Your Realistic 2014 Lineup

Dunt

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
What are the expectations for Abreu, I have no idea. Besides that, are 3-5 in the rotation going to get better because they absolutely have to. After all that, the pen is an issue as well.

If you have no idea wha the expectations are for Abreu, why did you post this:

As I've detailed before, there quite possibly is a team out there that would trade for Upton if his price tag were $25-$30M over 4 years. Take the $30M hit on the payroll over the next two years and the prospect. The Braves get rid of the entire contract, the team that traded for Upton gets what it wants, and the Sox basically buy a prospect while keeping their long-term financial flexibility. Better than Abreu for 4-years? I would say yes.

And what team is interested in Upton and what type of prospect can you "buy" for $30 million? C'mon Marty, provide specifics or quit trolling.

And a team is going to take on $30 million of Uptons contract AND give you a top prospect back? If you are that high, you need rehab.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)

As I've detailed before, there quite possibly is a team out there that would trade for Upton if his price tag were $25-$30M over 4 years. Take the $30M hit on the payroll over the next two years and the prospect. The Braves get rid of the entire contract, the team that traded for Upton gets what it wants, and the Sox basically buy a prospect while keeping their long-term financial flexibility. Better than Abreu for 4-years? I would say yes.

And what team is interested in Upton and what type of prospect can you "buy" for $30 million? C'mon Marty, provide specifics or quit trolling.

And a team is going to take on $30 million of Uptons contract AND give you a top prospect back? If you are that high, you need rehab.

There maybe no team that is interested in Upton ay half price. I don't know. Define top prospect by the way?

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)

Ya, I still haven't found a deal like that. People brought up the Toronto trades but that was ALL salary and no prospects. Emilio Bonifacio, Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and John Buck, so that rules out that trade.

On a different note, I was checking out the splits, and Gillaspie is actually hitting .282/.334/.432 with 12 HRs and 25 XBHs vs RHP. This surprised me, perhaps the Sox can get by with just picking up a platoon player to bat vs LHP which should be a cheap "fix" for 3B.

Same for catcher where Phegs is hitting LHP pretty well (though I'd like to see him take more walks). I wouldn't be against McCann but picking up a platoon partner for Phegs would obviously be cheaper and they could spend the big money else where. Perhaps on Ellsbury.

Ellsbury and Abreu are now my pipe dream. I moved on from Abreu/McCann.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 11:38 AM)
Ya, I still haven't found a deal like that. People brought up the Toronto trades but that was ALL salary and no prospects. Emilio Bonifacio, Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and John Buck, so that rules out that trade.

On a different note, I was checking out the splits, and Gillaspie is actually hitting .282/.334/.432 with 12 HRs and 25 XBHs vs RHP. This surprised me, perhaps the Sox can get by with just picking up a platoon player to bat vs LHP which should be a cheap "fix" for 3B.

Same for catcher where Phegs is hitting LHP pretty well (though I'd like to see him take more walks). I wouldn't be against McCann but picking up a platoon partner for Phegs would obviously be cheaper and they could spend the big money else where. Perhaps on Ellsbury.

Ellsbury and Abreu are now my pipe dream. I moved on from Abreu/McCann.

I think the prices on the free agent market are going to be super inflated this year because of the lack of depth and new tv money. If you need a CF'er would you rather spend $70M+ on Ellsbury or trade a good prospect to get Upton at $30M?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

This really isn't quite true. Despite taking on all that salary, a literally ridiculous amount of salary, the Blue Jays still sent along some decent talent. Here was one early reaction:

In return, the Marlins are getting a cheap No. 3 or 4 starter in Alvarez, a possible long-term shortstop in Hechevarria, two very good prospects who will both probably crack the bottom half of top 100 lists next spring in Nicolino and Marisnick, a possible bullpen arm in DeSclafani and whatever Escobar brings back in trade. That’s pretty good.
For comparison, that seems qualitatively similar to the White Sox sending along Semien, Daniel Webb, Micah Johnson, Rienzo, and probably another piece while still taking on $150 million+.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
I think the prices on the free agent market are going to be super inflated this year because of the lack of depth and new tv money. If you need a CF'er would you rather spend $70M+ on Ellsbury or trade a good prospect to get Upton at $30M?

Hell, even if Upton had put up a normal season for him I'd choose Ellsbury out of those 2 options. Throwing in a prospect and on top of it the fact that Upton's put up an Adam Dunn caliber season? If Upton is worth $30 million+ a good player in addition, then you've sold me on Ellsbury being worth $120 million.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 11:46 AM)

Depends what you mean by "good prospect". Sox will have plenty of money to spend with the money they freed up in the Peavy, Thornton, Crain and Rios deals to go along with PK and Floyd that if they really wanted to they can go balls out on Abreu and Ellsbury, and keep said "good prospect".

I'd also rather have the guy who's shown the ability to get on base in Ellsbury over Upton. Hell, Uptons OBP makes ADAs OBP look good (32 points higher).

I want a guy who gets on base to bat leadoff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
This really isn't quite true. Despite taking on all that salary, a literally ridiculous amount of salary, the Blue Jays still sent along some decent talent. Here was one early reaction:

For comparison, that seems qualitatively similar to the White Sox sending along Semien, Daniel Webb, Micah Johnson, Rienzo, and probably another piece while still taking on $150 million+.

