NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
Tonight is a good example. There's like 6 minutes left in this game and LeBron has taken 12 shots. Chris Bosh has taken 20 and is having a great game. That's LeBron and what separates him from past and current greats. He'll scale his game back and let others flourish.

Agreed, sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad. Mostly good, although it cost them a finals.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
Agreed, sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad. Mostly good, although it cost them a finals.

Yeah, I'll never understand what happened to LeBron in the '11 finals. He torched a KG-led Celtics and Thibs -coached Bulls teams leading up to the finals. The Mavs played some pretty sophisticated zones but still, LeBron shouldn't have been that stifled. That's his one and only black mark, IMO.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
Yeah, I'll never understand what happened to LeBron in the '11 finals. He torched a KG-led Celtics and Thibs -coached Bulls teams leading up to the finals. The Mavs played some pretty sophisticated zones but still, LeBron shouldn't have been that stifled. That's his one and only black mark, IMO.

He played too passive last year in the finals too (again a problem with putting his teammates before him), but realized he needed to go HAM (with a clutch 3 from ray ray) to win that finals. Sometimes his passivity gets the best of him.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:01 PM)
Lebron is taking ultra efficient shots for sure, but Durant is averaging 5 more PPG and isn't too far off TS% wise and he doesn't have the supporting cast that lebron has. Theres really nothing that would lead me to believe that lebron could come close to that efficiency while scoring 30 PPG. I just feel Durant is a much better scorer. I don't think Diaw will play 5 feet off of durant in the WCF.

Lebron is still most likely better overall, but the gap isn't really large at all.

Okay, you're the second guy in like 15 minutes to say this now and it's bugging me. Durant doesn't play for the Cavs. Westbrook is a top-10 player in the league when he's on the floor (and you can make the same criticism about Wade), Ibaka is a well above average big man, and Jackson and Lamb are decent scorers. Outside of the Big 3, the Heat are comprised of a bunch of guys that are past their prime or never had a prime.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
Tonight is a good example. There's like 6 minutes left in this game and LeBron has taken 12 shots. Chris Bosh has taken 20 and is having a great game. That's LeBron and what separates him from past and current greats. He'll scale his game back and let others flourish.

Is there anyone on the Thunder ever likely to put up a regular game like that?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)
And like with 2k5, I can't talk to you when it comes to the Heat. Your hate is too high. I respect both of you as posters even though we agree on nothing. But you two just can't get over July 8, 2010. I wanted LeBron and Bosh and wouldn't have given two s***s on what other fanbases thought about it. I can't hate because it didn't work out the way I wanted it to.

He made the league unwatchable. I've barely watched nba basketball in more than 2 years because of that bs. That's plenty of reason for me to still be pissed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
Is there anyone on the Thunder ever likely to put up a regular game like that?

Are you intentionally being obtuse? They have a guy named Westbrook that's only played 5 fewer games than Wade despite actual knee issues instead of mileage problems. Also, Ibaka averages only 2 fewer PPG than Bosh and Jackson only 2.8. OKC is one of the most talented teams in the league.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:22 PM)
Are you intentionally being obtuse? They have a guy named Westbrook that's only played 5 fewer games than Wade despite actual knee issues instead of mileage problems. Also, Ibaka averages only 2 fewer PPG than Bosh and Jackson only 2.8. OKC is one of the most talented teams in the league.

But are they anywhere near that efficient?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
But are they anywhere near that efficient?

Way to move the goalposts. You asked if they had anyone capable of having that kind of game.

No, they're not as efficient as the Heat, but a lot of that is Lebron setting them up. Lebron makes Mario Chalmers look like a useful offensive player.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
Man, I hate LeBron too but some of you hold some serious grudges.

You hate him in the right way. You hate him because he's the main component keeping your team from winning a championship. I get that. When a guy like Jake, somebody I like, says he couldn't cheer for LeBron even if he were a Bull? Are you serious? You cheered for Michael Jordan. A f***ing scumbag off the basketball court.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
Do you really believe LeBron is not capable of 29-30 ppg? That was the whole point of leaving Cleveland. So that he wouldn't have to do that and lead the team in every other category. Durant is spectacular. I'm not hating at all. But he's not LeBron and probably never will be.

