Trade Deadline 2013

hi8is

Trade Deadline 2013  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick folks...

• Trades, trades, trades, and more trades.
    • One major move and 1-2 smaller deals
    • One major move
    • We're buyers all of a sudden... b!tches
    • Trades? Hanh keeps everyone and laughs evil style
    • Trades!!! For me to poop on!!!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't know if we could do that well with Pittsburgh/Rios but I like the ideas anyways. Wouldn't Pederson stay in CF with De Aza moving to LF though?

Outfield: De Aza-Pederson-Viciedo/FA

Infield: Cecchini-Alexei-Beckham-Dunn/FA

Rotation: Sale, Quintana, Danks, Santiago, Johnson

We would need to pick up a couple relievers and maybe a 1B/DH/RF bat but I would love the potential moving forward. Probably to good to be true.

I think Pederson is a year away from being major league ready though and Cecchini definitely is. If you can make those deals, I think your lineup is:

2014:

1B Viciedo

2B Beckham

SS Ramirez

3B Gillespie/Morel

LF De Aza

CF Danks

RF Hart

DH Dunn

2015:

1B Wilkins/Viciedo

2B Beckham

SS Ramirez

3B Cecchini

LF De Aza

CF Pederson

RF Thompson

DH Viciedo/FA

I can't believe the Sox haven't made any moves besides Thornton. You think the money issue is a holdup? If I were Jerry I wouldn't want to pay teams money for taking Rios/Dunn/Peavy/Lexi off our hands. It's bad business just to give away money with players.

Hahn is really going to get blasted if he doesn't make some good trades.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
I can't believe the Sox haven't made any moves besides Thornton. You think the money issue is a holdup? If I were Jerry I wouldn't want to pay teams money for taking Rios/Dunn/Peavy/Lexi off our hands. It's bad business just to give away money with players.

I agree that Hahn will get blasted if he doesn't make GOOD trades, but if the right offer just isn't there then there is no reason to trade him especially with Peavy. I want Rios gone.

Like Bucket said earlier, the Sox aren't run by Kenny anymore, Hahn is being much more patient and letting the market play itself out so that he could get the best deal available for this ball club.

Yeah I don't think we know what the deal is until July 31. Maybe he's shrewdly holding out for the best deal, maybe he's overplaying his hand and is going to get burnt. Maybe he doesn't feel the urgency to move anyone. Maybe he got lowballed so hard that it just wasn't worth it.

All we can do is wait and see.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:45 PM)
Yeah I don't think we know what the deal is until July 31. Maybe he's shrewdly holding out for the best deal, maybe he's overplaying his hand and is going to get burnt. Maybe he doesn't feel the urgency to move anyone. Maybe he got lowballed so hard that it just wasn't worth it.

All we can do is wait and see.

If nothing else, the Thornton deal ought to have confirmed that he'll move rapidly when he gets a good offer.

You have already spent the money, so if you can save some of the money you committed and improve the long term viability of the franchise, it is good business. Its bad business to hold on to assets when they have surpassed their usefulness.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
You have already spent the money, so if you can save some of the money you committed and improve the long term viability of the franchise, it is good business. Its bad business to hold on to assets when they have surpassed their usefulness.

The issue with these guys is...none of them have surpassed their usefulness. If the Sox spent $25 million next offseason on free agents, kept that whole list of players around, and found some way to remind their players how to catch the ball and do a rundown, they could possibly field a competitive team next year and do so with a lower salary than this season. So...it's up to other teams to give the Sox a good enough reason to decide right now...not to.

I can't believe the Sox haven't made any moves besides Thornton. You think the money issue is a holdup?

If you like the Sox, you should want them to get the most possible. That means making contenders sweat and get pushy. The Sox have nothing to lose by waiting, if there are multiple offers.

You could get beat out by someone else, but i fail to see what better pitcher is out there than Peavy. If you have what people want, you make others work to please you. Sounds good to me.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
The more days go on, the less confident I feel. I don't think they move Peavy, Rios, or anyone.

I won't be shocked if Rios doesn't move, especially if the reports of the Pirates not being impressed with him are true. But the market for starting pitching is simply too compelling -- I'd put money on Peavy being gone.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 05:06 PM)
I won't be shocked if Rios doesn't move, especially if the reports of the Pirates not being impressed with him are true. But the market for starting pitching is simply too compelling -- I'd put money on Peavy being gone.

And I keep thinking...the Sox have at least 5 starting pitchers other than Peavy who could be likely rotation guys next year even without any free agent signings. The only issue with that list is all the lefties, but a rotation of Sale, Danks, Q, Santiago, and Johnson could easily be competitive next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
And I keep thinking...the Sox have at least 5 starting pitchers other than Peavy who could be likely rotation guys next year even without any free agent signings. The only issue with that list is all the lefties, but a rotation of Sale, Danks, Q, Santiago, and Johnson could easily be competitive next year.

Certainly. If he doesn't move by the deadline, I bet he'll be on the block all winter. Given where the Sox are right now, they can just sign a veteran reclamation project as insurance for Johnson/Santiago and go into 2014 as a developmental year that -- if they get some offensive talent back in trades -- could turn into a surprising run if all of the young kids take a step forward.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm starting to think my ideal deadline would look something like this:

-Peavy and cash to the Red Sox for Cecchini

-Rios and cash to the Pirates for Dickerson and Kingham

-Reed and Lindstrom to LA for Joc Pederson

With that plan, you are keeping your defense up the middle in Alexei, Gordon, and De Aza and then in 2014, you are giving Cecchini a chance at winning the 3B job, Pederson either LF or RF, Dickerson the 1B job, and Kingham could break the rotation in 2015.

I too would like both Pederson and Cecchini. That would be a nice deal for Rios. The sox should be able to get two more decent prospects for Peavy as well as Cecchini. Maybe an OFer, and a SP.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 05:12 PM)
Certainly. If he doesn't move by the deadline, I bet he'll be on the block all winter. Given where the Sox are right now, they can just sign a veteran reclamation project as insurance for Johnson/Santiago and go into 2014 as a developmental year that -- if they get some offensive talent back in trades -- could turn into a surprising run if all of the young kids take a step forward.

(Just to note...that reclamation project could easily be "Gavin Floyd". He's shown every sign he likes it in Chicago, he might well be able to give a few innings in the 2nd half or late in the season next year, and he won't be in anyone's way to start the year).

I also think they have some insurance for Johnson and Santiago already developing in the form of Rienzo, Snodgress, and maybe Axelrod if they can get him confortable in the swingman role.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
(Just to note...that reclamation project could easily be "Gavin Floyd". He's shown every sign he likes it in Chicago, he might well be able to give a few innings in the 2nd half or late in the season next year, and he won't be in anyone's way to start the year).

I also think they have some insurance for Johnson and Santiago already developing in the form of Rienzo, Snodgress, and maybe Axelrod if they can get him confortable in the swingman role.

lol I completely forgot Gavin Floyd was still a person.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)

While it'd be foolish to count on anything at all from him, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him turn back up in our organization after his arm gets replaced.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
The fake Twitter accounts are out in full force already.

I've seen Rios and Peavy traded a couple times already.

Wednesday at 3 can't come soon enough.

Yeah I've seen that as well. Seen a fake Rosenthal twitter giving off information.