2013-2014 NHL thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This really pisses me off. Just what we need, some scrolling bulls*** sign probably telling people to tweet. That f***ing sign was epic.

‘Madhouse On Madison’ Sign Removed From United Center

(CBS) Blackhawks and Bulls fans looking for the “Madhouse On Madison” sign inside the United Center seating bowl won’t find the iconic image anymore.

According to Bulls vice president of branding and communications Susan Goodenow, the sign was taken down after the Bulls and Blackhawks seasons ended.

171168437.jpg

The move was made as part of a larger initiative to improve fan experience at the United Center, the Tribune reports. The signage, however, was kept in tact so it can be used for future projects.

Replacing the Madhouse sign will be a new LED signage system aimed to enhance the in-arena entertainment and messaging, which both teams will use during games.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/06/mad...-united-center/

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
This really pisses me off. Just what we need, some scrolling bulls*** sign probably telling people to tweet. That f***ing sign was epic.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/06/mad...-united-center/

It's coming down because of United Airlines. It's called the United Center, but almost everyone, even in media, calls it the Madhouse on Madison. It's not to "improve the fan experience" or whatever.

I'm actually glad it's coming down. The Madhouse on Madison is now a parking lot slightly northeast of the United Center. Nothing will ever change that, no matter what John McDonough or bandwagon fans would like to think.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)

Thanks. Yeah, it isn't like they are taking the ivy down at Wrigley or something. It was cool and all, but it isn't worth being upset about. Hell as long as they keep competing on the ice, I could give a s*** less what the signs above the ice say.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
The sign only went up in the last 10 years or so anyway, right?

John McDonough pandering to the bandwagoners, and United Airlines didn't like it, and rightly so. I'm surprised it took this long for them to have them take it down.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
It's coming down because of United Airlines. It's called the United Center, but almost everyone, even in media, calls it the Madhouse on Madison. It's not to "improve the fan experience" or whatever.

I'm actually glad it's coming down. The Madhouse on Madison is now a parking lot slightly northeast of the United Center. Nothing will ever change that, no matter what John McDonough or bandwagon fans would like to think.

I have never thought of it as anything but the United Center nor in casual conversation have I heard anyone call it that but the media liked to show it and call it that. I like that it is coming down, I thought it was cheesy.

Also twitter is a joke but that it beside the point.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
John McDonough pandering to the bandwagoners, and United Airlines didn't like it, and rightly so. I'm surprised it took this long for them to have them take it down.

Hey, just because something is "new" that doesn't make it only for the bandwagoners.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Thanks. Yeah, it isn't like they are taking the ivy down at Wrigley or something. It was cool and all, but it isn't worth being upset about. Hell as long as they keep competing on the ice, I could give a s*** less what the signs above the ice say.

Well, yeah. But then also I can say "As long as they are competing on the UC ice, I don't want to hear s*** about how Chicago stadium was amazing"

I thought it was nice. I reject the idea that traditions were only allowed to start in the 1940s and anything after that is just a fad bandwagon item.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
I really like the name Madhouse on Madison. United is a bulls*** company and they can go f*** themselves.

The Chicago Stadium was the Madhouse on Madison. If you went to any games there, the difference is huge. The crowd noise was just deafening.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Well, yeah. But then also I can say "As long as they are competing on the UC ice, I don't want to hear s*** about how Chicago stadium was amazing"

I thought it was nice. I reject the idea that traditions were only allowed to start in the 1940s and anything after that is just a fad bandwagon item.

I'm not saying that at all. I do believe the sign is meaningless though. The real Madhouse was the Stadium. The UC is the UC. They aren't anywhere close to the same thing. Putting up a sign to pretend they are the same is just silly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)
I'm not saying that at all. I do believe the sign is meaningless though. The real Madhouse was the Stadium. The UC is the UC. They aren't anywhere close to the same thing. Putting up a sign to pretend they are the same is just silly.

People comment on stadiums all the time. I don't understand what could make this commentary less valid. I was also angry when they changed pizza vendors to digiornos but hey, we won a stanley cup so i guess I should delete that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
People comment on stadiums all the time. I don't understand what could make this commentary less valid. I was also angry when they changed pizza vendors to digiornos but hey, we won a stanley cup so i guess I should delete that.

It isn't the Madhouse on Madison. That is the Chicago Stadium. How does a sign change that?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
It isn't the Madhouse on Madison. That is the Chicago Stadium. How does a sign change that?

That's what I'm saying. it's crap. Did all the fans die in 93? Did people stop cheering during National Anthem when the UC opened? Stadiums change. As long as it's still on Madison and it's where the hawks play they can throw whatever charming allusion the past they want. Any other opinion is just stubborn oldmanisms.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)

Sometimes Krush can get a little carried away with the "bandwagon" jargon. He and I have discussed this - and I'll try to keep it under control moving forward.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
That's what I'm saying. it's crap. Did all the fans die in 93? Did people stop cheering during National Anthem when the UC opened? Stadiums change. As long as it's still on Madison and it's where the hawks play they can throw whatever charming allusion the past they want. Any other opinion is just stubborn oldmanisms.

This. It's still a madhouse on madison and the sign was the s***.