Konerko / Dunn

justBLAZE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 03:06 AM)
Adam Dunn one of Kenny Williams' final gifts to White Sox fans everywhere.

Look on the bright side: We're now officially more than halfway through his contract and by the time it's over one of our young guys can take over at about 1/30th of the price.

Love Kenny for the WS but he really did leave this team in a total mess. To me, the Adam Dunn signing takes the cake over the Ritchie trade, the Danks extension, the Jackson trade, and both Swisher trades. Dunn has been nothing short of a disaster.

Dunn has a .186 Batting Average in his 977 at bats in a Sox uniform. That's a big enough sample size for me.

1,000 at bats is enough to evaluate even a rookie. It's certainly enough to evaluate a veteran.

I've said it before; this team is not a playoff contender with him batting anywhere in the heart of the order.

Manto has to get him to change his approach. It just isn't working. Choke up, use left field more, shorten the long swing, or

try anything else.

If someone would take most of that contract, I'd much prefer that he be off this roster.

Grady Sizemore for the second half of the season is looking more intriguing to me, every day.

Move Viciedo to DH, put Sizemore in CF, and de Aza in LF.

Lineup:

de Aza

Keppinger

Rios

Sizemore

Konerko

Viciedo

Ramirez

Flowers

Beckham (when he comes back)

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 07:17 AM)
Dunn has a .186 Batting Average in his 977 at bats in a Sox uniform. That's a big enough sample size for me.

1,000 at bats is enough to evaluate even a rookie. It's certainly enough to evaluate a veteran.

I've said it before; this team is not a playoff contender with him batting anywhere in the heart of the order.

Manto has to get him to change his approach. It just isn't working. Choke up, use left field more, shorten the long swing, or

try anything else.

If someone would take most of that contract, I'd much prefer that he be off this roster.

Grady Sizemore for the second half of the season is looking more intriguing to me, every day.

Lineup:

de Aza

Keppinger

Rios

Sizemore

Konerko

Viciedo

Ramirez

Flowers

Yes please can we rush right out and sign Sizemore. That .659 OPS he's put up since 2010 will look really intimidating as our cleanup hitter.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
Yes please can we rush right out and sign Sizemore. That .659 OPS he's put up since 2010 will look really intimidating as our cleanup hitter.

I agree with Lillian. The .184 batting average Dunn has put up since 2011 is totally unacceptable. The .220 batting average Sizemore has put up since 2010 is exactly the solution. JUST THINK OF THE UPGRADE!

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 07:17 AM)

try anything else.

Lineup:

de Aza

Keppinger

Rios

Sizemore

Konerko

Viciedo

Ramirez

Flowers

Uh...what...?

Todd Ritchie was just mediocre talent being traded for bad talent. Nobody should care about that deal.

He gave $19 million over 4 years to Scott Linebrink to set up for a year and a half, pitch mopup for a year and a half, and then he ate salary to move him for nobody in the 4th year. That was by far a worse move.

The entire Nick Swisher debacle was an unmitigated disaster.

Oh, and mind you, Adam Dunn still hit 40+ homers last year.

Anybody complaining about Adam Dunn's production on the field needs to look elsewhere because there are far more people not doing their jobs. Adam Dunn has done about what was expected of him coming in, he just hasn't quite lived up to exactly what he was billed to do. These are the same exact people who b****ed about Jim Thome too. Dunn isn't going anywhere, he's still a productive hitter, and you're going to have to accept him for what he is - a guy who is going to hit home runs, strike out, and walk.

Also, 9 games into the season and we're talking about getting rid of Adam Dunn for Grady Sizemore. Come on man, GTFO with that s***.

It wasn't the trade for Ritchie itself.

There's no doubt that Kip Wells wouldn't have enjoyed the same success for 2-3 years in Chicago he did originally with the Pirates, pitching in a non-stressful environment and looking almost like an ace at times.

It was seriously undervaluing Fogg and never being able to find a place for him (was he a starter, reliever or closer) and also dealing away more depth in Lowe, who wasn't getting along well with the coaching staff at the time.

That put us into a three or four year period (2001-2004, along with David Wells getting injured/non-performing/fighting with Frank) where we just didn't have a reliable 5th starter at all...to the point it was such a black hole that it largely cost us the division in 2003 (Kenny Rogers vs. our fifth starters, look up the stats).

Edited by caulfield12

You guys are really funny. So you agree that we have to get rid of Dunn, but don't like the idea of taking a chance on Sizemore.

OK, what left handed bat is available? You can't seriously believe that the Sox could be competitive without a single left handed hitter besides de Aza.

