Make a crazy trade idea

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
I think Rios could play CF well with his head in the game. When his head isn't in the game he can't do anything. That said, he's talked of being more comfortable in RF than CF so since he's so mentally fragile we'll just keep him in RF, and if we trade him to Texas for a bunch of prospects (how close is this deal from happening?) then they can experiment for themselves, and if he gets thrown off and becomes a .208 hitting lazy butcher then so what, we already made the deal, enjoy the contract you guys.

This is all just speculative, but Rangers need another starting pitcher and we need ML ready players with decent upside and to lower the payroll to give us some flexibility.Thread was just for throwing out crazy trade ideas and for those without crazy trade ideas to bash them :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Colvin idea but if we acquire him to play CF then who leads off this year? I doubt they're going to bench Dunn so moving De Aza to LF and Tank to DH probably wouldn't work.

Lexi has been showing off his wheels a tad bit more this season but I'm not so sure he'd be a good option to lead off.

For next year though, if they're ok with moving Dayan to 1B/DH that would be pretty intriguing.

I saw a poster ask if he's just a platoon player, his numbers last year would suggest not. He hit RHP much better to the tune of a .297 ba with a .891 ops but his numbers against LHP is at least respectable at .270/.752.

Trade for Colvin then go grab McCann in FA and got to battle with a De Aza-Beckham-Rios-Dunn-Viciedo-Mccann-Colvin-Ramirez-Gillaspie lineup....Or potentially even swap Mccann and Dunn.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 07:21 PM)
I really like the Colvin idea but if we acquire him to play CF then who leads off this year? I doubt they're going to bench Dunn so moving De Aza to LF and Tank to DH probably wouldn't work.

Lexi has been showing off his wheels a tad bit more this season but I'm not so sure he'd be a good option to lead off.

For next year though, if they're ok with moving Dayan to 1B/DH that would be pretty intriguing.

I saw a poster ask if he's just a platoon player, his numbers last year would suggest not. He hit RHP much better to the tune of a .297 ba with a .891 ops but his numbers against LHP is at least respectable at .270/.752.

Trade for Colvin then go grab McCann in FA and got to battle with a De Aza-Beckham-Rios-Dunn-Viciedo-Mccann-Colvin-Ramirez-Gillaspie lineup....Or potentially even swap Mccann and Dunn.

Even that's not going to work with Beckham and Dunn...although it would be 5X better than what we have now.

Ramirez and/or Gillaspie would fit decently in the 2 spot.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
I think Rios could play CF well with his head in the game. When his head isn't in the game he can't do anything. That said, he's talked of being more comfortable in RF than CF so since he's so mentally fragile we'll just keep him in RF, and if we trade him to Texas for a bunch of prospects (how close is this deal from happening?) then they can experiment for themselves, and if he gets thrown off and becomes a .208 hitting lazy butcher then so what, we already made the deal, enjoy the contract you guys.

I think Peavy and Rios offer plenty of value to the Rangers since both are signed through 2014 and players option for 2015. I'd tell the Rangers you don't get Peavy without Rios attached. They get 2 of our top 3 players and we get 2 of their top 3 prospects. They get the salaries and a better chance at a World Championship for 2013 and 2014 ,we get to retool with a potential superstar in Profar and a high upside LH CF who won't be a free agent till 2019.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
Except if WE on a message board have already known this for quite some time, every scout/GM/front office in baseball does too.

I'll also add Nelson Cruz is not only in decline but in the last year of his contract so Rios could take his place in RF next year.

I just want to make a move to set the tone & to formally declare we're going to be selling.

Doesn't have to be a large one either involving a major piece (Crain, Peavy, Rios, Thornton, DeAza) but maybe you make a smaller deal involving Lindstrom or something, and then formally announce "more trades are coming, we're open for business." If there actually is any team out there willing to give up a substantial return for Peavy, let's get the bidding underway now. If Hahn's late to the party yet again he's going to end up having to keep his players or take garbage back.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Nelson Cruz is on that list of players possibly being suspended in the Biogenesis investigation. This would make my trade suggestion even more viable except Peavy didn't cooperate by getting hurt.

Since peavet went down and while the blue Jays are not having a grea season how about making some kind of a trade for Buehrle. He might not win us a bunch of games but will bring thre team together in the clubhouse. Ending his career with the sox

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:31 PM)
Since peavet went down and while the blue Jays are not having a grea season how about making some kind of a trade for Buehrle. He might not win us a bunch of games but will bring thre team together in the clubhouse. Ending his career with the sox

A noble idea but the Sox need young position players not an old guy past his prime . Not only that but taking on that contract is not a great idea either.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)

There aren't enough lols for that one.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Buehrle might put together some of the least value for the most money over the next 2 and a half years.

