NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
The Knicks can offer $40 million more than the Bulls from what I read. I would never blame someone for not taking it, but I'm with you, once the "it's not about the money" stuff starts flying, it seems to end up all about the money.

IMO, I think the only way the Bulls sign him is with some sort of sign and trade. I think Pheel would be interested in that. What the Bulls would have to give up, I have zero idea.He has to figure by the time the Knicks are championship quality, Melo is going to be pretty long in the tooth.

To be fair though, isn't one of the reasons the Knicks can offer more the fact that they can offer an extra year? That doesn't seem to matter as much to these guys as the yearly.

But yea, the Bulls would need to move another $10 million or so. They might be able to do it by moving Gibson - obviously after this year, keeping Noah alongside the guys has become a priority.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
How much are picks worth in a trade, money wise? I am just curious, we know the Knicks need picks because they have traded them away like they are worthless

Not sure what this means, are you referring to the associated cap hit?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
Not sure what this means, are you referring to the associated cap hit?

Meaning when trades are made in the NBA, the money has to be close, correct? Do draft picks hold an associated value(slotting, whatever) that will make the trade with the Knicks balance out?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
Meaning when trades are made in the NBA, the money has to be close, correct? Do draft picks hold an associated value(slotting, whatever) that will make the trade with the Knicks balance out?

No.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
So, how do you balance a S&T with the Knicks? It would seem to take a lot more than Taj and picks, as I have read to be suggested

Pretty much need them to take Boozer as filler. It's really hard to get up around $20 mil without that. Ditching Taj is more of a pre-requisite to get team salary low enough to sign Melo outright.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
Question: if the Bulls do get Melo in a S&T, do they still get to use their MLE or are they just stuck trying to find guys for the minimum salary?

They can only use the full MLE if they can stay below the tax line, and that includes the value of that contract. If they give someone the full MLE, they can't go over the tax line for any reason. Otherwise they only get the mini-MLE which is around $3 million.

If they opt to try to use cap space to sign Melo out-right, they can't use the MLE. You can't use both cap space and the MLE. Your exceptions are actually used as cap holds until you give them up.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
They can only use the full MLE if they can stay below the tax line, and that includes the value of that contract. If they give someone the full MLE, they can't go over the tax line for any reason. Otherwise they only get the mini-MLE which is around $3 million.

If they opt to try to use cap space to sign Melo out-right, they can't use the MLE. You can't use both cap space and the MLE. Your exceptions are actually used as cap holds until you give them up.

So just to make sure I understand: if they get Melo in a S&T, they can still use the mini-MLE?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
So just to make sure I understand: if they get Melo in a S&T, they can still use the mini-MLE?

After double-checking the FAQ, I was mistaken. The tax-payer/mini MLE can no longer be used if a team acquires a player in a sign and trade in the same season. This changed after 2012/13.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
After double-checking the FAQ, I was mistaken. The tax-payer/mini MLE can no longer be used if a team acquires a player in a sign and trade in the same season. This changed after 2012/13.

So if the Bulls get Melo, there's pretty much no situation in which they can use any sort of exception.

Well that's just great.

If they do get Melo the lineup would be: Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Melo, Noah with Tony Snell and Greg Smith on the bench. I'm not sure who they can pickup for the minimum, but that's a very thin team.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
So if the Bulls get Melo, there's pretty much no situation in which they can use any sort of exception.

Well that's just great.

If they do get Melo the lineup would be: Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Melo, Noah with Tony Snell and Greg Smith on the bench. I'm not sure who they can pickup for the minimum, but that's a very thin team.

If you get that core together, you can add minimum wage guys to it. People will come here to win. That also doesn't mean you can't add to it in the future, you just can't this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
If you get that core together, you can add minimum wage guys to it. People will come here to win. That also doesn't mean you can't add to it in the future, you just can't this year.

I get that. The Bulls would be an instant championship contender. But they certainly would have issues in the first year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
I get that. The Bulls would be an instant championship contender. But they certainly would have issues in the first year.

If Thibs is here, you can't count on him turning some scrub or two into serviceable players. He is amazing at pulling an Augustin or Robinson out of his ass.

I don't think there's a chance in hell Melo goes back to New York if he actually wants to win.

That roster is a total mess. Amar'e and Bargnani are going to get their player options and they're going to be way over the tax and have no draft picks.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
Probably going to need the full MLE for him, which would be tough with Melo.

There were rumors a while ago that Nikola may take less than the MLE to come over.

If so, this scenario IS possible:

Rose/Kirk/Jimmer

Butler/Brewer

Melo/Dunleavy

Nikola/Taj

Noah/Smith

Brewer, Kirk and Jimmer would all have to be vet minimums, which I don't see why they wouldn't.

You keep a second rounder for possible depth. Other ring chasers.

Bench ain't great, but when you have that starting line + Taj, things can happen.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 18, 2014 -> 12:50 AM)
There were rumors a while ago that Nikola may take less than the MLE to come over.

If so, this scenario IS possible:

Rose/Kirk/Jimmer

Butler/Brewer

Melo/Dunleavy

Nikola/Taj

Noah/Smith

Brewer, Kirk and Jimmer would all have to be vet minimums, which I don't see why they wouldn't.

You keep a second rounder for possible depth. Other ring chasers.

Bench ain't great, but when you have that starting line + Taj, things can happen.

I don't think the salaries can possibly work out unless the Knicks only take Boozer in the S&T.

It's pretty much a guarantee you'll have to deal Taj if you want Melo.

Edited by chw42