Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
Do they try to work a deal or just let them have him and his contract??

They can try and work something out, but if they can't, we can just let them have him.

By claiming him, they are now responsible for his salary if we are willing to let him go.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Do they try to work a deal or just let them have him and his contract??

Probably depends on who it is I'd guess. If it's just a team looking to block with the expectation he gets pulled back, may not have a choice.

I think it was Buster Olney but one of the insiders said the Orioles are claiming a ton of people.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
No, because there's a good chance the White Sox pull him back.

I'm wondering if the same thing happens as when we claimed him off Toronto. "We'll take... actually never mind just take all his money"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
I'm wondering if the same thing happens as when we claimed him off Toronto. "We'll take... actually never mind just take all his money"

Toronto was in a much worse place financially at that time than we were now. No one could ever imagine some GM being dumb enough to take Vernon Wells's deal off their hands and that deal was so crippling they let Rios walk because of it despite wanting to keep him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
They can try and work something out, but if they can't, we can just let them have him.

By claiming him, they are now responsible for his salary if we are willing to let him go.

Which can also create some leverage for us. Basically Hahn can say, "Either give us some prospects and we'll eat some money, otherwise, he and his $14M salary are all yours".

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
Which can also create some leverage for us. Basically Hahn can say, "Either give us some prospects and we'll eat some money, otherwise, he and his $14M salary are all yours".

It's also possible that he was claimed by a team who wouldn't want him, entirely as a blocking maneuver, to keep him away from Pittsburgh or Texas or someone like that. That team could be gambling based on Hahn's trade-deadline asking price for Rios that Hahn won't let him go for nothing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 11:03 AM)
It's also possible that he was claimed by a team who wouldn't want him, entirely as a blocking maneuver, to keep him away from Pittsburgh or Texas or someone like that. That team could be gambling based on Hahn's trade-deadline asking price for Rios that Hahn won't let him go for nothing.

Yep, like I said...a good game of chicken.

How long do we have to work out a deal again? And if we pull him back, we can't move him during the waiver period, correct? A guy has to clear waivers for a deal to be worked out with a team of the seller's choice, correct?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)

How long do we have to work out a deal again? And if we pull him back, we can't move him during the waiver period, correct? A guy has to clear waivers for a deal to be worked out with a team of the seller's choice, correct?

If the White Sox pull him back, the only thing they can do with him is put him on irrevocable waivers. If he were to be claimed on irrevocable waivers, he gone. If somehow he made it through waivers that time, I think he could be traded again.

That's a pretty complicated setup though...would require this to be a blocking maneuver, Hahn to pull him back, then Hahn to say "screw it" and risk losing him for nothing later in the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
If the White Sox pull him back, the only thing they can do with him is put him on irrevocable waivers. If he were to be claimed on irrevocable waivers, he gone. If somehow he made it through waivers that time, I think he could be traded again.

That's a pretty complicated setup though...would require this to be a blocking maneuver, Hahn to pull him back, then Hahn to say "screw it" and risk losing him for nothing later in the year.

I'm probably Rios' biggest defender other than his mother, and previously I was in favor of keeping him unless we got good value back in a deal, but now I am leaning towards just doing whatever we can to blow up the whole thing and start from scratch.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Really hope Rios has played his last game in a Sox uniform, and get Garcia in the lineup on Friday.

I would expect this to take longer than 24 hours to figure out. Even if Hahn is willing to let Rios go for nothing, he's at least going to attempt to get something of value for him. Like iamshack said, expect a 72 hour game of chicken.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)

If Memory serves from the time Rios was claimed it was a 72 hour negotiating window, although that might have changed or been impacted by the weekend at the time.

I would expect this to take longer than 24 hours to figure out. Even if Hahn is willing to let Rios go for nothing, he's at least going to attempt to get something of value for him. Like iamshack said, expect a 72 hour game of chicken.

72 hours is the claiming period, but I think once the claim is awarded there's only 24 hours to get a deal done.

Unless the rules changed with the last CBA it's a 72 hour clock.

The Twins claimed Harden off the waiver wire, and the Giants -- who recently signed veteran righty Brad Penny, according to SI.com -- claimed Heilman. But Chicago didn't come to an agreement with either club in the 72-hour window, so the two right-handers will stay put for the stretch run.

And here's a bleacher report summary of how this could work, if anyone needs a refresher on the waiver wire trade rules.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
72 hours is the claiming period, but I think once the claim is awarded there's only 24 hours to get a deal done.

According to the bleacher report article I just linked, 48 hours is the claiming period and 72 hours is the "Time post-claim to get a deal done" deadline.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)

Ok, by Monday then. Rios is the past. Garcia is the future. Let's get on with it.

@Ken_Rosenthal: #Rangers logical guess as claiming team for #WhiteSox’s Rios. Had interest in him in July. Cruz now suspended. Cruz, Murphy FAs end of year.

This would be nice if his guess was right. Actually can get something for Rios

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
According to the bleacher report article I just linked, 48 hours is the claiming period and 72 hours is the "Time post-claim to get a deal done" deadline.

Yeah, that sounds right. I remember having to wait 3 days to find out if we were getting Rios.