Game Thread? Sox vs Jays? 4/16/13? 6:07 CT?

Jake

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 11:53 PM)
How do you know Santiago in the rotation is a good thing?

He put up a 1.86 ERA last year as a starter.

You know, compare that to Axelrod's ERA over 5 last year and again so far this year. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 07:01 PM)
He put up a 1.86 ERA last year as a starter.

You know, compare that to Axelrod's ERA over 5 last year and again so far this year. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

And the only time he went over 5 innings was the last meaningless series vs Cleveland. Using rhe same criteria Dan Johnson should have been given a $10 million contract to play 1b. He is hitting .150 in AAA

I know thhe argument will be he wasn't stretched out, but he gets close to 100 pitches in the 4th inning. Not exactly what you are looking for in a starter. Don't get me wrong, I think Axelrod is smoke an mirrors, I just dont think Santiago is this star in the making many seem to be making him out to be.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
Axelrod and Gimenez are very close...does seem to be this emerging storyline that Gimenez is doing a better job with pitch selection, although we have no idea with Cooper gone who's doing what exactly.

Is it Parent? The individual catchers? Ventura?

Sox catchers call pitches. You will see them get signals from the dugout, they are usually for pitch outs or actually to give a pitcher a sign to throw to first.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 12:05 AM)
And the only time he went over 5 innings was the last meaningless series vs Cleveland. Using rhe same criteria Dan Johnson should have been given a $10 million contract to play 1b. He is hitting .150 in AAA

I know thhe argument will be he wasn't stretched out, but he gets close to 100 pitches in the 4th inning. Not exactly what you are looking for in a starter. Don't get me wrong, I think Axelrod is smoke an mirrors, I just dont think Santiago is this star in the making many seem to be making him out to be.

I still don't see an argument against Santiago though. At worst he is inexperienced, which is better than Axelrod being ineffective. Of course he is showing me up to night, but we'll see how it lasts.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 07:15 PM)
Only 1 run in 5 innings again..........what new.

This is against Josh Johnson though. Even though his ERA was over 11 coming into this game. The guy is a good pitcher.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
In which the team wins and a better, more capable player takes his place. Yes. How can sports really be this black and white to you? I think you need a new hobby, turn off the TV and watch golf or something.

If he really is that much better, he will win the job sooner or later. If failure is enjoyment to you, you are the one who needs a new hobby. Personally I like my team and its player to succeed.