5/17 White Sox @ Angels

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 17, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
It's nice having won 3 straight and Sale and Peavy are throwing in the two of the next 3 games. Hector's no slouch either.

This is the most opportune time for a run. It'd be nice to get 5 out of 6 or even 6 out of 6 and come home against the BoSox and warm weather.

I still really don't believe the Red Sox are that good. After this weekend, their schedule will have included 9 games against the Blue Jays, 4 against the Astros, and 7 against the Twins (and they're only 2-3 against Minnesota this year). They have not had a difficult schedule thus far.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 17, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
I still really don't believe the Red Sox are that good. After this weekend, their schedule will have included 9 games against the Blue Jays, 4 against the Astros, and 7 against the Twins (and they're only 2-3 against Minnesota this year). They have not had a difficult schedule thus far.

Devil's advocate here but aren't good teams suppose to beat bad teams?

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2013 -> 03:26 PM)
My piece for today is a quick look around the minors -- for those who follow closely, nothing revelatory. If not, can be useful to get up to speed on a few guys. White Sox Minor League Update

Not only do I enjoy your writing, I'm really happy the Bears drafted you in the 1st round. Good luck this year.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 17, 2013 -> 05:58 PM)
Not only do I enjoy your writing, I'm really happy the Bears drafted you in the 1st round. Good luck this year.

I'm with the Rams :D

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2013 -> 05:26 PM)
My piece for today is a quick look around the minors -- for those who follow closely, nothing revelatory. If not, can be useful to get up to speed on a few guys. White Sox Minor League Update

Its been a few years since i truly followed the minors and made a trek down too west tenn. In your opinion whom would you compare Micah Johnson and Marcus Semien too?

QUOTE (beautox @ May 17, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
Its been a few years since i truly followed the minors and made a trek down too west tenn. In your opinion whom would you compare Micah Johnson and Marcus Semien too?

For Johnson, I like young Chone Figgins. An able defender that could play 2B or 3B but won't do either spectacularly well. High average, but more strikeouts than you'd expect from a leadoff type hitter. A little pop, but not much. Fast. Decent, not great, ability take walks. Switch hitters.

I'm not coming up with a great comparison for Semien. He has commonalities with Jeter, but without such a high ceiling. Good batting average, a little power (maybe a 20 HR ceiling), takes walks well. Not super fast, won't steal a lot of bases. Can handle SS it seems but some scouts think his range could make him 2B. Strikes out a tick more than Jeter, but I like them both as 2 hitters.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
For Johnson, I like young Chone Figgins. An able defender that could play 2B or 3B but won't do either spectacularly well. High average, but more strikeouts than you'd expect from a leadoff type hitter. A little pop, but not much. Fast. Decent, not great, ability take walks. Switch hitters.

I'm not coming up with a great comparison for Semien. He has commonalities with Jeter, but without such a high ceiling. Good batting average, a little power (maybe a 20 HR ceiling), takes walks well. Not super fast, won't steal a lot of bases. Can handle SS it seems but some scouts think his range could make him 2B. Strikes out a tick more than Jeter, but I like them both as 2 hitters.

Does he have the type of frame and bat speed to project putting up those type of numbers?

Because just looking at him from afar, he seems more like one of those 8-10-12 HR guys that doesn't do any one thing especially great...but, overall, he's a positive contributor to a team. Maybe a starter on a bottom 5-10 team, utility/fringe player on a playoff team.

Maybe in the Keppinger/Sean Rodriguez/Eliott Johnson utility role rather than a full time starter.

For example, up until last season, Saladino was a very trendy "sleeper" pick. Which one would you think at this point ends up having more of an impact at the MLB level?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
Does he have the type of frame and bat speed to project putting up those type of numbers?

Because just looking at him from afar, he seems more like one of those 8-10-12 HR guys that doesn't do any one thing especially great...but, overall, he's a positive contributor to a team. Maybe a starter on a bottom 5-10 team, utility/fringe player on a playoff team.

Maybe in the Keppinger/Sean Rodriguez/Eliott Johnson utility role rather than a full time starter.

For example, up until last season, Saladino was a very trendy "sleeper" pick. Which one would you think at this point ends up having more of an impact at the MLB level?

I don't see Semien really hitting 20, but rather that is what I think his body and skills could maximally produce. I pretty much agree with your assessment.