Make a crazy trade idea

I will start

Dylan Axelrod & Matt Lindstrom to the Orioles for Jake Arrieta & maybe a low level prospect

Sell high on Axe, buy low on Arrieta whose value should be way down. Arrieta is a Coop fix 'em project while Lindstrom & Axe help out Baltimore's pitching staff. It's the ultimate overachiever-for-underachiever trade.

Who else?

Let's make deals that get us players we can run out there that maybe have some upside. Anyone think we can trade Crain who is having a great year for a really talented position player who is out of options/needs playing time? That's a good way to make use of some of Dunn's worthless PA.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 31, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
We dont need another starter.

Maybe not another lefty starter, but we definitely need more righty starters. Johnson is really all we have as far as RHSP with realistic chances ATM who would profile better than #5 guys. Arrieta is IMO a potential get similar to Floyd when he was with the Philles, #4 overall pick who people thought was going to set the world on fire, and now he's about out of options & supposedly a bust. We've got the greatest pitching coach in the universe to take advantage of.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Alexei Ramirez, Carlos Sanchez and J. Crain for Matt Adams and Kolten Wong

I'm probably not as big of a fan of Sanchez as most on here.

I was trying to come up with my own idea involving Alexei and Wong. This seems good to me.

Of course it won't happen, but...

I like the idea of waiting until Beckham gets back, seeing what he brings to finish out the year, and then maybe looking to lock him up for several seasons at a decent price. He's been so up and down that I doubt his agent is expecting a big payday at this point, so if we could gain some positional security at a good cost at 2B then I'd like to see us turn our attention to CF, SS, 1B, and RHSP. Also Sanchez, DeMichele, etc. there are some 2B prospects in the system already, so I would much rather go after a SS. I don't know anything about this Wong though, but I'd like it better if he was a Wang or a Dong.

Just to go off my above point here, if there is any way we can trade for a Wang to play 2B, and a SS named Balls or something similar, and maybe a 1B named Mouth so that our DP can be Balls to Wang to Mouth then I think that's a good way to go about settting us up for the future. Also if I was Hahn I'd make as many deals for people with last names that are also slang terms for genitalia & I don't care what level you'd have to drop to in order to get those players, I'd throw a rookie baller out there on the moound if his name was Harry Ballz and then who cares at that point, we might lose 150 games but at least we'd have some fun doing it, better than this crap. JMO\.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 31, 2013 -> 03:18 PM)
He has a very advanced bat. Great defensive 2B. Only average speed but a very good base stealer. If he pans out, I would look at him as like a David DeJesus (KC days) type lead off hitter with great D at 2B.

Average: .270-.310, OBP: .320-.360 Maybe 7-17 homers with 20-30 SBs. Keep in mind this would be a ceiling for him. Good thing being, scouts look at him as a high floor guy, and shouldn't be worse than a replacement player. Considering STL's current state at 2nd I don't really see them giving up on him/moving him.

Sounds kind of like Chris Getz\, who some here were pretty high on just because he looked like the type of solid mental player with hgood peripherals who wouldn't have much of a downside.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 31, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Chris Getz averages 1 HR every 428 at bats and is a lifetime .253 hitter.

If you think he's Chris Getz because he is a 2B and plays good D then yes he's Chris Getz.

Wong is a former 1st rd pick and top 10 prospect in a good system.

Okay so we're comparing what Chris Getz has done as a Major League player facing Major League pitchering to what you/other people thingk this kidn would possibly do based off his numbers against a bunch of jabronis inthe minors, I was talkibng more like Chris Getz as a prospect versus this kid as a prospect. Doesn't sound like anyone I would start over Gordon Beckham. I mean I'd take a useful looking player in a deal but I wouldn't specifically look at 2B where we actually have some depth unless it's someone pretty exciting.

But anyway keep em coming, lets get some trades done, this season is boring as it is, time to make some moves.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ May 31, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
You must not pay attention to farm systems. I would take this kid as my 2B TODAY over Chris Getz. While Getz has top flight defense, he's really like an absolute floor/worst case scenario for Wong.

You can have Getz because he's not hitting against "Jabronis" but I'll take Wong.

No, I don't follow prospects anymore. I don't care about rankings, so-called "evaluator" opinions, etc. If I saw the kid you're talking about play then I might like him, but for the most part the prospect people are full of s***/base their opinions on tiny sample sizes or too heavily on stats, and most of the prospects bust out. Gordon Beckham's hype as a spect blew this kid's hype out of the water, and Beckham today, at his floor, sounds like he'll end up a much better player to me, and we already have him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
How many moves has KW vetoed so far?

Nobody has been traded yet, wait till we get closer to the trade deadline.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
KW Vetoed all the moves that would have made us better.

Lol. And after he vetoes all Hahn's trades at the deadline we're all gonna know about it cuz Hahn will cry to the media about how KW is handcuffing him.

This is one of the stupidest opinions on Soxtalk and I hate that it probably has no chance of going away!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 31, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
Lol. And after he vetoes all Hahn's trades at the deadline we're all gonna know about it cuz Hahn will cry to the media about how KW is handcuffing him.

This is one of the stupidest opinions on Soxtalk and I hate that it probably has no chance of going away!

Got one!

Rockies have two outfielders at AAA who can hit, run, play defense. Charlie Blackmon and Tyler Colvin. Either one would be an immediate CF starter with Sox. We gotta have some pitching they would like to have.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 1, 2013 -> 01:19 AM)
I don't know if Colvin can be a CFer and when I say I don't know I really do not know but from my recollection he only played right and some first.

Colvin hit 18 HR and 72 with .290/.327.531 in 420 ABs for the Rockies and they sent him to AAA!

EDIT: Check out the comments of what the Rockies' fans thought of the move. LOL I wish we had a problem like this. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

He played some CF last year and did the job. Very good arm. Better than anyone on our roster.

He is going to be 28 at the end of this season....for those complaining about Flowers, Phegley and Gillaspie being "too old."

Tyler Colvin B/T:L/L Ht: 6'3 Wt: 190lbs Birthdate: 9/5/1985 Hometown: North Augusta, South Carolina "His game is really as a slash hitter and hitting the ball into the gaps, along with running aggressively on the bases. He's an excellent defensive player, and he has a good feel for the bunt game. He has the total package." -- Clemson head coach Jack Leggett When the Cubs selected Tyler Colvin with the 13th overall selection in the 2006 draft it caused alot of heads to turn and scoff. As most scouts and ranking parties had Colvin as a 3rd rounder, Baseball America ranked him as the 170th best prospect available in the draft. Still the Cubs' new Scouting Director, Tim Wilken, stood firm with his selection of the three year college junior from Clemson. And many people ended up eating their words as Colvin put up a good year for the Short Season A Boise Hawks. Wilken inherited a system from John Stockstill, who took a higher position under his brother in the Baltimore organization. Stockstill and his scouts had first started watching Colvin during his junior year and Wilken reassumed the watch and fell in love with his athletic ability and approach at the plate. The first reaction by many was why? Why take a player of Colvin's standard when there was plenty of higher ceiling prospects available. But what many don't take into consideration is that Colvin was a late climber in the draft due to his high preformance in the NCAA tourney, there was even some thought that the White Sox would take him late in the first round if he was still available. Another aspect, that escaped many is that Tim Wilken has a great history of drafting players that are "underappreciated" in terms of mainstream scouting, especially in the first round. It didn't take much to convince Colvin to sign for lower than slot money at 1.475 million, as he was looking at a third of the salary bonus. By signing early, he nearly put in a complete season for the Boise Hawks.