Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 11:07 PM)
salah.png

Worst part is, I think this is what the FBI had it narrowed down to too from the sound of it. The other person is his friend, so I think he's out too.

I am guessing the backpack is just in front of him then? Wow. Just nuts. They literally fit the bill perfectly.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 04:16 AM)
I am guessing the backpack is just in front of him then? Wow. Just nuts. They literally fit the bill perfectly.

Yeah. I think the FBI is very lost or CNN f***ed up yet again with the photos from their "sources". Probably the latter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
They should sue for libel. They won't win but it will still punish ny post a lot of money.

The problem is the language. On that page, they Post doesn't call them "Suspects" or obviously say that they did it, they just say that the Feds want to interview them.

That's notably different from when they said that the Saudi man was a "Suspect".

If the Feds want to interview them, then nothing on that page is incorrect.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:13 AM)
They should sue for libel. They won't win but it will still punish ny post a lot of money.

Should they sue every single internet person and post who connected them as well? Most of those kind of posts when way further than the NY Post did.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:07 AM)
OOPS!

BIIhPvQCIAE3hlO.jpg

@mylesnmiller

CBS' John Miller says these men identified by the NYPost are not the two suspects law enforcement seek.

@joshtpm

As they say at the NYPost, if at first u don't succeed w an Arab guy, try, try again.

/facepalm

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
Should they sue every single internet person and post who connected them as well? Most of those kind of posts when way further than the NY Post did.

Random internet posts aren't a national 'news' organization though

So do people on the internets actually think these things were set shortly enough before they went off that there is film of them doing so? Then what's the deal with the 2nd blast down the course? Wouldn't planting them take a substantial amount of time, given that the bomber had to move between 2 sites?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
So do people on the internets actually think these things were set shortly enough before they went off that there is film of them doing so? Then what's the deal with the 2nd blast down the course? Wouldn't planting them take a substantial amount of time, given that the bomber had to move between 2 sites?

If it was caught by a typical high-end commercial security surveillance system, those usually DVR days if not weeks of video. The bombs were only a few hundred yards apart. They could have planted them at any time during the marathon.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
If it was caught by a typical high-end commercial security surveillance system, those usually DVR days if not weeks of video. The bombs were only a few hundred yards apart. They could have planted them at any time during the marathon.

Yeah, that's the kind of video I'd expect the FBI to already be looking at, but that's not what this "Crowd sourcing" is using, right? It's going through people's cell phone cameras.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 07:16 AM)
The problem is the language. On that page, they Post doesn't call them "Suspects" or obviously say that they did it, they just say that the Feds want to interview them.

That's notably different from when they said that the Saudi man was a "Suspect".

If the Feds want to interview them, then nothing on that page is incorrect.

That's incredibly frustrating. I don't have the patience to master the mind-numbing intricacies of the law, but couldn't it be argued that they know damn well that despite not using the word suspect itself, they know that by linking them to this story the people in question are being put out there to be treated as such- something that they wouldn't have had to deal with otherwise?

This isn't something that will go away easily for someone who gets yanked from their everyday life and thrown to the masses in the midst of an event like this that people are very passionate about. No matter how quickly they're cleared of anything and everything, their world has been turned upside down and they get to deal with the stigma of being associated with such a thing.

Everyone loves hearing the same story that inevitably makes it rounds about how tragic events like this bring out the best in people (first responders, volunteers, good Samaritans), but this kind of ugliness also rears it's head and is right there for all to see- it just evades getting much mention for some reason, gets swept under the rug, and ends up being forgotten by most.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
That's incredibly frustrating. I don't have the patience to master the mind-numbing intricacies of the law, but couldn't it be argued that they know damn well that despite not using the word suspect itself, they know that by linking them to this story the people in question are being put out there to be treated as such- something that they wouldn't have had to deal with otherwise?

This isn't something that will go away easily for someone who gets yanked from their everyday life and thrown to the masses in the midst of an event like this that people are very passionate about. No matter how quickly they're cleared of anything and everything, their world has been turned upside down and they get to deal with the stigma of being associated with such a thing.

Everyone loves hearing the same story that inevitably makes it rounds about how tragic events like this bring out the best in people (first responders, volunteers, good Samaritans), but this kind of ugliness also rears it's head and is right there for all to see- it just evades getting much mention for some reason, gets swept under the rug, and ends up being forgotten by most.

I believe your response here is why the term "Person of interest" came into being in the first place. The media would report people being interviewed about any crime as "suspects" and it would damage their reputation, leaving the media liable for libel suits. The term "Person of Interest" then started appearing as a lump term for "anyone the police wants to interview, whether it's a suspect, relative of a suspect, witness, etc." so that people wouldn't be labeled as suspects linked to a crime unless they were actually suspected of having committed a crime.

That's why I looked for whether the Post actually called them "Suspects" in this article rather than using a more generic term. For the Saudi man, they called him a suspect, which is a specific term where they're suggesting that he might have been the perpetrator. Saying that the police want to interview this man or this man is a "person of interest" is supposed to be the trick to get around that problem, because everyone in the marathon could be a legit person of interest at this point.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
Hard to tell, in one picture they have a guy circled as suspicious in another they are using him as an example of people looking at the race.

But this type of stuff can be good or bad. Right now Id just say its evidence, but wouldnt start accusing any of the people without much more.

Turns out its actually not very difficult to objectively look at evidence if you arent racing to try and find a scapegoat.

Pathetic, yesterday I was going to post that what they are doing with those photos is nothing more than a present day witch hunt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
I believe your response here is why the term "Person of interest" came into being in the first place. The media would report people being interviewed about any crime as "suspects" and it would damage their reputation, leaving the media liable for libel suits. The term "Person of Interest" then started appearing as a lump term for "anyone the police wants to interview, whether it's a suspect, relative of a suspect, witness, etc." so that people wouldn't be labeled as suspects linked to a crime unless they were actually suspected of having committed a crime.

That's why I looked for whether the Post actually called them "Suspects" in this article rather than using a more generic term. For the Saudi man, they called him a suspect, which is a specific term where they're suggesting that he might have been the perpetrator. Saying that the police want to interview this man or this man is a "person of interest" is supposed to be the trick to get around that problem, because everyone in the marathon could be a legit person of interest at this point.

As said in my original post, I don't think NYPost would actually be found for libel, but I do think if I was one of those 2 runners I would try to find some support to sue them. Libel cases cost quite a bit to the post even if you win. This was incredibly irresponsible, (can you imagine if someone tried to citizen arrest them and ended up injuring them?) and i think they deserve to be punished. Best way IMO is a frivolous law suit.

This is hilarious by the New York Post. In this article, they post a picture of the two high schoolers:

18.1n004.boston2.C__300x300.jpg

The caption states: "The man in blue still has the bag over his shoulder in the crowd later, but the black backpack the man in the cap was wearing is no longer visible."

Yet, you can clearly see the bag. Wow. Horrible journalism.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
As said in my original post, I don't think NYPost would actually be found for libel, but I do think if I was one of those 2 runners I would try to find some support to sue them. Libel cases cost quite a bit to the post even if you win. This was incredibly irresponsible, (can you imagine if someone tried to citizen arrest them and ended up injuring them?) and i think they deserve to be punished. Best way IMO is a frivolous law suit.

Trust me, many lawyers will take this type of plaintiff's work on with a contingency fee where the plaintiffs do not have to pay their attorney unless they win. The attorney will likely put up the basic court costs and gamble that they will win to make his money.