I was just clarifying your argument, which is that LBJ foregoes his own stats to increase the team's overall scoring, which makes perfect sense

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:15 PM)
Okay, you're the second guy in like 15 minutes to say this now and it's bugging me. Durant doesn't play for the Cavs. Westbrook is a top-10 player in the league when he's on the floor (and you can make the same criticism about Wade), Ibaka is a well above average big man, and Jackson and Lamb are decent scorers. Outside of the Big 3, the Heat are comprised of a bunch of guys that are past their prime or never had a prime.

Eh, I'll take bosh, wade, and a bunch of guys that stretch the floor for a dominant drive and kick or post up and kick guy like lebron. We can agree to disagree.

I do think that the thunder supporting cast is much better on defense though. I never thought durant played on the cavs either. It's not like I said lebrons supporting cast was leaps and bounds better. I just think its a better offense for lebron to play in.

E: well, the thunder supporting cast looks better on defense in the regular season I mean. The heat tend to be a whole different animal in the playoffs.

Edited by Boogua

I hope people here didn't take my post where I wrote that KD could overtake LBJ as the best player in the league as hating on LBJ. It was more of how much I think of Durant than anything else. Like I said, we might be seeing the best from LeBron, KD is nowhere near his peak IMO. The gap between them is getting smaller.

Like Bird/Magic gave way to MJ, then Shaq took over, then it was Kobe and TimmyD's turn until LeBron from late 2000's until today, KD is clearly the next best player in the NBA, IMO.

I could see both LeBron and KD (a 6'11 SF with those handles and shooting touch, amazing) ending up in the top 5 GOAT list when it's all said and done.

Wow, some of the s*** spouted in this thread last night was awful.

People love to hate on LeBron. Durant has a few weeks of taking 30 shots per game and now suddenly he's better than LeBron. Get out of here. LeBron could score 40ppg for a season if he really wanted to (and in turn have a team that's not nearly as cohesive and wear himself out).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)

People love to hate on LeBron. Durant has a few weeks of taking 30 shots per game and now suddenly he's better than LeBron. Get out of here. LeBron could score 40ppg for a season if he really wanted to (and in turn have a team that's not nearly as cohesive and wear himself out).

He has a 64% TS%.

Lebron can average 40 PPG for a season and other people are the ones spouting s***?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
He made the league unwatchable. I've barely watched nba basketball in more than 2 years because of that bs. That's plenty of reason for me to still be pissed.

Did he? Weird.

The only thing that made the NBA close to "unwatchable" was our great savior shredding both of his knees. That said, the league's a blast.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
He has a 64% TS%.

Lebron can average 40 PPG for a season and other people are the ones spouting s***?

No one's saying Durant sucks. Why does being the second best player in the league have to be such a cutdown? This is so 2013 to anoint someone the most talented and best player in the league the moment the Sportscenter hype machine gets rolling.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
I could see both LeBron and KD (a 6'11 SF with those handles and shooting touch, amazing) ending up in the top 5 GOAT list when it's all said and done.

I hate how quickly the world readily dismisses greats of the past.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)

Stop, now you're being just as silly as his haters.

LeBron would never try that anyways, his beloved FG% would take a massive dive.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
No one's saying Durant sucks. Why does being the second best player in the league have to be such a cutdown? This is so 2013 to anoint someone the most talented and best player in the league the moment the Sportscenter hype machine gets rolling.

This isn't really a "hype machine". Durant has a higher PER, better o-rating, d-rating, scores more points on similar efficiency, grabs more RPG, gets more steals and blocks, and averages less turnovers.

Lebron seems to be coasting, but it isn't hard to make an argument for Durant being the best player in the league this year. This isn't 2011 Derrick Rose.

Again, I think Lebron is still better and it will show in the playoffs (maybe not the finals), but people are just saying it really isn't that far off. Maybe Durant goes in a slump and Lebron goes on a streak and all this changes back to Lebron being clear number 1. Right now, though, Durant is playing right with Lebron as best player in the league.