Sizemore's performance before he went on the DL is irrelevant. You don't seriously think that he's a .220 hitter, when healthy, do you?

His only issue is health. I'd rather gamble on that, then Dunn learning to make contact at this late date in his career.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
Yeah guys, I wish we never signed Adam Dunn. Remember how much better it was when we had Mark Kotsay?

DOOD DEY WON 88 GAMES W/ DA KOTSAY MUSTA BEEN GOOD

---

I honestly have no problem if people complain about how much Dunn is making because the Sox could have made other additions and he is overpaid anymore, but to complain about his production is like complaining about Konerko's production last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
It wasn't the trade for Ritchie itself.

There's no doubt that Kip Wells wouldn't have enjoyed the same success for 2-3 years in Chicago he did originally with the Pirates, pitching in a non-stressful environment and looking almost like an ace at times.

It was seriously undervaluing Fogg and never being able to find a place for him (was he a starter, reliever or closer) and also dealing away more depth in Lowe, who wasn't getting along well with the coaching staff at the time.

That put us into a three or four year period (2001-2004, along with David Wells getting injured/non-performing/fighting with Frank) where we just didn't have a reliable 5th starter at all...to the point it was such a black hole that it largely cost us the division in 2003 (Kenny Rogers vs. our fifth starters, look up the stats).

The reason that trade was bad was because of Josh Fogg? And not Kip Wells??

Josh Fogg never put up an ERA+ of 100 as a starting pitcher. The best ERA he put up was 4.35. He was a back of the rotation starting pitcher.

Between 2002 and 2003, Kip Wells put up an ERA of 3.43 over 395 innings. He was an incredibly good starting pitcher. Then he encountered injuries and his career fell by the way side. If you don't think the Sox could have used him in either year, you're crazy.

No, the reason they lost the trade was because of Kip Wells.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
Sizemore's performance before he went on the DL is irrelevant. You don't seriously think that he's a .220 hitter, when healthy, do you?

His only issue is health. I'd rather gamble on that, then Dunn learning to make contact at this late date in his career.

Also, I just read this. Saying the only issue with Sizemore is his health is like saying the only issue with Juan Gonzalez is his health, or the only issue with Barry Bonds is his steroids, or the only issue with Carlton Fisk is his age, or the only issue with me is my talent. Oh sure, everything else checks out, but that issue? Yeah, that's why it won't work.

You guys are really funny. So you agree that we have to get rid of Dunn, but don't like the idea of taking a chance on Sizemore.

OK, what left handed bat is available? You can't seriously believe that the Sox could be competitive without a single left handed hitter besides de Aza.

Apparently I got a flux capacitor for Easter, because that would involve going back in time to 2008. That is the last time he played more than 106 games in a season. Also Dunn's .800 OPS last year was greater than anything that Grady has put up since 2008.

OK, what left handed bat is available? You can't seriously believe that the Sox could be competitive without a singe left handed hitter besides de Aza.

Come on now, we're not taking Dunn out of the lineup. He hasn't been that bad, at least not since 2011.

The problem is with De Aza, Keppinger, & Rios at the top of the lineup, guys with solid OBP and speed (at least De Aza & Rios), having Dunn's all or nothing approach in the cleanup spot is killing us. We need to flip flop him and Paulie. Let's take advantage of Konerko's significantly better contact abilities and not strand all these baserunners when Dunn fails to hit a HR.

I'm cool with Dunn batting behind Konerko. PK is so slow that it's almost always going to take two hits to drive him from 1st. Having Dunn's all or nothing approach is fine there. I just don't see any value in batting Dunn in front of Konerko.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 07:43 AM)
Come on now, we're not taking Dunn out of the lineup. He hasn't been that bad, at least not since 2011.

The problem is with De Aza, Keppinger, & Rios at the top of the lineup, guys with solid OBP and speed (at least De Aza & Rios), having Dunn's all or nothing approach in the cleanup spot is killing us. We need to flip flop him and Paulie. Let's take advantage of Konerko's significantly better contact abilities and not strand all these baserunners when Dunn fails to hit a HR.

I'm cool with Dunn batting behind Konerko. PK is so slow that it's almost always going to take two hits to drive him from 1st. Having Dunn's all or nothing approach is fine there. I just don't see any value in batting Dunn in front of Konerko.

That makes sense to me. Thanks

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 09:42 AM)
Apparently I got a flux capacitor for Easter, because that would involve going back in time to 2008. That is the last time he played more than 106 games in a season. Also Dunn's .800 OPS last year was greater than anything that Grady has put up since 2008.

If we're doing that can we just bring back Frank Thomas?

Please?