other guys. Even Viciedo hits HR's to balance out the K's. Beckham and Ramirez are the two worst culprits and they are adding Flowers to the mix. Beckham and Alexei don't offer enough power to strikeout as much as they do. It's not even the strikeouts as much as the outs. The White Sox have way too many outs in their lineup. Beckham, Viciedo, and Ramirez are just out way too often. It is impossible to have 3 sub .300 obp guys. While the strikeouts are tough to watch, I care much more about the outs committed in general. The majority of the board hates Adam Dunn but the reality is that he committed like the 3rd fewest outs on the team last year.

I like your post here. Do it more.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
If Viciedo only hits 22, I'll quit the Internet.

Same here, I think 25 to 30 is a pretty safe bet if he stays healthy.

People need to realize two things about Viciedo, first he was extremely raw coming out of Cuba and second he was rushed through the minors. It took him a couple years to start putting everything together, but in 2011 at AAA he showed much improved contact ability and pitch recognition in addition to the power potential he had previously displayed. Unfortunately, people who look at his year end totals won't see the whole picture, as he broke his thumb in spring training and started off slowly as his thumb was still healing.

Regardless, his K % increased by 5 or 6 percentage points in the majors last year. That number will go down as he makes adjustments, and as it does he'll make more contact and hit more home runs.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Same here, I think 25 to 30 is a pretty safe bet if he stays healthy.

People need to realize two things about Viciedo, first he was extremely raw coming out of Cuba and second he was rushed through the minors. It took him a couple years to start putting everything together, but in 2011 at AAA he showed much improved contact ability and pitch recognition in addition to the power potential he had previously displayed. Unfortunately, people who look at his year end totals won't see the whole picture, as he broke his thumb in spring training and started off slowly as his thumb was still healing.

Regardless, his K % increased by 5 or 6 percentage points in the majors last year. That number will go down as he makes adjustments, and as it does he'll make more contact and hit more home runs.

Please post more often. You should have way more than 1,300 posts

If they don't, we are looking at a 4th place team.

Honestly, I think the Sox pitching is good enough to ensure that they finish ahead of Minnesota and Cleveland. Barring substantial injuries, ofcourse.

I really am looking forward to the battle with K.C. It looks like they will be a very interesting team to watch at the least.

I am just curious. Does anyone have any idea of when a team last had a .200 hitter batting third all season? Has it ever happened?

If they don't, we are looking at a 4th place team.

Honestly, I think the Sox pitching is good enough to ensure that they finish ahead of Minnesota and Cleveland. Barring substantial injuries, ofcourse.

I really am looking forward to the battle with K.C. It looks like they will be a very interesting team to watch at the least.

I am just curious. Does anyone have any idea of when a team last had a .200 hitter batting third all season? Has it ever happened?

QUOTE (WilburWilhelm @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)

Dunn wasn't in the really low .200's until the final 2 months of the season.

Before that, he was consistently in the .220's or .230's, which isn't great, but it's not .195 to .210 either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 28, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Dunn wasn't in the really low .200's until the final 2 months of the season.

Before that, he was consistently in the .220's or .230's, which isn't great, but it's not .195 to .210 either.

The last time his average was at least .220 was June 22, the 70th game of the season.