Game Thread? Sox vs Jays? 4/16/13? 6:07 CT?

Jake

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:49 PM)
This is no different than Bulls fans wanting Rip Hamilton to play poorly so Jimmy Butler can get more minutes at the shooting guard to see if he can develop into a starting shooting guard in the future. To me, Axelrod is blocking the development of a much more talented performer.

You are right, it is no different. Active rooting for failure is amongst the dumbest things to be hoping for in sports, no matter what sport it is. We aren't even talking about tanking in September for a draft pick or something. We are talking about having a prospect fail, so another prospect can step in? Quit watching. Seriously, just find another hobby.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
Still. It makes zero sense to be rooting for someone to fail in April. In all seriousness, if people really believe crap like that, they need to quit watching baseball. Just walk away, because you are missing the entire point.

Mark this date. I agree with 2k5. I can totally get with fathom's thinking in August and you're 10 games out. Way too early for rooting for anybody to fail right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 12:51 AM)
You are right, it is no different. Active rooting for failure is amongst the dumbest things to be hoping for in sports, no matter what sport it is. We aren't even talking about tanking in September for a draft pick or something. We are talking about having a prospect fail, so another prospect can step in? Quit watching. Seriously, just find another hobby.

You might be the first person to ever refer to Axelrod as a prospect :)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)

Axelrod isn't a prospect.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
How is a win rooting for bad things to happen? We all presumably want Santiago in the rotation, that's a good thing.

A pitcher giving up 10 runs is a good thing? I must live in a bizzaro-world apparently.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
A pitcher giving up 10 runs is a good thing? I must live in a bizzaro-world apparently.

In which the team wins and a better, more capable player takes his place. Yes. How can sports really be this black and white to you? I think you need a new hobby, turn off the TV and watch golf or something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 12:56 AM)
Even if his ceiling is fifth starter in baseball, that has some value in this day and age.

Of course he'll probably pitch well tonight :) I get what you're saying with this comment, but I just feel in my opinion there's more value this year in seeing what Santiago can do as a starter and getting him innings so he's not too limited next year when he's much more likely to be in the rotation.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 12:57 AM)
How come the pitches being called, seem like they actually make sense so far, for Axelrod? Totally different, and he is keeping the pitch count down too, to boot.

Check out Gimenez catching ERA compared to Flowers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)
Even if his ceiling is fifth starter in baseball, that has some value in this day and age.

I'm not high on Santiago myself, but at least his ceiling is higher than a 5. It's real simple, who is the better player?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2013 -> 06:58 PM)
Well, 1/4 with RISP improves our BA but didn't score a run because of Konerko's lack of speed, haha.

Wonder if we've ever lost 2 consecutive games to starters with ERA's over 10?

Cy (insert name) many times.

QUOTE (Baron @ Apr 17, 2013 -> 12:59 AM)
Do you mind posting it fathom? Very interested in the numbers.

Don't have numbers in front of me, but Gimenez caught Quintana's gem and also caught Axelrod's first start vs Seattle that was good.