8/2 Games

flavum

Avisail swung his way into an 0-2 count, took two balls to get to 2-2. He then takes a backdoor slider from the LHP that looked like a strike but was not called. May have been outside. Fouled off two borderline pitches on 3-2 before ripping a single through the left side on a low strike.

Sanchez was running on the play and used his speed to take third, from first on the single to left.

Edited by Jake

Sammy Ayala isn't striking out nearly as much any more, but he can't seem to have any luck with balls falling. I've noticed a great increase in playing time as well. Today he played in both games of the double-header. Does this indicate anything moving forward?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
How has Carlos Sanchez looked in his AB's

Hits everything hard, but also not in a way that makes it look like he could get XBH. Hard liners but nothing with the kind of loft that makes you think it would leave the yard or split a gap.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
If a team wanted to pick up Alexei off waivers, and the Sox got nothing back, I'd be happy with that. Get this kid up and bring some new energy.

Was thinking that too, but they have to be careful not to infuse too much energy because they are in a fight for the top pick. I think they bring up Semien, Garcia, and Wilkins when they shutdown Sale and Quintana. Last two weeks of September.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
At the deadline, you have a very narrow market of suitors for most position players. The market is even narrower for guys making any money at mid-season.

You have to hold on to these guys into the offseason at the least, where there are many more teams that feel they are about to compete and many more teams that are able to take on salary.

Personally, I think there ought to be some sense of urgency to move Rios in the offseason, though again I'm not going to get nothing for him. With Alexei, since you more or less have an opening at third, I'd prefer to give Semien a trial at third. This gives you a chance to evaluate his bat at the big league level before you part ways with Alexei who is going to be difficult to replace if Semien cannot do it.

I'd rather play next year without a SS and $20M than keep Ramirez. Are you trying to make a case that they can contend next year if they keep him? I don't understand your argument.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
I'd rather play next year without a SS and $20M than keep Ramirez. Are you trying to make a case that they can contend next year if they keep him? I don't understand your argument.

I'm ok with keeping Alexei next year but I like the idea of the sox letting their '15 core take their major league lumps. I think in the offseason more teams will be open to the idea of Rios and Ramirez, because as it stands now the top FA's available is quite disheartening outside of Cano, Ellsbury and McCann. Choo looks like a platoon partner, with his split of .176/.323/.198.

The mets strike me as suitors for one or both of them and they have a decent looking prospect in Wilmer Flores that isn't going to move murphy or wright off their respective positions, he is incredibly young at 21 soon to be 22 in 4 days.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
I'm ok with keeping Alexei next year but I like the idea of the sox letting their '15 core take their major league lumps. I think in the offseason more teams will be open to the idea of Rios and Ramirez, because as it stands now the top FA's available is quite disheartening outside of Cano, Ellsbury and McCann. Choo looks like a platoon partner, with his split of .176/.323/.198.

The mets strike me as suitors for one or both of them and they have a decent looking prospect in Wilmer Flores that isn't going to move murphy or wright off their respective positions, he is incredibly young at 21 soon to be 22 in 4 days.

I find it hard to believe that if Peavy's contract was was seen as a negative that the Sox will be able to get anything of value for Ramirez or their other 3 big contracts.

Marty, you have to take into consideration how the trade market is different in the middle of a season. Most teams that anticipate contending will more or less be maxed out in terms of payroll when they begin a season. It will be very difficult for them to add a $10-15 million player with such little notice.

In the offseason, many more teams have flexibility to add players that are making some money. Hence, free agency. People spend money there. Our players (Alexei and Rios) will cost less in dollars than comparable free agents. When teams are turned off by free agents, lack the money to sign them, or can't find the right one (there will be no FA shortstops of Alexei's caliber)...they can turn to the White Sox. We can kick in a little if need be to increase the savings and they will pay up in talent to make it worth our while. The right trade partner will be somebody like has been already mentioned, a promising young guy who is clearly blocked in the short term.

Except the teams (like the Cubs, Dodgers, Blue Jays) are already spending as if they have that $25 million in their bank accounts...

That leaves a bunch of other teams that are being more conservative.

Jake might be right, after the season's over, the market for Ramirez and Rios could heat up again...but I have a feeling they were asking for either cash back (like the Pirates) or weren't willing to give up prospects in areas of need (corner infield, possibly catcher, possibly SS, CF, bullpen arms).

And that Hahn's smart enough not to go after bullpen arms (although Montas will figure in there quickly) when they need to prioritize RHSP, SS, CF and the corner infield spots.

Basically, any type of impact bats...not even the Cardinals are in a position where they WANT to both absorb veteran contracts and part with youngsters like Martinez and Taveras. (Surely, they wouldn't have held on to Wong if that was the ONLY piece Hahn was asking for...)

Meanwhile, we continue to look for places for John Danks (knowing there's a 95% he's back with us), Dunn and possibly Lindstrom, as well as making decisions on DeAza, Gillaspie, catching position, Lindstrom, Rienzo, Simon Castro, Webb, Santos Rodriguez, etc.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)

Just don't rush the core.

Many start developing bad habits to compensate when they aren't ready for ML pitching.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
This is why some baseball people really like him. He hasn't hit for much power in the Majors yet, but he clearly has the capability.

Yup no doubt. And I'm not trying to fuel that Cabrera comparisons because those are ridiculous but his batting stance is very similar to Miggy's.