Roster Changes Coming?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 06:42 AM)
No way this team avoids 90 losses.

LOL.

Where was this prediction at the start of the year or even 10 days ago?

It's POSSIBLE they lose 90 games, but it's still not very likely.

That said, it's also far from being a playoff-contending team or just a couple of moves away like last June/July.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
LOL.

Where was this prediction at the start of the year or even 10 days ago?

It's POSSIBLE they lose 90 games, but it's still not very likely.

That said, it's also far from being a playoff-contending team or just a couple of moves away like last June/July.

Marty predicts that every year.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
I guarantee that's going to be extended because of our upcoming schedule.

"Let's wait until the end of June, after the favorable schedule, to see where this team is."

You don't make trades on June 10th unless you have a really good deal on the table.

But you definitely are listening.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 07:42 AM)
No way this team avoids 90 losses.

I disagree. It's possible but not likely that they lose 90 games. They were at .500 before this horrendous losing streak started. This streak won't last, and more than likely they'll have a winning streak or two of 5+ games. I don't think this team will compete for the division, but you never know. Detroit doesn't want to run away with it yet. I imagine if nothing major happens with the roster this team will end up with about 78-80 wins.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
You don't make trades on June 10th unless you have a really good deal on the table.

But you definitely are listening.

And I imagine Hahn's phone is ringing with folks asking about the likes of Peavy, Rios, and maybe a few bullpen arms.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
And I imagine Hahn's phone is ringing with folks asking about the likes of Peavy, Rios, and maybe a few bullpen arms.

And right now, there's no reason to make a deal unless someone offers the moon. That's just how the game is played.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
And right now, there's no reason to make a deal unless someone offers the moon. That's just how the game is played.

I agree. And I don't imagine anyone is going to offer the moon quite yet.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
Ventura is the leader and the team reflects his laid back attitude. If there was ever a time to be thrown out of a game it was that missed call at 1st base by Angel Hernandez. Ventura argued some but should've got tossed. Sveum got tossed arguing the same type play and it didn't immediately cost the Cubs a victory as the Sox situation did. When your team is losing show some anger at the umps deserved or not. Show your players winning is important to you. More drastic lineup changes might show that you won't stand for losing but Ventura trots out the same basic line up every day. Show you give a damn Robin, maybe your players will follow suit.

Parent must've read this ;)

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)

Not really. Deals don't really get moving until the end of this month at the earliest.

I've seen a lot of posts wanting Ventura yelling and screaming at players and umpires, thinking that makes a difference. Where you work are the most effective bosses people who yell and scream at their employees if the results haven't been what they expect? Do you yourself respond better when being yelled at?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
I've seen a lot of posts wanting Ventura yelling and screaming at players and umpires, thinking that makes a difference. Where you work are the most effective bosses people who yell and scream at their employees if the results haven't been what they expect? Do you yourself respond better when being yelled at?

Yep, I get tired of the showing emotion=they care. Kids and parents have bought into that crap and amateur sports have become a cesspool of incivility.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Yep, I get tired of the showing emotion=they care. Kids and parents have bought into that crap and amateur sports have become a cesspool of incivility.

I didn't even think of that, but you are right, there is nothing uglier than someone coaching 10 year olds thinking he or she is playing for a world championship, and expecting them to perform like they are making millions.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 10:31 AM)

Besides, that wears off very quickly and becomes extremely ineffective. Just ask Ozzie.

Kenny Williams should yell at Hahn the way people want Ventura yelling at players. Somehow though I doubt Kenny has had a thing to do with baseball since he took his "promotion," I bet he's just been laying around on the beach, smoking cigars, drinking fine scotch, chasing tuna, etc.

Hahn needs to get on the phone and let people know we're taking offers on just about everyone aside from Sale. You're only supposed to be under the radar when you're buying, not when you're selling. And please no one bring up Sergio as selling under the radar, that was like one time & all is forgiven.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
Kenny Williams should yell at Hahn the way people want Ventura yelling at players. Somehow though I doubt Kenny has had a thing to do with baseball since he took his "promotion," I bet he's just been laying around on the beach, smoking cigars, drinking fine scotch, chasing tuna, etc.

Hahn needs to get on the phone and let people know we're taking offers on just about everyone aside from Sale. You're only supposed to be under the radar when you're buying, not when you're selling. And please no one bring up Sergio as selling under the radar, that was like one time & all is forgiven.

Do you really think he hasn't been on the phone daily? That is what GM's do. Little bit early to get good value on players though.

Peavy and Crain would probably be to two most valuable guys on the team right now. I really hope all this talk about moves actually allow us to see the organization attempt to build for the future as opposed to the last few years of making a move for the sake of making a move or attempt to stop the bleeding. I read on Twitter today that Peavy said he would be willing to go to another team if asked. This July should be pretty interesting.

Jake Peavy would ideally like to spend the rest of his career with the White Sox, but the veteran right-hander tells CSN Chicago's Chuck Garfien that if the club fell out of contention and felt it necessary to move Peavy in a trade, he would accept such a move.

“If we’re not in it, I have no problems being moved to a team who is in contention and trying to win a World Series, so I’ll go play anywhere,” Peavy said. “If it comes down to having and feeling like it’s best for them to move me, I’ll go play anywhere that feels like they have a chance. If a team’s going to trade for you, they feel like they have a chance and they’re trying to make the necessary moves. But at the end of the day, we hope and we pray that doesn’t happen.”

Peavy made his comments during a taping of CSN's "Inside Look: Jake Peavy" program (airing tonight) and made it clear that he would have no hard feelings about being traded if it meant having a shot at the postseason.

“It’s just the business of the game. You pay players and you have players in place to try to win a division, get in the playoffs, to win a world championship and when that doesn’t go as planned, things have to happen and the organization has to sit down and look at what’s best for the organization," Peavy said. "Is it best to keep players who make a nice salary on a team that’s not destined to do anything, or is it best to move them and get some prospects in return and shed some money? If it does and we don't play well and don't have a realistic chance to win the division, I'm sure that bridge will be crossed and I'll do anything the White Sox ask me to do at that point in time."

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
Do you really think he hasn't been on the phone daily? That is what GM's do. Little bit early to get good value on players though.

Not really, no. Other teams can't keep secrets the way the Sox do. If Hahn was being as aggressive as he should be right now then we'd already have about 400 Peavy-to-whoever articles coming out in local papers in contending cities around the country. And Ken Rosenthal would definitely have something.

Sox FO headquarters:

tumblr_mkv514pzsG1s4mjk9o1_1280.jpg

Rick Hahn:

wafflehouse.jpg

Making an impact:

Waffle-House-2.jpg

Sox have lost eight in a row. This pretty much assures the team won't be .500 again anytime soon. It's going to take a long while to get back to .500.

So what should the Sox do?

I personally think this everyday lineup is the worse in baseball. The only other contenders are the Royals and Astros. With our minor league system rated as one of the worst, is this it? Are we beginning a 10-year period of not even sniffing .500 again?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)

He needs to get off the phone and meet with other GMs in person. Steak Dinner BOOM!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 05:23 AM)
He needs to get off the phone and meet with other GMs in person. Steak Dinner BOOM!

That's about as realistic as the scene in Moneyball (that never happened) where Brad Pitt drags his staff to Cleveland to meet with Mark Shapiro (and recruit DePodesta).