NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
Way to move the goalposts. You asked if they had anyone capable of having that kind of game.

No, they're not as efficient as the Heat, but a lot of that is Lebron setting them up. Lebron makes Mario Chalmers look like a useful offensive player.

Specifically that efficient was what I meant. I absolutely know Westbrook can drop 40 on a team when he's around...but can he put up those numbers on an efficient number of shots?

Yes Lebron could score more, but in the process he'd probably have to take more shots that are less efficient. That's the tradeoff that Durant has to make right now also - his team needs him to score and so it should be impressive that he's managing to keep up a pretty solid efficiency at the same time

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
I hate how quickly the world readily dismisses greats of the past.

LeBron is already almost there, KD is only 25 and working on his 4th scoring title...it's not really out there to think they'll pass up more than a few NBA legends.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
This isn't really a "hype machine". Durant has a higher PER, better o-rating, d-rating, scores more points on similar efficiency, grabs more RPG, gets more steals and blocks, and averages less turnovers.

Lebron seems to be coasting, but it isn't hard to make an argument for Durant being the best player in the league this year. This isn't 2011 Derrick Rose.

Again, I think Lebron is still better and it will show in the playoffs (maybe not the finals), but people are just saying it really isn't that far off. Maybe Durant goes in a slump and Lebron goes on a streak and all this changes back to Lebron being clear number 1. Right now, though, Durant is playing right with Lebron as best player in the league.

I think we're misunderstanding each other. Durant should clearly be the MVP this year, I was just saying that if I'm starting a team of real-life players right now, and I have LeBron and the other guy has Durant, then I'm in a better position. I believe LeBron is a better basketball player given all that he can do across all aspects of the game.

I think anyone who argued against Durant being in the lead for the NBA MVP this season would be nuts. I never said otherwise.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
This isn't really a "hype machine". Durant has a higher PER, better o-rating, d-rating, scores more points on similar efficiency, grabs more RPG, gets more steals and blocks, and averages less turnovers.

Lebron seems to be coasting, but it isn't hard to make an argument for Durant being the best player in the league this year. This isn't 2011 Derrick Rose.

Again, I think Lebron is still better and it will show in the playoffs (maybe not the finals), but people are just saying it really isn't that far off. Maybe Durant goes in a slump and Lebron goes on a streak and all this changes back to Lebron being clear number 1. Right now, though, Durant is playing right with Lebron as best player in the league.

Thank you

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
Specifically that efficient was what I meant. I absolutely know Westbrook can drop 40 on a team when he's around...but can he put up those numbers on an efficient number of shots?

He was 8th in the entire NBA in PER last season. He was 10th the season before. The season before that? 8th.

Russell Westbrook is oh so much f***ing better than you give him credit for, dude.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
LeBron is already almost there, KD is only 25 and working on his 4th scoring title...it's not really out there to think they'll pass up more than a few NBA legends.

But that would be all but three to meet your criteria. Top 5 all-time at this point is just a silly argument to make as a possibility for Kevin Durant.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
He was 8th in the entire NBA in PER last season. He was 10th the season before. The season before that? 8th.

Russell Westbrook is oh so much f***ing better than you give him credit for, dude.

It's not just me, a lot of people make a big f***ing deal about "Westbrook needing to shoot less" or various incarnations of that statement, particularly in the playoffs...so I think seeing Durant push his scoring up without sacrificing efficiency fits along those lines.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 09:02 AM)
But that would be all but three to meet your criteria. Top 5 all-time at this point is just a silly argument to make as a possibility for Kevin Durant.

Fair enough, maybe KD is a stretch at this point but I think we can agree that James is almost a lock.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
Fair enough, maybe KD is a stretch at this point but I think we can agree that James is almost a lock.

Almost and probable, but as I've said, GOAT players almost all had quality play well into their thirties. It is going to be the latter half that defines James.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)

He's definitely in consideration. Top 5 is almost an impossible conversation to have. Discussing Top 10 makes things a lot more fun.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
I hope people here didn't take my post where I wrote that KD could overtake LBJ as the best player in the league as hating on LBJ. It was more of how much I think of Durant than anything else. Like I said, we might be seeing the best from LeBron, KD is nowhere near his peak IMO. The gap between them is getting smaller.

Like Bird/Magic gave way to MJ, then Shaq took over, then it was Kobe and TimmyD's turn until LeBron from late 2000's until today, KD is clearly the next best player in the NBA, IMO.

I could see both LeBron and KD (a 6'11 SF with those handles and shooting touch, amazing) ending up in the top 5 GOAT list when it's all said and done.

Forget it. Unless you are giving LBJ a reach around, you hate him for the decision.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
They're easy to cheer against, but the the super team in Miami has made the NBA wildly entertaining as far as I'm concerned.

I have watched less NBA in the last few years than I have at any other point in my life. Between the evolution of the game into a game of one on one, and the crapping out of Derrick's knees, plus the plethora of just awful basketball in the NBA, it just isn't worth wasting time on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
I have watched less NBA in the last few years than I have at any other point in my life. Between the evolution of the game into a game of one on one, and the crapping out of Derrick's knees, plus the plethora of just awful basketball in the NBA, it just isn't worth wasting time on.

You mean since approximately 1990?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Almost and probable, but as I've said, GOAT players almost all had quality play well into their thirties. It is going to be the latter half that defines James.

Larry Bird being the obvious exception.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
You mean since approximately 1990?

Seriously, the NBA now is so much better than the late nineties/early 00s that I just can't take this crap seriously. There is so much motion going on off the ball specifically to create a favorable one-on-one matchup and outlet it's still a fascinating sport.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Larry Bird being the obvious exception.

Well, I think "larry legend" benefits from the crippled broken down Larry Bird still coming up huge in some playoff games late in his career.