caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
I just really have a hard time we are gonna hitch our wagon to a high schooler.

It's pretty obvious they're taking a pitcher, and no matter who that it--whether it's Rodon or Aiken or Kolek, or somebody else, it's a gamble.

I'm glad they have the 3rd pick, and I'm confident in the Sox ability to develop pitching, but call me when this guy is healthy and good in Birmingham--and a phone call away from the majors.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Without trading, I don't know how much this matters picking 3rd overall.

How about this, Kolek-Aiken go 1-2 and then Rodon wants over-slot... If we end up drafting Tyler Beede, even if it's under-slot, I'm going to be livid. We really could end up with any three of the trio but if Rodon is going to be an issue at 3 it can get very interesting. I feel Aiken is the most likely pick until the next wrench in the mocks pop up.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's why the Hoffman setback is so damaging, not that we aren't going to have an opportunity to draft one of the top three, but their camp will recognize the drop off and take advantage of it financially.

For all the talk about Rodon being a tough sign, the high school kids have all the leverage. We'll get a great pitcher, but we are going to pay slot or over.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 6, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Id prefer Aiken or Kolek, but would be fine with Rodon at slot. Wouldn't be surprised if the Sox go for a Freeland or Nola at savings to spread money later if Rodon is what's left at 3 though.

I just can't get on board with the sacrifice of going underslot for a premier top 3 pick in order to go overslot for mediocre, less-proven mid-round prospects. The number 3 pick will have the highest chance of making a big league impact, it's imperative the Sox draft the BPA there. (Besides, while not perfect, the new slotting process prevents egregious gouging by agents anyway- the incentives and risk/reward are clearer.)

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
How opposed (if at all) do the Sox seem to be to drafting a high schooler? Because I really believe that with Rodon's success lately he has a really good shot at going #1 overall.

They grabbed Danish pretty highly last year, higher than most expected him to go. The Hahn regime has been much more willing to take chances on high school talent thus far, but it really depends on what they project each guy to be and how likely they are to get there. Aiken and Kolek by most accounts have the kind of stuff where they might reach the majors in a similar timeframe as Nola, Fedde, Hoffman, or Weaver.

Why is everyone scared about paying Rodon for 1-1 money? If we had truly tanked even worse last year and ended up with the #1 pick, we would be paying anyone we chose 1-1 money. I get that our draft pool size is not as big at #3 as it would be at #1, but s***, if it means we punt our 4th RD pick to make up the difference, then the hell with it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 6, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Why is everyone scared about paying Rodon for 1-1 money? If we had truly tanked even worse last year and ended up with the #1 pick, we would be paying anyone we chose 1-1 money. I get that our draft pool size is not as big at #3 as it would be at #1, but s***, if it means we punt our 4th RD pick to make up the difference, then the hell with it.

Frankly, it's not solely punting the 4th round pick. It's practically punting picks 2-10.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 6, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)

I outlined this in another place, but signing Rodon to 1-1 money means signing something like our 2nd and 6th round picks signing for slot money, and having no other signings of over $100k for entire rest of the draft board.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Id prefer Aiken or Kolek, but would be fine with Rodon at slot. Wouldn't be surprised if the Sox go for a Freeland or Nola at savings to spread money later if Rodon is what's left at 3 though.

That would be crazy, unless we could sign Hoffman AND one of those two together.

Freeland's never cracked the Top 10 before.

Nola is almost always listed at 7-11.

Where was Correia listed on most draft boards when the Astros took him 1st? (Of course, that's a different situation than taking a 10-15 guy at #3 in my opinion, unless it's someone like Stroman and you feel so strongly about him, and that other teams are underestimating a certain prospect for one reason or another AND that he's a legit Top 3-5 pick in terms of talent at least, like the argument about Trout going 25th but being 2nd on their draft board after Strasburg, even though they took Grichuk before him).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2014 -> 05:21 PM)
That would be crazy, unless we could sign Hoffman AND one of those two together.

Freeland's never cracked the Top 10 before.

Nola is almost always listed at 7-11.

It would obviously be done in order to grab someone they have a lead on that falls for monetary reasons. Hahn has even mentioned this previously when talking about the draft. Not necessarily advocating it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens. Especially if Hoffman's injury is quite serious, and there are Rodon/Boras issues. In a perfect world Aiken/Kolek are there at 3 or Rodon signs for something close to slot.

For what it's worth, Freeland has late helium and is number 9 on BA's list, 12 on Crawford's. Think Keith Law is high on him too. Also, Nola has surpassed Beede in the minds of many.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
Where was Correia listed on most draft boards when the Astros took him 1st? (Of course, that's a different situation than taking a 10-15 guy at #3 in my opinion, unless it's someone like Stroman and you feel so strongly about him, and that other teams are underestimating a certain prospect for one reason or another AND that he's a legit Top 3-5 pick in terms of talent at least, like the argument about Trout going 25th but being 2nd on their draft board after Strasburg, even though they took Grichuk before him).

Correia was ranked 6th in BA's last top 500 list that year with comparisons to Tulo and Zimmerman.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 7, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
Probably nothing to it, but I saw a mock this morning that suggests that Beede is the pick at 3 because he is the best college RHP now that Hoffman is hurt.

Mocks should be taken with huge grains of salt lest they come from one of the reputable outlets who have sources on where teams are leaning. (BA, Law, Mayo/Callis etc).

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 7, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
Mocks should be taken with huge grains of salt lest they come from one of the reputable outlets who have sources on where teams are leaning. (BA, Law, Mayo/Callis etc).

I know, that's why I started out by saying "probably nothing to it". I'm assuming that whoever put it together is just trying to get some blog hits (worked on me) and that they don't have any insider info.

I just think that all of us are searching desperately for any indication of what any of the top 3 might do.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 7, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Casey Gillaspie going to be available at 44?

The last BA top 50 from April 10 had him ranked at #30 and Kiley just ranked him #29. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go later. College 1B not such a sexy pick. Bat has to be really strong.