2013 Cubs catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
Paul Sullivan@PWSullivan

Marmol trade to Dodgers official. Cubs gets Guerrier. Dodgers also get No. 4 intl signing binus slot. Cubs send Torreyes to Houston.

They get the Astros number 2 and 3 international signing bonus slots from that last trade

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 12:55 PM)
Really? Are we looking at the same guys? Feldman didn't cost em much, but what did they exactly get?

Arrieta has some nasty stuff. He could flat rape the NL.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
Paul Sullivan@PWSullivan

Marmol trade to Dodgers official. Cubs gets Guerrier. Dodgers also get No. 4 intl signing binus slot. Cubs send Torreyes to Houston.

Are the Dodgers getting $$$ from Cubs?

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
They get the Astros number 2 and 3 international signing bonus slots from that last trade

I'm so f***ing confused with these new draft and signing rules and what not. I don't even want to spend the time to learn either.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
I'm so f***ing confused with these new draft and signing rules and what not. I don't even want to spend the time to learn either.

Whats really happening now is teams are just screwing the system. Teams are collecting more bonus money slots and some teams are going way over their bonus pool because the consequences only impact them for one year. Time for a International Player Draft.4

Cubs are collecting slots with the trades they are doing

The Rangers spent roughly 4.4 million in this free agency period when they only had I think it was 1.6 million. They cant spend any next year but the year after they can spend a huge amount of money again.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Whats really happening now is teams are just screwing the system. Teams are collecting more bonus money slots and some teams are going way over their bonus pool because the consequences only impact them for one year. Time for a International Player Draft.4

Cubs are collecting slots with the trades they are doing

The Rangers spent roughly 4.4 million in this free agency period when they only had I think it was 1.6 million. They cant spend any next year but the year after they can spend a huge amount of money again.

The Rangers can just about do anything they want with their war chest, funded by their regional broadcasting rights deal and the added $25 million coming in next year.

Crazy that a team went from completely bankrupt under Tom Hicks to one of the five most powerful in less than half a decade.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
mlbtraderumors stating that Cubs will sign Jimenez. Kinda shocking to see the top 3 guys on MLB.com list signed by the Chicago teams.

It's a big move. The new draft rules really hurt the style of Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer. But when you hire those guys you do it because you trust that they will be able to find the new inefficiency in the market and exploit it at all costs. They have done so with these moves. Not all of these guys will pan out but when you invest this much on the top talent some of them are bound to hit.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
It's a big move. The new draft rules really hurt the style of Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer. But when you hire those guys you do it because you trust that they will be able to find the new inefficiency in the market and exploit it at all costs. They have done so with these moves. Not all of these guys will pan out but when you invest this much on the top talent some of them are bound to hit.

Are you Dan Berstein? What inefficiency have they exploited here? They had the second largest bonus pool because their team sucked balls last year. That reason alone gives them an edge with the top players. It doesn't make Theo & Jed genuises.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 11:05 PM)
Are you Dan Berstein? What inefficiency have they exploited here? They had the second largest bonus pool because their team sucked balls last year. That reason alone gives them an edge with the top players. It doesn't make Theo & Jed genuises.

True, but trading for all that slot money was pretty smart of them. The return on Feldman was super mediocre, but they got that slot money that helped land Eloy. So in their minds, they trade Feldman for Arrieta, Strop, and Eloy Jimenez. I didn't see Rick Hahn trading off Jared Mitchell for slot money and using that for more Int'l talent, but I would have liked to.

Cubs To Sign Eloy Jimenez

By Steve Adams [July 2 at 10:24pm CST]

Top international prospect Eloy Jimenez has decided to turn down more money from another club to sign with the Cubs, according to MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez (on Twitter). Jimenez, a 16-year-old outfielder from the Dominican Republic, is regarded as the top international prospect in this year's July 2 class by both Baseball America and MLB.com. According to Sanchez, an announcement should come within the next few days.

At just 16 years of age, Jimenez is 6'4" and 200 pounds, and Baseball America's Ben Badler says that his average raw power and flat swing produce line drives -- a combination that could lead to above-average home run power in the future. MLB.com raved about Jimenez in their Top 30:

"Considered the crown jewel of the Class of 2013, Jimenez has one of the best baseball bodies available this year and is considered to be the total package. The teenager has impressed scouts with his intelligence, plus-speed, and gap-to-gap power that is expected to improve as he grows into his body."

As MLBTR's Tim Dierkes noted earlier today (Twitter link), the Cubs added just over $963K in additional international bonus money in trades with the Orioles and Astros. That glut of pool space has helped them reach agreements with both Jimenez and shortstop Gleyber Torres, whom Baseball America ranked as this year's No. 2 international prospect and MLB.com ranked third.

Why don't you do some research before you question me on this. I don't come on this site and just spout off nonsense. Nor am I a Cubs fan. Even with their 2nd largest bonus pool, they could not sign all of the guys that they wanted. They traded for more bonus pool money. It is something that not many other teams did. That is how they found loopholes and exploited the market. I would have liked it if the Sox did something like this.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
Why don't you do some research before you question me on this. I don't come on this site and just spout off nonsense. Nor am I a Cubs fan. Even with their 2nd largest bonus pool, they could not sign all of the guys that they wanted. They traded for more bonus pool money. It is something that not many other teams did. That is how they found loopholes and exploited the market. I would have liked it if the Sox did something like this.

Winning international signing day is not necessarily as great thing as one might expect.

Here are the top Int'l signing bonuses from '08, none of these guys are lighting the world on fire to my knowledge:

1 P Michel Inoa A's Dominican Republic $4.25M

2 OF Rafael Rodriguez Giants Dominican Republic $2.55M

3 OF Yorman Rodriguez Reds Venezuela $2.5M

4 P Adys Portillo Padres Venezuela $2.0M

5 OF Luis Domoromo Padres Venezuela $1.25M

6t 3B Roberto De La Cruz Cardinals Dominican Republic $1.1M

6t OF Julio Morban Mariners Dominican Republic $1.1M

8 SS Alvaro Aristy Padres Dominican Republic $1.0M

9 SS Gian Carlos Arias Yankees Dominican Republic $950,000

10 OF Ramon Flores Yankees Venezuela $775,000

2007 has a few recognizable names, but the overall story is about the same:

Kelvin De Leon OF $1,100,000 2007 D.R.

Young Il-Jung RHP $1,000,000 2007 Korea

Julio Teheran RHP $850,000 2007 Colombia

Martin Perez LHP $580,000 2007 Venezuela

Jefry Marte 3B $550,000 2007 D.R.

Dae-Eun Rhee RHP $525,000 2007 Korea

Cesar Puello OF $400,000 2007 D.R.

Rymer Liriano OF $300,000 2007 D.R.

Esmailin Caridad RHP $175,000 2007 D.R.

Tomas Telis C $130,000 2007 Venezuela

Point is, international signing is a must, but unless someone is an off the charts talent, they odds are they will most likely never see a MLB ball field. They are much more of a crap shoot than the American draft. It is better to go for bulk and see what sticks in my opinion then place all your eggs in one basket like both Chicago teams have done.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 3, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)

These teams aren't just giving the Cubs their bonus pool money because Theo & Jed are so charming. They are trading away some of their bonus pool money instead of giving up another asset. I still don't see what loophole they are exploiting here.

Throw $4M at the wall and hope some of it sticks, not a bad move but nothing earth shattering.