NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
Oh, I was watching a Pacers/Bulls from the '98 playoffs. Ratchet as all hell. All slow as s***, no fastbreaks, everybody defending with their hands and fists and wrestling in the paint. That is not basketball. That's lame ass wwe s***. Late 90's/early 2000's ball was just terrible. I'm so glad they cleaned that s*** up. We're lucky as hell today and we don't even realize it.

I haven't recently caught any versions of the Bulls/Knicks from the early 90's, but when I catch the repeats of their games against anyone else I'm still stunned watching the Early 90's Bulls teams at how far beyond everyone else #23 was athletically.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 09:18 PM)
It was pathetic. Bob Costas was going on and on about how Derrek Mckey was limited athletically/lateral movement wise but was still such a great defender because he knew how to utilize hand-checking. GMAFB. Paul George, Tony Allen, Andre Igudala without handechecking >>> Derrek Mckey with handchecking. Defense should be played with your feet and should be about challenging shots.

Also, bigs had no responsibility back then other than to stay in the paint and challenge short shots. Now you have to be able to cover the pick and roll, cover the weakside and challenge long-range shooters (love, Anderson, etc). Joakim Noah > Alonzo Mourning defensively

Disagree strongly. You have zone defense now which stops guys from getting into the paint, not George or Iguodala. Allen would be a great defender in any era. But it's ridiculous how you can pack the paint and play the passing lanes all day long. It's how Larry Hughes made his money. He was an awful one on one defender.

And Joakim Noah > Mourning? Really. That's a friggin joke.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
Disagree strongly. You have zone defense now which stops guys from getting into the paint, not George or Iguodala. Allen would be a great defender in any era. But it's ridiculous how you can pack the paint and play the passing lanes all day long. It's how Larry Hughes made his money. He was an awful one on one defender.

Zone + guys much more willing to take a charge these days. Thanks Coach K for that awful basketball innovation.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 26, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
There are still rim protectors though like Hibbert or Howard. I think Mourning would be just fine, but who knows.

Mourning also played as recently as 2007-2008 when he averaged 1.7 blocks per game on 15 minutes per game. He was 37. The two previous years he averaged over 2 blocks per game at around 20 minutes per game.

Oh don't get me wrong. Mourning would be just fine today. I was just saying that bigs (mainly centers) have more responsibilities defensively than they did in the 90's or even 10 years ago. Shaq, for instance, would have to lose some weight to hang defensively (he'd obviously murder everyone on offense).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
I haven't recently caught any versions of the Bulls/Knicks from the early 90's, but when I catch the repeats of their games against anyone else I'm still stunned watching the Early 90's Bulls teams at how far beyond everyone else #23 was athletically.

MJ was ahead of his time by atleast a decade or so. You had Drexler and Nique, but other than those two, nobody was even close.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)

How can you watch the Bulls in the Thibs era and say something like this? Zone is there and used at times. But defensive schemes in general are just better. Thibs changed the game defensively. The Pacers have copied his style and they're stetting records on defense. The Heat, when they're focused, are one of the best defenses we've ever seen. Nothing to do with zone. It's their scheme and their freakish athletes (mainly LeBron and Bosh). Mourning is a better shotblocker, sure. Everything else, I don't know if Mourning could do everything that Noah does today.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 10:17 AM)
Man, I tell ya, complaining about Rose getting injured and saying he won't recruit never gets old. I feel like he is the new Frank Thomas.

Even MJ acknowledged that he needed Scottie. Rose needs to realize he needs 1 1/2 stars (think Gasol and then Odom before crack) to win a title.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 28, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
Anthony Davis has 15 blocks in his last two games.

For those that have seen a lot of Joel Embiid, is he a better prospect than Davis was at Kentucky?

Davis was probably a better prospect. It's hard to know if my memory is clouded though because of Davis' early dominance. My impression of his stock at the time was that he had huge upside (KG was thrown around as a comparison) if everything worked out but that his offense was still a work in progress and he needed to bulk up. I don't think most scouts were predicting him to average 20-10 in his second year. I also think he was a relatively safe prospect, meaning that at worst he'd still be an athletic big that starts in the league for like 10 years.

I've seen about half a dozen Kansas games and watched the Draft Express scouting video of Embiid (those things are awesome). My impression is that he has the same type of upside as Davis, but he's not as safe. It's easy to see his potential if you just watch his highlights. He's huge, mobile and flashes some post moves that most NBA players don't have much less someone as inexperienced as Embiid. He also makes a lot of mistakes though. His shots out of the post aren't always pretty. He will throw up weak attempts in traffic, especially if there's contact. He also gets lost occasionally on defense, bites on a lot of fakes and makes some silly fouls. That stuff can be ironed out obviously, but I have a hard time seeing him play 30 quality minutes in the NBA right now.

They're also very different players stylistically. Davis mostly uses his athleticism to find points in space (lobs, transition, pick-and-roll, putbacks, ect) while Embiid is more of a true post guy.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 03:28 AM)
Davis was probably a better prospect. It's hard to know if my memory is clouded though because of Davis' early dominance. My impression of his stock at the time was that he had huge upside (KG was thrown around as a comparison) if everything worked out but that his offense was still a work in progress and he needed to bulk up. I don't think most scouts were predicting him to average 20-10 in his second year. I also think he was a relatively safe prospect, meaning that at worst he'd still be an athletic big that starts in the league for like 10 years.

I've seen about half a dozen Kansas games and watched the Draft Express scouting video of Embiid (those things are awesome). My impression is that he has the same type of upside as Davis, but he's not as safe. It's easy to see his potential if you just watch his highlights. He's huge, mobile and flashes some post moves that most NBA players don't have much less someone as inexperienced as Embiid. He also makes a lot of mistakes though. His shots out of the post aren't always pretty. He will throw up weak attempts in traffic, especially if there's contact. He also gets lost occasionally on defense, bites on a lot of fakes and makes some silly fouls. That stuff can be ironed out obviously, but I have a hard time seeing him play 30 quality minutes in the NBA right now.

They're also very different players stylistically. Davis mostly uses his athleticism to find points in space (lobs, transition, pick-and-roll, putbacks, ect) while Embiid is more of a true post guy.

Which makes sense re: Davis because he grew into his body so late. I just remember being in awe of how aggressive Kentucky's guards could play up top, because nobody could drive the lane without running into Davis length. It was fun to watch.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 02:51 AM)
Even MJ acknowledged that he needed Scottie. Rose needs to realize he needs 1 1/2 stars (think Gasol and then Odom before crack) to win a title.

Management needs to get this done. But beside that my post was about the million f'ing snarky "well ask Reggie hehehe" posts that still get posted every other post.