NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 06:58 AM)
They are better without Lopez.

I really don't think they are...

You'd rather have a 37 year old Kevin Garnett and Mason Plumlee as your main big men as opposed to an extremely efficient 7 footer? Lopez gets a lot of crap for being a bad defensive player and a bad rebounder, but a deeper look says that's not the case. Good read: http://hoopchalk.com/2013/04/16/why-cant-b...s-out-too-much/

Edited by chw42

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 04:07 PM)
What does this even mean? I don't care who the favorite is. I am telling you that I think the Bulls can beat Brooklyn and Indy and go to the ECF. I do not however think they can beat Miami under any scenario. So it's either: Get the 4th seed and have a shot at the Conference Finals or 3rd Seed and lose in round 2.

1 scenario - James injury.

http://www.csnchicago.com/bulls/report-bul...-out-retirement

The Bulls frontline almost got a "big sexy" addition in advance of the 2014 postseason.

According to a report from ESPN.com's Marc Stein, the Bulls made an effort to lure veteran forward Kurt Thomas out of retirement.

[MORE: Bulls unconcerned about playoff positioning]

The Bulls wanted to add the 41-year-old Thomas to their playoff roster to add some toughness to their rotation. When the Bulls couldn't convince Thomas to join them, they moved on by signing forwards Lou Amundson and Greg Smith.

Thomas, a fan-favorite in Chicago, played his lone season with the Bulls during the 2010-11 season. He appeared in 52 games, scoring 4.1 PPG and hauling in 5.8 RPG. After a 62-20 regular season record, the Bulls were ousted by the Miami Heat in five games in the Eastern Conference Finals that same year.

The thing is, to me, this is the most beatable Heat team since they colluded, er, got together. If only Rose never went down...IMO, if Wade or Bosh get hurt, they won't get to the Finals, call me unimpressed by the Heat supporting cast. LeBron won't get hurt, he's a robot.

The Bulls won't beat them, not enough offense but it could go 7 games.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)
The thing is, to me, this is the most beatable Heat team since they colluded, er, got together. If only Rose never went down...IMO, if Wade or Bosh get hurt, they won't get to the Finals, call me unimpressed by the Heat supporting cast. LeBron won't get hurt, he's a robot.

The Bulls won't beat them, not enough offense but it could go 7 games.

The thing is, if Rose never goes down we never find out that Noah is a point center. I'm interested to see how this new offense rolls.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
I'd absolutely take Kevin Garnett playing defense at an elite level over Brook Lopez. Their results show the same.

Except Kevin Garnett is no longer elite.

And even if he is, he only plays half a game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
Except Kevin Garnett is no longer elite.

And even if he is, he only plays half a game.

His defense turned the Nets from about the worst defensive team out there to above average. It's still absolutely elite. And he plays 22 minutes a game so that he can play 30 plus for the playoffs.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
His defense turned the Nets from about the worst defensive team out there to above average. It's still absolutely elite. And he plays 22 minutes a game so that he can play 30 plus for the playoffs.

2012-2013 Nets Def Rtg: 106.2 pts/100 possessions

2013-2014 Nets Def Rtg: 107.4 pts/100 possessions

The Nets also allowed less points per game last year by almost 4 points (95 vs. 99).

Garnett is still a good defender, but he's nowhere near as valuable as Brook Lopez.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)

Their raw opponents ppg allowed looks good due to their slow-pace. They're only 18th in defensive efficiency, though. KG has missed 30 games and barely played in a handful of others. Not sure what you're seeing. KG has been below average to say the least

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 06:39 PM)
Looks like the Warriors won't have Bogut for the playoffs. Huge blow.

David Lee last year and Bogut this year. Not that they were going very far this year anyway but it still sucks.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
David Lee last year and Bogut this year. Not that they were going very far this year anyway but it still sucks.

The Warriors to me were that one team that could get bounced in the first or shock everybody and get to the finals. Their defense has been elite this year (4th in efficiency) and the way they can blitz you from deep made for a pretty dangerous combo.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
The Warriors to me were that one team that could get bounced in the first or shock everybody and get to the finals. Their defense has been elite this year (4th in efficiency) and the way they can blitz you from deep made for a pretty dangerous combo.

Too many good teams out West for them to run the gauntlet imo. I could have definitely seen them pulling off an upset in the 1st rd but I think they would have been bounced after that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)
Their raw opponents ppg allowed looks good due to their slow-pace. They're only 18th in defensive efficiency, though. KG has missed 30 games and barely played in a handful of others. Not sure what you're seeing. KG has been below average to say the least

They were TERRIBLE defensively before the turn of the calender which also coincides with him actually suiting up somewhat healthy at center for them. I won't pretend to have the split stats to back me up because I'm lazy and they are too hard to find but I found this recent Nets blog that backs me up:

"When Brook Lopez went down, it was believed that the Nets would be a much, much worse defensive team than they already were. Really, they were terrible. But when Garnett moved to play the center spot for the Nets, they actually became one of the better defensive teams. With him on the court, the Nets are now an elite defensive team. Without him, as we've seen in losses against the Raptors and Pistons, the paint is left unmanned and the Nets suddenly look like one of the worst defenses in the NBA. Garnett is still an anchor down low, and is still a valuable asset to the Nets' success."

I lied though and I will bring up some stats. His defensive rpm is second best of anyone in the nba this year. Still elite even if that skews towards big guys. It's per 100 possessions so his limited playing time isn't a factor.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
SO how much consideration should Joakim get for the MVP. To me, Durant is the clear winner, but after that?

lmao. and you say I say dumb s***. Stop! Oh my goodness. What is wrong with you people? We've got the Michael Jordan statue outside of the UC and you wanna talk about Joakim Noah finishing 2nd? get outta here.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
lmao. and you say I say dumb s***. Stop! Oh my goodness. What is wrong with you people? We've got the Michael Jordan statue outside of the UC and you wanna talk about Joakim Noah finishing 2nd? get outta here.

The Heat have flopped down the stretch as have the Pacers.