Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 09:10 PM)
Assuming we have Lexi and Beckham next year that would be an awfully weak hitting infield sans Dunn/1B/DH brought in next year.

Maybe all the years of the Sox being in the top 5 in HRs has spoiled me into wanting more power.

Can't blame you for that when you factor in what we had last year with Viciedo ,Konerko, Youk , Beckham , & AJ . Injuries ,old age, bad years and losing AJ and Youk = loads of lost power.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 11:26 PM)
I've never seen SO MUCH misinformation during a Sox deadline.

Must be one difference with Hanh compared to KW

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
Yeah this is nuts and I'm not liking it

I'm the opposite -- I'm digging it; big-time digging it.

Loved KW in so many ways, but my one major problem with him was (using, appropriately, football imagery) is that he fixated on his receivers and stared them down. Yeah, he'd go all sleuth on the press from time-to-time, but it generally came out that he was all-over getting one specific guy (a la "THE CQ" and not just a CQ type), and more subtle GMs took advantage in making him overpay. The dude rarely seemed to exercise his leverage.

The mis-information, dis-information, and non-information should be a good thing. In theory, Hahn's personality and training (as a lawyer) should make him more difficult to read and figure out. The press is having difficulty figuring out what's happening and this makes me hopeful that rival GMs aren't all over him as well. He's doing what anyone who has some leverage wants and needs to do -- USE it, in this case by listening, waiting, and fostering a competitive bidding atmosphere where someone will step-up and pay top-dollar. Other than Crain (whose injury was a real unlucky blow to him and to the team), the Sox don't need to trade any of their chips right now. You want them? Then whoever pays our price will get 'em. There are many largely interchangeable types of talent within most of these systems. Don't fixate on particular players; fixate on maxing out the overall return (in the entire series of transactions).

It remains to be seen what Rick is going to be able to accomplish, but I haven't seen anything yet which concerns me. To me, it seems he's playing his cards exactly the right way.

Keep on keepin' on, Rick Hahn!

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
I can't believe you're old enough to be married and having a baby. Also shocked I never noticed your join date.

Even 8 year olds can impregnate.

I'm immature and witty with a very intense level of stupidity at times here on soxtalk. It's a place for me to connect with innocence... A fond reminder of something sacred in childhood...

Baseball. :)

However, outside of this hiatus I am full of integrity and am very mature. A proud father to be, a self sustaining business man, and have been able to simi-retire in Hawaii at the age of 30. The end of July is one of my favorite times of year.

Enough about me, such things do not belong within the glory that is... TRADE WINDS!

Oh... Also bbilek, if the rules permitted... I may have been tempted to throw you a bird which squawks expletives.

A f***ing ninja bird ranting and raving f*** yous. A pooping bird. Landing and pooping all over you.

Well... No, that wouldn't be nice.

f*** this stupidity. Trades. Must. Happen.

May we all rejoice together in peace!

Not likely... That would be far to mature.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
Just got a text from my source to expect huge news in the next hour or so. Said to expect multiple White Sox players moved for an intriguing package that would shock everyone around the league. Oh yeah and I made that all up.

I happened to find this post rather enjoyable. It's funny.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
White Sox writers need to figure it out then. Jeez.

No, White Sox writers know exactly what's going on. They're employed by the team and told what to write by the team. This is leveraging on both sides.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
I happened to find this post rather enjoyable. It's funny.

No, White Sox writers know exactly what's going on. They're employed by the team and told what to write by the team. This is leveraging on both sides.

Thanks for the clarification.

My 1st post here so be gentle :)

I'm enjoying the trade deadline and the way that Hahn is handling it.

His tactics are very clever and he has quickly realised that he has the cards and is looking to get the maximum return for them.

Using the media and the writers the way he has is very clever, playing teams off against each other.

If he plays the game right, we could end up with some very nice returns for our players.

One advantage that Hahn has, which he flaps in front of the other GM's, is that most of his players are under contract until at least the end of next season and he doesn't have to sell.

My personal opinion is that there will be alot more rumors kicking about and we won't really see the action until the 30th and 31st July as time runs out and teams start to get desperate.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)

His tactics are very clever and he has quickly realised that he has the cards and is looking to get the maximum return for them.

Using the media and the writers the way he has is very clever, playing teams off against each other.

If he plays the game right, we could end up with some very nice returns for our players.

One advantage that Hahn has, which he flaps in front of the other GM's, is that most of his players are under contract until at least the end of next season and he doesn't have to sell.

My personal opinion is that there will be alot more rumors kicking about and we won't really see the action until the 30th and 31st July as time runs out and teams start to get desperate.

nice first post and welcome to soxtalk. agreed on all accounts. i like how this is being played. the misinformation is a good sign, imo.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)

Welcome to the board! WE have posters from Ireland and England, but I think you may be the first Scotsman I've seen.

Good post too. Not sure I agree he waits THAT long though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)
Welcome to the board! WE have posters from Ireland and England, but I think you may be the first Scotsman I've seen.

Good post too. Not sure I agree he waits THAT long though.

Thanks for the Welcome.

We have a big baseball following in Scotland (for such a small country)

Personally, I think he will wait that long, although Sunday night may see the 1st movement, probably Peavy. He doesn't have to sell, he is waiting for teams to get desperate and he is wanting the best return. The longer he waits, the more he'll get offered.

He knows that this season is bust and that it's now all about next season.

He'll have a long term plan of the positions that he needs players for, which Free Agents to target in the off-season and then what trades he needs to make to get the squad that he wants.

It's a very interesting few months ahead for the Sox and the September call ups could be an excellent chance for some of the Prospects to show that like Phegley, they have what it takes.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
If it's true that the Red Sox are offering Middlebrooks for Peavy, then why the f*** hasn't Hahn pulled the trigger?????

because middlebrooks has a 4% walk rate and a near 28% strike out rate? If peavy goes to BOS, I want Garin Cecchini and Blake Swihart coming back.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)

Welcome to Soxtalk!

The Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Braves, and Orioles each have a scout in attendance, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark, while the Reds and Rangers have two apiece. Keep in mind that their presence does not necessarily imply trade interest in Peavy.

per mlbtraderumors

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
The Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Braves, and Orioles each have a scout in attendance, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark, while the Reds and Rangers have two apiece. Keep in mind that their presence does not necessarily imply trade interest in Peavy.

per mlbtraderumors

Maybe they just really want to try a nacho helmet.

If Peavy is traded, who exactly is our RH starting pitcher going to be next season?

Are they really going to let Erik Johnson or D. Axelrod be their only RH starter?

I'm just asking.

My guess is that they don't get good enough offers to justify trading Rios, Peavy or anyone else who could still be on the team next year. And instead, they try to put together a middle of the order, and compete.