Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paulie has been hitting with a little more authority since he's been back from the DL. I would imagine this is it for him, but he does have a back issue, and if that could somehow get cleared up, it wouldn't surprise me if he was pretty productive again. I think the odds are he is either done or plays for peanuts somewhere close to home. It all depends on what the issue is with his back.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
I don't remember the exact posters, but one guaranteed there were all star games in Allen's future. They were correct about Tony Pena.

Tony Pena WAR w/ White Sox: 0.7

Brandon Allen career WAR: -0.2

Win for KW :lol:

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
Paulie has been hitting with a little more authority since he's been back from the DL. I would imagine this is it for him, but he does have a back issue, and if that could somehow get cleared up, it wouldn't surprise me if he was pretty productive again. I think the odds are he is either done or plays for peanuts somewhere close to home. It all depends on what the issue is with his back.

I agree. I think Paulie goes into the off-season, gets medical advice, and then thinks about what impacted his swing. He won't make an excuse but if he thinks it was his back and it has cleared up, then I Think he still plays. Whether with the Sox or not, I don't know. I think he could be interested in playing and mentoring a younger team, but that is assuming the Sox add a vet or two to fill some holes they can't fill internally so they can at least give it the ole college try. And with this rotation, I don't know why the White Sox wouldn't at least try that.

Wilkins will get his shot and I wouldn't look at the retreads they have signed down in AAA to be an indication they hate Wilkins. Wilkins was down in AA and part of the objective is to field some competitive minor league teams. Those are organizational moves.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
I agree. I think Paulie goes into the off-season, gets medical advice, and then thinks about what impacted his swing. He won't make an excuse but if he thinks it was his back and it has cleared up, then I Think he still plays. Whether with the Sox or not, I don't know. I think he could be interested in playing and mentoring a younger team, but that is assuming the Sox add a vet or two to fill some holes they can't fill internally so they can at least give it the ole college try. And with this rotation, I don't know why the White Sox wouldn't at least try that.

Wilkins will get his shot and I wouldn't look at the retreads they have signed down in AAA to be an indication they hate Wilkins. Wilkins was down in AA and part of the objective is to field some competitive minor league teams. Those are organizational moves.

I really hope Paulie doesn't get into the position of convincing himself his back is fine and then having it go out in May of next year and wind up with another sad season, this time in another team's uniform.

Take the 3 days of constant standing ovations at the end of the season, tip your hat and call it a career big guy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)

You don't block guys that you want to contribute with career 4A type of players.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)

I think Konerko will be back with his longtime friend Jim Thome being the batting coach Konerko will have a rejuvination of sorts.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
I think Konerko will be back with his longtime friend Jim Thome being the batting coach Konerko will have a rejuvination of sorts.

No. Konerko is done. I hope he knows it. The Sox cannot give him another contract. I can't believe the people here that actually want him back. It's over people. Just stop hanging on. This thread is crazy to me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
No. Konerko is done. I hope he knows it. The Sox cannot give him another contract. I can't believe the people here that actually want him back. It's over people. Just stop hanging on. This thread is crazy to me.

Why? We all want Rios gone ;)

Had a buddy text this to me today. Probably was on during the game or on twitter or something:

"Alex Rios is 1 of 17 players in history to have 500 extra-base hits and 200 steals in his first 10 seasons....and he sucks."

I always like funny stats like that. Whether they are manipulated and spun in a positive light, or just random positive things that people find. In Rios case, I think this stat just kind of sums of the talent he has and how we all feel there is much more which goes to waste.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)

Any thread that presents Andy Wilkins as a starting option for 2014 is crazy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

Is 2014 a rebuilding year? If it is then that's not crazy. If we're making even a remote effort to compete then you're right.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
Is 2014 a rebuilding year? If it is then that's not crazy. If we're making even a remote effort to compete then you're right.

Andy Wilkins is not a part of any rebuilding plan unless you are planning on being the Astros and intentionally tanking a period of years for draft picks and low payrolls.

[/quote

I think it's crazy to think that the White Sox will compete next year. That is why I think Wilkins will at least get a shot. If you aren't giving him a shot to play 1B for the Sox then why is he in the organization at this point? I don't think wanting to see a decent prospect get a shot over PK dragging his ass around is that crazy of a thought.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)

I think it's crazy to think that the White Sox will compete next year. That is why I think Wilkins will at least get a shot. If you aren't giving him a shot to play 1B for the Sox then why is he in the organization at this point? I don't think wanting to see a decent prospect get a shot over PK dragging his ass around is that crazy of a thought.

That's where you and I differ. In no way is he a "decent prospect". He is a fringe prospect at best. If the Sox had a decent prospect for 1B, I would feel differently about it.

I think it will be a transitional year, but I don't think it's to the point where they will want to give Andy Wilkins a shot at significant playing time at 1B. I think he could certainly get a call up and play quite a bit, but as a starter? I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think they are talking about moving Viciedo to 1B to get guys like Garcia, Jacobs, Thompson, and any other young outfielders they have up and playing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
I think it will be a transitional year, but I don't think it's to the point where they will want to give Andy Wilkins a shot at significant playing time at 1B. I think he could certainly get a call up and play quite a bit, but as a starter? I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think they are talking about moving Viciedo to 1B to get guys like Garcia, Jacobs, Thompson, and any other young outfielders they have up and playing.

I suspect the Sox will go after cheap veterans to fill holes that don't have top prospects to fill them. They will then monitor the fringe guys like Wilkins and hope to get some value for the value guys (such as what the Cubs did with Feldman).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)

That's where you and I differ. In no way is he a "decent prospect". He is a fringe prospect at best. If the Sox had a decent prospect for 1B, I would feel differently about it.

Okay fair enough. I think Wilkins is probably a bench bat in the end as well. My whole point was that I'd rather have him play 1B than PK at this point.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
I suspect the Sox will go after cheap veterans to fill holes that don't have top prospects to fill them. They will then monitor the fringe guys like Wilkins and hope to get some value for the value guys (such as what the Cubs did with Feldman).

I have no problem with that, so long as they actually make those deals. Really, there's absolutely no reason that Lindstrom is on the team right now. Not even being able to find an organizational guy that they might be able to do something with is a bit of a failure in my mind.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)

Now that makes WAY more sense to me.

I also feel like the White Sox feel they could make a move involving a starting pitcher for some real offensive players in the off-season. I think the Sox will work really hard to try to find a middle of the order 3B or SS for one of their starting P's.

If they can get a guy or two to plug into the line up, the may feel they can compete at some level next year, especially if some of the younger players can show signs of life going into next year. If Beckham continues to hit, Phegley gets past the growing pains, Garcia seems like a real starter, and Viciedo keeps hitting like he has the last month, the offense has a whole lot better chance of pushing this team forward. We have a great potential rotation, and guys knocking on the door for the bullpen, plus the obligatory reclamation projects for pitching. This is a 90 win pitching staff. They just need to find an 80 offense and defense to go with it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
I have no problem with that, so long as they actually make those deals. Really, there's absolutely no reason that Lindstrom is on the team right now. Not even being able to find an organizational guy that they might be able to do something with is a bit of a failure in my mind.

The option for next year is the only reason why. He is still very tradable.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
The option for next year is the only reason why. He is still very tradable.

I'm going to be surprised and probably a little disappointed if that option is picked up. That's a whole lot of money for him.