Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Robert Murray ‏@RobertMurrayMLB 16m

The #WhiteSox are asking for two top prospects and a 'lesser' player for Alex Rios, per @jaysonst. Don't be surprised to not see him traded.

I have a hard time believing we're asking for this.

And if we are, I hope Hahn comes down a ton off of his demands. That price is unreasonable, no one will pay it, and we need to get Rios and Ramirez and a couple of others off this team. WE can't go into next year with these same stiffs.

And I'd prefer to trade him v. Santiago because I think we'd get less for Santiago, but I believe Santiago has more room to improve and has a higher ceiling.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
I have a hard time believing we're asking for this.

And if we are, I hope Hahn comes down a ton off of his demands. That price is unreasonable, no one will pay it, and we need to get Rios and Ramirez and a couple of others off this team. WE can't go into next year with these same stiffs.

Isn't the objective of a trade to improve the team or at least it's prospectus? Unless you're getting back two top prospects and a utility player, I don't think you're doing that. The issue seems to be that you're misclassifying Rios and Ramirez as stiffs. That's not accurate, as they have value commensurate with their salaries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
Chris Sylvester ‏@MLBInsiderChris 3m

#WhiteSox desperatly trying to dump Alex Rios . #Rangers a possibility but the two team's talk haven't gone very far

I really think Rios is gone. Ventura doesn't want him around and if you are going to have a fresh start, you need to clear some of those high priced vets, imo. The one exception is probably Dunn/Konerko and I'd be surprised if they didn't at some point have a conversation with Paulie to see what he wants to do (and I wouldn't care if we got nothing for Paulie...its about doing what he would want).

Dunn is my x-factor to go. I really think right at the end a couple teams will make a late push for him. Not a lot of power bats out there and Dunn could add value to a team looking for offense (especially with how he's played). The key would be the Sox unloading Rios. If they unload Rios, I think its more likely they move Dunn as I think they'd be more inclined to send some cash with Dunn to ensure they got meaningful talent in return for Adam (which is key, imo...if you can't...then you might as well keep him for another year and move him at next years deadline when he isn't owed as much).

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
yep as is Alexei. was kind of hoping at least one of them would be out to add some speculation for us

With Robin as the manager? Those guys could have already been traded and he would still have them in the lineup. He doesn't know how to make a lineup without them.

2013 and 2014 will likely have the same outcome as 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. The White Sox are stuck with Alex Rios, whether the Sox and Sox fans like it or not.

What value does he have on the trade market? Sure, he isn't a defensive liability, he runs well and can steal bases, he hits for a decent average and can hit a homer every once in a while. But - he doesnt do anything exceedingly well, has a perceived lax attitude and makes a lot of money this season AND next.

There are plenty of fringy replacement-level guys that can be had. Ales Rios isnt a difference-maker and at his salary and the Sox reported trade demands, he needs to be. But, he isn't.

We're stuck with him.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)
2013 and 2014 will likely have the same outcome as 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. The White Sox are stuck with Alex Rios, whether the Sox and Sox fans like it or not.

What value does he have on the trade market? Sure, he isn't a defensive liability, he runs well and can steal bases, he hits for a decent average and can hit a homer every once in a while. But - he doesnt do anything exceedingly well, has a perceived lax attitude and makes a lot of money this season AND next.

There are plenty of fringy replacement-level guys that can be had. Ales Rios isnt a difference-maker and at his salary and the Sox reported trade demands, he needs to be. But, he isn't.

We're stuck with him.

That's what I don't get posters thinking teams would like to have him. Right now, offensively he is 13th in baseball as a RF. Average. Since June 1 he has a .665 OPS. That is what Paul Konerko has put up this year. Plus with perceived motivational issues, why would anyone pick up that contract, let alone give you anything of significance for that opportunity?

Edited by Dick Allen

I know no one here likes Rios, but why not just hold onto him and make him a qualifying offer when his contract is over? We definitely risk being stuck with him longer, but if he turns it down, we get a pick for him which will probably end up being more valuable then anything we will get in trades.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
I know no one here likes Rios, but why not just hold onto him and make him a qualifying offer when his contract is over? We definitely risk being stuck with him longer, but if he turns it down, we get a pick for him which will probably end up being more valuable then anything we will get in trades.

We're probably 2.5 years away from that point given that there's a reasonable option year in his contract.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 02:37 PM)
That's what I don't get posters thinking teams would like to have him. Right now, offensively he is 13th in baseball as a RF. Average. Since June 1 he has a .665 OPS. That is what Paul Konerko has put up this year. Plus with perceived motivational issues, why would anyone pick up that contract, let alone give you anything of significance for that opportunity?

I would be okay if we just gave him away if we can't get anything by 11:59 on Wednesday. His lollygagging has to go.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:40 PM)
Rios and Pence have very similar stats.

Pence is definitely a better addition to a clubhouse and has a nice reputation. Rios has another year on his contract. I am sure the two will make sense for different teams.

How about we trade Rios for Pence?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
How about we trade Rios for Pence?

And then release him immediately after the trade.

All joking aside, this happens to me in every trade I've ever done in The Show. I trade some MLB "face player" for "prospects" and the other team releases the face player.