I think I'm misunderstanding the argument here. I thought Marty was saying the Sox, who would be the Blue Jays in this scenario, would be getting a good prospect back for taking on a bad contract. The Blue Jays didn't get back a good prospect, they gave up good prospects.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
I think I'm misunderstanding the argument here. I thought Marty was saying the Sox, who would be the Blue Jays in this scenario, would be getting a good prospect back for taking on a bad contract. The Blue Jays didn't get back a good prospect, they gave up good prospects.

LOL, someone thinks the Braves will give up an extra player to save 1/2 of his deal?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Hell, even if Upton had put up a normal season for him I'd choose Ellsbury out of those 2 options. Throwing in a prospect and on top of it the fact that Upton's put up an Adam Dunn caliber season? If Upton is worth $30 million+ a good player in addition, then you've sold me on Ellsbury being worth $120 million.

Upton was just one example, Balta. Do you think there's a team out there that would give up a prospect of value to take a chance on Pujols at a $60M discount courtesy of the White Sox?

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
Upton was just one example, Balta. Do you think there's a team out there that would give up a prospect of value to take a chance on Pujols at a $60M discount courtesy of the White Sox?

So basically the deal would be the White Sox paying $60 million for a prospect?

I assume that there's a Bryce Harper available? Because otherwise this is the usual inanity you provide.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
So basically the deal would be the White Sox paying $60 million for a prospect?

I assume that there's a Bryce Harper available? Because otherwise this is the usual inanity you provide.

What better way to spend $60M over the next two years. They are not going to win anything in 2014 or 2015.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 12:25 PM)
What better way to spend $60M over the next two years. They are not going to win anything in 2014 or 2015.

Are the mods seriously going to tolerate this nonsense? If he wasn't clearly trolling before, he's obviously all-in now. I get that everyone has a right to an opinion, but this is becoming utterly ridiculous. If someone in baseball actually proposed this idea, they'd be blackballed from the game for life. It's blatant trolling and everyone here knows it.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
anybody putting dunn in the 2014 lineup must be under the assumption that he has a bodyguard. if not, his life is in serious danger. greg just might order a hit on him or take him out himself.

Ugh. I already said I liked Dunn the person. Dunn the player is who angers me. I personally don't like jokes like this.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
There maybe no team that is interested in Upton ay half price. I don't know. Define top prospect by the way?

A prospect that will more than likely help the White Sox contend. Plus a guy a reasonable owner wouldn' t have his GM committed for even suggesting they spend $30 million to acquire.

Not a guy you would get for 2 months of Matt Thornton.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Are the mods seriously going to tolerate this nonsense? If he wasn't clearly trolling before, he's obviously all-in now. I get that everyone has a right to an opinion, but this is becoming utterly ridiculous. If someone in baseball actually proposed this idea, they'd be blackballed from the game for life. It's blatant trolling and everyone here knows it.

Please.

I don't think there is a combination of available free agents that will turn this team around next year, but I don't see it as likely that the Sox will cut payroll either. Do you still want to owe McCann ~$40M from 2016-18 which is the window they should be shooting for to contend? No thanks. I don't want any deadweight contracts on the books at that time.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 06:59 PM)
Please.

I don't think there is a combination of available free agents that will turn this team around next year, but I don't see it as likely that the Sox will cut payroll either. Do you still want to owe McCann ~$40M from 2016-18 which is the window they should be shooting for to contend? No thanks. I don't want any deadweight contracts on the books at that time.

And again.

1b: konerko

2b: tadahito iguchi

SS: juan uribe

3b: joe crede

RF: jermaine dre

CF: aaron rowand

LF: scott podsednik

C: AJ pierzynski!

DH: carl everett

SP: contreras, buehrle, freddy garcia, jon garland, el duque

RP: polite, cotts, jenks, hermanson, viscaino, marte

DL: frank thomas

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 14, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
I haven't read anyone suggesting Shin Soo Chu, in quite a while. Why aren't more of you advocating his acquisition?

His contract hasn't been extended has it?

He's an On Base machine, left handed and a very good outfielder. I'd prefer him to Pence, mainly because he's a LH hitter.

Chu is really good against RHP, and as I have pointed out before, our Division has very few good LH pitchers.

The Sox could use several bats that would be effective vs. some of the very good right handers on the Tigers and Indians.

My post got lost in the game thread so I'd like to dig it out and throw it in here...Hopefully its not viewed as "baiting the troll"

This was of course in response to greg saying he "wouldn't cuss" if Paulie was brought back...The above post is what I referenced in my post.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 16, 2013 -> 07:30 AM)
I would.

It truly amazes me how much you hate Dunn but would be fine with PK being resigned.

Another poster brought up Choo in another thread and talked about how he would be a good addition due to the fact that there are a ton of RHPs within the division and he smashes RHP. I thought this was a great point because our hitters have around 400 abs vs RHP and around 130 abs vs LHP so it makes sense to put a higher priority on hitters who hit RHP well, right? Here are the Dunn vs PK stats vs RHP...

PK- .225/.291/.308 6 HRs 35 RBI (338 ABs)

Dunn- .226/.328/.450 25 HRs 60 RBI (380)

Sure PK can still smash LHP but he faces RHP nearly 3x as much.

Just curious as to what Old Greg has to say about this.

A Dunn/Konerko DH platoon could be sexy.

Edited by scs787