SOX DRAFT PICKS 2013

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
He won't be a tougher sign than Rodriguez, but Engel is a toolsy outfielder, ranked pretty high on the BA draft board(~150). He was perceived as a 4 or 5th round talent. So it depends if he fell due to signability issue or his draft stock just fell.

He hit .230. In the Big East. That's why.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 17, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
He's not as easy a sign as others around him of course, but... he had a weak showing in the Cape Code League, and followed that with a weak spring, which resulted in his draft stock falling. Toolsy yes, but still had enough struggles that no one wanted to use a Top 10 pick on him. This isn't a high school kid either, he's got one year of eligibility left. I don't have any specific knowledge, just a general impression (a guess really) that slightly over slot would get it done. I could of course be wrong.

Doesn't the Cape Cod league use wooden bats instead of aluminum? seems to me I've heard that several prospects have weak showings there due to that.

Or it could be that I'm old and senile and simply delusional in my "misremembrance" of things (not teal for a good reason).

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Doesn't the Cape Cod league use wooden bats instead of aluminum? seems to me I've heard that several prospects have weak showings there due to that.

Or it could be that I'm old and senile and simply delusional in my "misremembrance" of things (not teal for a good reason).

You are definitely not wrong, but they are also using far weaker aluminum bats in college now. You don't really see guys like Matt LaPorta hitting .400 or whatever anymore.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)

They have recently switched to using BBCOR bats in college as of 2011, which drastically reduce offense and make the numbers look more like wood-bat leagues. It's the reason Kris Bryant hit 31 HR this year and beat large amount of TEAM TOTALS in HR.

Also, it explains why Gordon Beckham hitting 28 HR in college wasn't a big deal, and didn't equate to much power in the minors or majors. Yet Kris Bryant hitting 31 is making people freak out.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
Why did Freudenburg get over-slot? I just know the basics of him and he had attended 3 different community colleges in 2 years. I get that he's a LHP but I don't see what warranted an over-slot signing.

Now, Michalczewski and Ball I can understand giving over-slot money but I don't understand Freudenburg.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Was there a chance he could choose to go back to school?

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
So you're saying he just has good negotiating skills?

He had leverage because he had two years of eligibility and likely a DI commitment. JuCo players will almost always go overslot after the first round.

It looks like Hayes and Engel may have signed per their respective twitter pages.

Danny Hayes ‏@Danny_Hayes9 7h

Well just found out ill be heading to Great Falls, Montana on Saturday

Adam Engel ‏@ManOfSteal_10 47m

Off to Montana in the am. Starting my first full time job, still numb to it all. Seeing where it all leads. Jeremiah 29:11

They might sign King, as he replied to a tweet asking him if he will sign with "I'm pretty sure I'm going to tho when it comes down to it" FYI, Creeping on his twitter page I learned that his dad is Ray King, former Cardinals reliever.

Edited by The 815

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 06:39 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisBA 1m

#WhiteSox sign 19th-rder Adam Engel for $100k. Louisville OF, loaded with tools (VG run, big lg CF, raw power), inconsistent bat. #mlbdraft

This means we should have about ~122,800 to ~287,880 to spend on Rodriguez depending on how much they want to get taxed, if I'm understanding things correctly. From previous accounts, it sounds highly, highly unlikely that he signs for anywhere in that range.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jun 27, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
This means we should have about ~122,800 to ~287,880 to spend on Rodriguez depending on how much they want to get taxed, if I'm understanding things correctly. From previous accounts, it sounds highly, highly unlikely that he signs for anywhere in that range.

Geez, they just signed 18 pitchers. That should be enough.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jun 29, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
Are you serious?

Only half serious. I meant that they signed 18 pitchers, probably all of whom are ticketed for Bristol or Great Falls, plus they have several pitchers held over from last year on those rosters, so I can't get too disappointed if we fail to sign a couple of mid 30's round pitchers, because there are not going to be enough innings for them anyway. Of course, I know little about the two remaining unsigned pitcher draft picks, and you never know who is going to step up, so I am half non - serious.

• 2 weeks later...