Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
That is confusing. And what you think is more leaked? That the price it to high or teams bluffing about being skeptical Peavy's contract?

The high price tag is to be expected...that is nothing new...it's the part about teams not wanting him for next year.

That is bs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Not the high price tag, but the part about being unsure about wanting to keep him for next year.

I understand the price tag. But with Peavy, a team will get a #2 starter. And if this is true than Boston seems best fit because they can add payroll.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Heyman has been saying that GMs love Peavy while Olney has been saying that nobody likes his contract. In my experience, Heyman has always been more accurate. Others may disagree

Heyman and Rosenthal are usually the most accurate, but that isn't necessarily a high threshold.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
I think Rick is looking to find a SS elsewhere before he deals Ramirez.

That's dumb. Not saying you are necessarily wrong, but if you are turning down good, solid talent because you don't have a replacement ready on a team that isn't going to win a damn thing, then you are making a critical mistake

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Heyman and Rosenthal are usually the most accurate, but that isn't necessarily a high threshold.

Rosenthal is the best and Heyman isn't bad except he is always a whore for Boras.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 05:02 PM)
C'mon. Peavy's getting traded. This is all posturing.

I'm going to be skeptical until it happens, the Sox holding on to Peavy would almost exactly fit with what happened in 2007 the last time they stunk it up.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)
Towers has said no. Not sure if that is gamesmanship or not.

I think that's bs. They need to move one of their outfielders IMO. Part of their problem is they rotate 5 OF guys to keep them happy and give them all PT and none of them are getting into a consistent rhythm. Kubel would be the likely candidate I'd think at $7.5M. Also...why on earth they took on Heath Bell @$10M a year is beyond me...regardless what Miami is pitching in on his remaining.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:15 PM)
Teams are going to want him before he starts tomorrow, I would think. Definitely before his start on the 30th

I agree, that what's Bucket was saying that closer it gets the less he can say. Makes me thing that Peavy to Boston could happen very soon in my opinion. And no matter what team it is, I think it would be smart of Hahn to trade him before his start tomorrow.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
I agree, that what's Bucket was saying that closer it gets the less he can say. Makes me thing that Peavy to Boston could happen very soon in my opinion. And no matter what team it is, I think it would be smart of Hahn to trade him before his start tomorrow.

If the other teams want him that badly, they can increase their current offer.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
If money is an issue with STL, we should pay Peavy's contract and take in more talent. I know it would never happen but to me it is entirely practical. We have more money than we will spend why don't we use it to create young talent.

Ultimately, I think Jaker goes to Boston but I think the FO should do everything in their power to have Matt Adams as our OD first baseman next year. Whatever the cost.

I like Adams, but 1B can be found in a lot of different shapes. If I am Hahn, I'm not doing everything in my power to get Matt Adams into town.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
C'mon. Peavy's getting traded. This is all posturing.

Hahn is smart, until he dumps someone under contract for next year, he can still play the "we may go for it in 2014" card to drive up prices. I agree, this is nothing more than posturing. Every GM is leaking something like this right now, whether it's a "we can't take on money" or "we won't mortgage the future".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
I'm going to be skeptical until it happens, the Sox holding on to Peavy would almost exactly fit with what happened in 2007 the last time they stunk it up.

Yeah, I fond Soxtalk's confidence in him getting dealt pretty funny right now. it could still happen but it is 50/50 at best

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
If money is an issue with STL, we should pay Peavy's contract and take in more talent. I know it would never happen but to me it is entirely practical. We have more money than we will spend why don't we use it to create young talent.

Ultimately, I think Jaker goes to Boston but I think the FO should do everything in their power to have Matt Adams as our OD first baseman next year. Whatever the cost.

We're on the same exact page.

Give me Adams and Wong no matter what it costs.

It won't happen thou - have a very hard time thinking the cards will part with Adams.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)

We're looking at next year being the first time in a long time that we don't have a franchise cornerstone power hitter at 1B. Between Big Hurt and PK, that's just been something we take for granted. We've also had guys like Robin, Maggs, C.Lee, Dye, etc. often present as other big bats. At this point, it looks like it will just be Dunn. Dunn is a fine middle of the order bat, but approaching mid-30s with an expiring contract isn't the type of thing I had in mind. If he was 25, that'd be great.

I have to think our FO wants to find a mainstay power bat

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
I could be wrong but I think teams would want to see him start one more time before pulling the trigger on a trade.

It certainly may be, but it is important to keep in mind that he has already made 2 starts consecutively so the initial fears about his health should be gone.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
Yeah, I fond Soxtalk's confidence in him getting dealt pretty funny right now. it could still happen but it is 50/50 at best

Peavy is probably the best starting pitcher available right now, and there are a lot of teams that would love to have him.

Sox are in a great position right now. They won't pass up this opportunity.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
We're looking at next year being the first time in a long time that we don't have a franchise cornerstone power hitter at 1B. Between Big Hurt and PK, that's just been something we take for granted. We've also had guys like Robin, Maggs, C.Lee, Dye, etc. often present as other big bats. At this point, it looks like it will just be Dunn. Dunn is a fine middle of the order bat, but approaching mid-30s with an expiring contract isn't the type of thing I had in mind. If he was 25, that'd be great.

I have to think our FO wants to find a mainstay power bat

Seeing the guys we have drafted and brought into the system in the last couple of years, there is no doubt about that.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
I thought about this Kubel pick up as well. I wonder if it would be possible to take on Kubel's contract + Owings + low level prospect(s) and then turn around Kubel and trade him for whatever we can get. A la Toronto with Edwin Jackson a couple years back. Someone of the 24 "contenders" has to want a LH bat that wouldn't cost much prospect wise.

that was my line of thinking too...especially if we move Rios by himself or in a package.