Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:00 PM)
Does that mean L Garcia has to stay with the Rangers org until October?

Yes sir! Texas gets cake and eat it too. I cannot remember a situation like that before involving the Sox.

Edited by Soxfest

The White Sox will recall Avisail Garcia from Triple-A Charlotte prior to the second game of Friday's doubleheader.

Garcia will take over as the team's everyday right fielder following the trade of Alex Rios. The 22-year-old has batted a robust .379/.431/.561 with seven homers, 36 RBI and six steals over 216 plate appearances in the minors this season. He has plate discipline issues, but Garcia's upside makes him worth a shot in deeper mixed formats.

Per Rotoworld

And away we go!

Yes sir! Texas gets cake and eat it too. I cannot remember a situation like that before involving the Sox.

It's a pretty common practice, but new to the Sox since this is the first time in a long time they have been trading established players for prospects mid-season.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)

Oh really? You mean Zach Stewart and Brent Lillibridge for Kevin Youkilis didn't do it for you? Or how about Pedro Hernandez and Eduardo Escobar for Francisco Liriano? Or Matt Heidenreich and Blair Walters for Brett Myers?

Anyways, if they haven't already, I'm sure the Rangers will try and pass Garcia through waivers. If Houston claims, it's not a big deal. Kind of bush league, but not a big deal. As I noted earlier, that's literally the only team that can block this trade from taking place prior to August.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Oh really? You mean Zach Stewart and Brent Lillibridge for Kevin Youkilis didn't do it for you? Or how about Pedro Hernandez and Eduardo Escobar for Francisco Liriano? Or Matt Heidenreich and Blair Walters for Brett Myers?

Texas keeps Garcia till October all the players you mentioned went to the respected teams the day of the trade. Your point here makes no sense at all.

Edited by Soxfest

Leury Garcia (SS)

Age PA H 2B HR BB SO SB AVG OBP SLG wOBA

21 416 110 12 2 22 79 31 .292 .337 .398 .329

Yet another up-the-middle talent, Garcia’s ceiling is a little below that of his fellow prospects found higher on this list. With that said, a strong showing from 2012 could help him make a legitimate push for a 25-man roster spot in 2013. Although he’s too aggressive for his own good — just 22 walks in 100 games — and has below-average power potential, Garcia hit .292 at Double-A in 2012 as a 21-year-old.

He then got the rare opportunity as a prospect to play regularly in the veteran-laden Dominican Winter League and showed the ability to handle both shortstop and center field. A contact I spoke with said Garcia could potential give big league manager Ron Washington a lot of options. “He’s taken a big jump in winter ball….,” the source told me. “There aren’t a lot of guys that can play both shortstop and center field. He had a tremendous offseason.”

With Elvis Andrus and Jurickson Profar ahead of him, Garcia has moved around the field a bit and can also play second base and third base. The contact I spoke with called him a legitimate shortstop who has the ability to play regularly with plus speed at the big league level. The feeling is he’s underrated because the organization has been aggressive with his development. “He’s always played a level above where, perhaps, he should have.” If Garcia doesn’t break camp with the Rangers, he should head to Triple-A where he’ll continue to polish his defensive repertoire while also learning to become more patient at the plate.

This is from Fangraphs from Feb 2013 Rated #15 Rangers prospect at that time. Olt was #2 Leonys Martin #4 . The guy I was hoping for ,Sardinas ,was #5 .http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/texas-rangers-top-15-prospects-2012-13/

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (bulokis @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Is Leury Garcia comparable to Jose Iglesia whom the Tigers from Red sox.

Maybe. They both were moved upwards aggressively and made AAA and the big leagues at a young age, but Iglesias spent longer at AAA and also has had some success in MLB which does at least count for a little. Iglesias is 23 and Garcia is 22, so Garcia could be on a very similar path.

Garcia so far strikes out more, maybe walks slightly less but that's close. Garcia definitely seems to be a much greater stolen base threat. Both of them hit 4 HR in limited AAA at bats this year, Garcia seems to get a ton more extra base hits (23 for him last year, 10 for Iglesias) so that's a cap in his feather as well.

Iglesias's reputation is as a fielder though, that's hard to judge from stats. Otherwise, that's a really intriguing comparison because Garcia's numbers outdo Iglesias's on a lot of categories.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
I think you just ruined everyone's day (besides Greg)

Why? As you said earlier, once people accept that the team won't be that great next year, this will be easier. People seem to expect it'll be Kenny Williams again and we'll be reloading the offense.

I expect them to use some money to bring in some upgrades but nothing major. Perhaps, similar to the Cubs and signing guys to one year deals in the hopes of flipping them.

I could care less whether Texas kept Garcia until April of next year so long as he's in the White Sox system by Opening Day of next year.

Especially since he's a middle infielder and that's the one spot a prospect isn't likely to get much playing time with the Sox this year anyway.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
BP really liked this guy as a SS coming into this season. Said he has easy range a plus plus arm and is not short on premium tools. Said he lacks pop but scouts think he could hold his own enough to be an everyday SS.

The more I look at this guy the more I like this return. It's not the #1 prospect in baseball but this kid is a legit piece that adds a lot of ability to the IF going forward.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Exactly, so unless some international players over 23 (I believe that's the date) are going to become available, the amount Hahn can spend is limited.

Maybe they are going to reinvest money into adding more scouts? Or one of these academies I hear other teams have? I know that's not 60 million dollars but, I think they can spend the money without people seeing it outwardly.