WELCOME BACK, JIM THOME!

Steve9347

Jim Thome has been hired by the White Sox to serve as a special assistant to the general manager.

Which presumably means that his playing career is over. Thome was telling people as recently as May that he wanted to sign with a major league team, but nothing ever came about. The 42-year-old played for the White Sox for four years (2006-2009) and was beloved.

What's hilarious, is he can probably hit better than the DH we have making $15 million (leave it be, Wite).

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
Jim Thome has been hired by the White Sox to serve as a special assistant to the general manager.

Which presumably means that his playing career is over. Thome was telling people as recently as May that he wanted to sign with a major league team, but nothing ever came about. The 42-year-old played for the White Sox for four years (2006-2009) and was beloved.

What's hilarious, is he can probably hit better than the DH we have making $15 million (leave it be, Wite).

Leave what be? I'm pretty sure Thome could hit better than Dunn right now.

By Steve Adams [July 2 at 2:58pm CST]

The White Sox have announced that Jim Thome has joined the team's front office as a special assistant to general manager Rick Hahn. Thome will consult with Hahn and assistant GM Buddy Bell, work with the club's Major League staff and players, and also travel to the team's minor league affiliates to evaluate player performance.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)

Beat ya by 12 minutes in the game thread ;)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
When I saw this, I thought they really did sign him again, because s*** why not?

I was really hoping they kinda did sign Thome, but I figured the announcement was he was coming back as an "ambassador" or something.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)

Welcome back JT!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
June 2011: Robin Ventura named special assistant to Buddy Bell

October 2011: Robin Ventura upgraded to manager

July 2, 2013, Jim Thome named special Assistant to Rick Hahn

?

I'd love for Jim to be our manager.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
I'd love for Jim to be our manager.

God no! As much as I respect Thome.. he needs coaching experience first. The White Sox need to hire someone from the outside to manage this team as well. Someone with experience. No more Baines, Ventura, Guillen, Raines, Cora, Walker etc.. The Bulls did it right by hiring Thibs (an outsider with plenty of coaching experience). At least with Guillen, he collected coaching experience in Florida before the Sox hired him. Regardless, the next manager hire needs to be an outsider.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 2, 2013 -> 04:31 PM)
God no! As much as I respect Thome.. he needs coaching experience first. The White Sox need to hire someone from the outside to manage this team as well. Someone with experience. No more Baines, Ventura, Guillen, Raines, Cora, Walker etc.. The Bulls did it right by hiring Thibs (an outsider with plenty of coaching experience). At least with Guillen, he collected coaching experience in Florida before the Sox hired him. Regardless, the next manager hire needs to be an outsider.

Mark Parent should be the interim manager after the all-star break. Won't happen, but he should.