Peavy to Boston, Avisail Garcia + 3 low lv specs to Sox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 3m

Boston has a scout at the CWS game today, presumably to watch Peavy and follow up on some of the background work they have done.

This is going to get interesting over Peavy and Crain. Both the Red Sox and DBacks love both of these guys. Hopefully both fighting over them will drive the price up.

I could see a package of Cecchini, Britton, Keury De La Cruz, and Margot would be a good package for Peavy and Crain from the Red Sox.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
Boston and Arizona are definitely the teams that we want interested. Those are two systems loaded with position players.

Agreed, if I'm Hahn, I would start with these 2 teams, and end with these 2 teams.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
This is going to get interesting over Peavy and Crain. Both the Red Sox and DBacks love both of these guys. Hopefully both fighting over them will drive the price up.

I could see a package of Cecchini, Britton, Keury De La Cruz, and Margot would be a good package for Peavy and Crain from the Red Sox.

I want Bryce Brent from the Red Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
No need to settle for anything with Peavy. He will be in the same situation Garza is now, next year.

Peavy has to go this year given his injury history. I hope the Sox learned a lesson keeping Quentin too long.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
No need to settle for anything with Peavy. He will be in the same situation Garza is now, next year.

Absolutely. I'd love to get a nice haul now and put Erik Johnson into the rotation but they don't have to trade Jake. He's a big trade chip in the offseason and at this time next year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
Peavy is a ticking time bomb. It's simply too big of a risk to take when the Sox have so many holes to fill.

You know, for once, I think Marty kinda has a point.

I still think the reason to trade Peavy is that the sox are already loaded with pitching, but "making sure Jake doesn't get hurt again while we're paying for him" isn't the worst reason I've ever hear.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)

I still think the reason to trade Peavy is that the sox are already loaded with pitching, but "making sure Jake doesn't get hurt again while we're paying for him" isn't the worst reason I've ever hear.

Agreed with Marty. Have to trade Peavy before the deadline. He pitches well, very valuable because he's not a rental.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
Can we get Eaton and Owings from AZ? Throw Crain in for s***s and gigs? Eaton and Owings gives you a nice start to a quick rebuild.

I know their looking for bullpen help big time. I could see a Eaton, Owings, Anderson and Lamb for Peavy, Crain, and cash.

And for once Balta, I think there's hope for you.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
I know their looking for bullpen help big time. I could see a Eaton, Owings, Anderson and Lamb for Peavy, Crain, and cash.

If we could pull that off i'd be amazed.

Eaton/Ownings is going to be hard to get. I could see one or the other, but would be hard to get both.

You probably have a better chance at a package of Ownings/Davidson

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)

Where do you suppose Reed's value is to Crain's? I'd prefer not to package Peavy and Crain if at all possible.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 20, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Where do you suppose Reed's value is to Crain's? I'd prefer not to package Peavy and Crain if at all possible.

I'm not an expert to say the least but I believe that Crain has more of a track record. Crain when healthy is easily the best set up man in the game this year. Putting up a 0.78 ERA in the AL is remarkable. There is major interest in him because he is in the last year of his contract, and frankly I don't think Hahn wants to trade Reed.

Packaging Peavy and Crain would certainly package a good haul of prospects, especially Boston, I know they love Crain and Bailey just went down with a season ending injury.

Boston prospects I'd be interested in are: Webster, Owens, Bentz, Cecchini, Marrero, Britton, Workman, De La Cruz, and Margot.

DBacks prospects I'd be interested in are: Owings, Davidson, Eaton, Anderson, Lamb, Trahan, Holmberg, and Barrett.

Packaging Peavy and Crain to either of those teams can get you 4 or 5 of those players.

I think you're over-estimating how loaded we are with starting pitching. Sale, Peavy, Danks, Quintana, & Santiago is an excellent rotation top to bottom, there is no arguing that. However, Axelrod has shown he's no more than a #5 and quite frankly shouldn't factor in any long-term decision-making. I really like Johnson though and feel that he's ready for an opportunity, so I think we can definitely afford to move a starter. Having said that, it's not the end of the world if he starts next year in AAA. After Johnson, Rienzo is the only other prospect who's even close to being ready for a job and he may ultimately wind up as a reliever. So behind our strong rotation, we have one legit prospect, another question mark, and a fringe #5 type. That's pretty decent depth for now, but trade Peavy and it's gone pretty quickly plus you've instantly weakened your major league rotation.

Again, I think we can afford trade a starter and Peavy is the ideal guy to move IMO, but if the offers don't come in where you want them to you might as well hold on to him until the offseason. You don't simply dump a #2 starter for below market value to give someone like Axelrod or Rienzo innings. You only move him if you can acquire a couple position playing prospects that can help you as soon as next year. Hopefully Peavy pitches well today, because his contract should make him the most valuable starter on the market if his rib injury is behind him.

It seems like there is too much importance being put on this start for Peavy. Teams aren't going to base Peavy's value on 1 start. As long as he shows he's healthy, it doesn't matter whether he throws a shutout or gets shellacked. If he's hitting the numbers on the gun and able to throw all his pitches are what the teams are going to want to see.

It's not like if he throws 7 scoreless inning that Boston, or whoever, is going to start adding pieces to the mix. Teams know by now the limits they are willing to stretch for just about any player.