But then we look at Adam Dunn and become wistful of Buehrle's performance and contract.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Alex Rios & Dylan Axelrod for Wade Davis, Eric Hosmer & a prospect

Crazy, yes, but I'd do it. Take the flyer on Hosmer since we don't have any 1B plans, see-ya Adam Dunn, and Coop fixes Wade Davis for us, so that way even if we trade Peavy we've just got RHSP between Beck, Johnson and the rest.

Trading within the division and 2 non contenders. Crazy indeed .

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
But then we look at Adam Dunn and become wistful of Buehrle's performance and contract.

I would rather have Adam Dunn's contract for the next two and a half years rather than Mark Buehrle's, because Adam Dunn's runs out after next year.

It's eery how Jeromy Burnitzy Adam Dunn really is.

Does Justin Smoak interest anyone? Was a pretty well regarded prospect and just has not hit. I think he could be pryed away from Seattle. Also, Sale is the only player that could net the White Sox anything close to Jurickson Profar. Sox aren't getting Profar. He's one of the top 2-3 prospects in the game. As a matter of fact, I would have traded Elvis Andrus this past offseason to make room for Profar.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Does Justin Smoak interest anyone? Was a pretty well regarded prospect and just has not hit. I think he could be pryed away from Seattle. Also, Sale is the only player that could net the White Sox anything close to Jurickson Profar. Sox aren't getting Profar. He's one of the top 2-3 prospects in the game. As a matter of fact, I would have traded Elvis Andrus this past offseason to make room for Profar.

If he were on a better team, I'd have no problem with it, but because the Mariners are so bad, you almost have to wait for them to DFA him to try and acquire him, unless you can seriously get him for song. Like, I'd trade Jesse Crain for him because I don't think resigning Crain is a good idea, but the Mariners would not do that. I'd also give someone like Omogrosso for him too, but the Mariners wouldn't do that. The middle ground there is a guy like Nate Jones, and while I'm sure there are some on here who'd have no problem trading Jones away, I don't think I could do it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
If he were on a better team, I'd have no problem with it, but because the Mariners are so bad, you almost have to wait for them to DFA him to try and acquire him, unless you can seriously get him for song. Like, I'd trade Jesse Crain for him because I don't think resigning Crain is a good idea, but the Mariners would not do that. I'd also give someone like Omogrosso for him too, but the Mariners wouldn't do that. The middle ground there is a guy like Nate Jones, and while I'm sure there are some on here who'd have no problem trading Jones away, I don't think I could do it.

I would not give Jones away for a guy like Smoak. Jones is no where close to being let go, whereas Smoak is; Smoak will be arb-eligible next year and probably will be non-tendered if his current production holds.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)

I think in general this type of deal is a good one to make, even if it has to be a 3-way deal

Sox trade:

Veteran MLB reliever who is in demand

Sox get:

Underachieving pre-arb or early-arb player with a very high ceiling

Non-contending team trades:

Underachieving pre-arb or early-arb player with a very high ceiling

Non-contending team gets:

A top-2 to 5 prospect in a mediocre or bad system, or top-10 prospect in a very good system

Contending team trades:

A top-2 to 5 prospect in a mediocre or bad system, or top-10 prospect in a very good system

Contending team gets:

Veteran MLB reliever who is in demand

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
I would not give Jones away for a guy like Smoak. Jones is no where close to being let go, whereas Smoak is; Smoak will be arb-eligible next year and probably will be non-tendered if his current production holds.

If they deal Smoak they'll want some ceiling though.

What about Smoak for Flowers right now? You do that? Phegley lovers would I imagine. Change of scenery on both sides.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
If they deal Smoak they'll want some ceiling though.

What about Smoak for Flowers right now? You do that? Phegley lovers would I imagine. Change of scenery on both sides.

Yes. I'd go for that, I think.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 05:38 PM)
I think we'd be winning that trade too much but Flowers is a catcher if that helps. I wouldn't be opposed to picking up Smoak and sticking him in AAA and see he puts it together.

I wonder what the Sox FO thinks of Smoak. IIRC we were between him and Beckham in '08.

Yeah, we'd be winning that trade on talent, but the fact that Smoak is extremely likely to be non-tendered at the end of the year means that they'd be getting a player that could stick longer.

He'll be readily signable this offseason if we just wait a little.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 7, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Very little chance Smoak gets non-tendered. If they'd take Jones for him the Soox should do it.

I thought you said it was easy to find LF, 1B/DH types.

Why would they want to keep him?

They're afraid he'll become the next Chris Davis?