Ozzie

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Hahahahahahaha, you think the Map Room is a yuppie hangout. That's cute.

Danny's now reminds me of Logan Square. Basically it hasn't changed.

Map Room is a serious yuppie hangout. Or at least it was until I moved out of Bucktown a couple or three years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

By the way, there is a semi-fun Sox bar in Bucktown called Lemming's.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Map Room is a serious yuppie hangout. Or at least it was until I moved out of Bucktown a couple or three years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

By the way, there is a semi-fun Sox bar in Bucktown called Lemming's.

Hopleaf all the way, Andersonville! Though damn it gets crowded on weekends.

I am convinced, without any hard evidence, that

Ozzie has drinking, thinking, and parenting problems.

He could have been the most popular baseball person in the history of Chicago, yet he pissed it away.

He wasn't as bad as we think, and not nearly as good as some think.

He got too much credit for 2005 and too much blame for, well everything on the field after that.

He has a drinking problem. Did I mention that before?

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 07:18 PM)
I am convinced, without any hard evidence, that

Ozzie has drinking, thinking, and parenting problems.

He could have been the most popular baseball person in the history of Chicago, yet he pissed it away.

He wasn't as bad as we think, and not nearly as good as some think.

He got too much credit for 2005 and too much blame for, well everything on the field after that.

He has a drinking problem. Did I mention that before?

I bet he doesn't drink as much now that he's unemployed. Obviously I have no proof. I wonder if I'm the biggest Ozzie fan on the planet. That's food for thought. I could be No. 1 Ozzie backer, though I'm sure there are others running around the South Side.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
The Ozzie Guillen Image Rehab tour rolls on.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 42m

Ozzie Guillen to appear on @SportsTalkCHI live tonight at 5:30 (CST).

The guy clearly made some mistakes his last season with the White Sox. To err is human. I'm prepared to let it slide. I hope he starts showing up at Soxfest and other events. Might as well do it now rather than in 2 years when the whole 10 year reunion stuff gets started.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
I bet he doesn't drink as much now that he's unemployed. Obviously I have no proof. I wonder if I'm the biggest Ozzie fan on the planet. That's food for thought. I could be No. 1 Ozzie backer, though I'm sure there are others running around the South Side.

Are you Oney Guillen? If not, you can't be his #1 fan or backer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)

Unless you're my brother, you're not. He's my brother's childhood idol and they have almost the exact same personality.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
^this...and most boards would classify that as trolling

I hope nobody thinks I'm trolling. I've said before I don't even know what trolling means. If you want me to change my posting style, let me know, but I hope you all trust what I print is what I mean even if it seems warped to you.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 12:15 AM)
Unless you're my brother, you're not. He's my brother's childhood idol and they have almost the exact same personality.

That's neat your brother also loves Ozzie. Does he swear as much as Oz? I just can't see another team ever hiring Ozzie as manager because of the P.R. hit the team would take. In this day and age you can't hire a guy who can be googled like Ozzie can be googled (comments on Castro, gays, drinking a six pack after every game, etc). Only Jerry can rescue him as Jerry is his father figure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
That's neat your brother also loves Ozzie. Does he swear as much as Oz? I just can't see another team ever hiring Ozzie as manager because of the P.R. hit the team would take. In this day and age you can't hire a guy who can be googled like Ozzie can be googled (comments on Castro, gays, drinking a six pack after every game, etc). Only Jerry can rescue him as Jerry is his father figure.

Yes, and this is probably why I find Ozzie irritating at times but can feel for him as well.

But trust me, having a Ozzie like personality around DRAINS you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
Ozzie does seem humbled to me. I don't know if anyone would ever hire him again, but I think he would be about baseball and not about Ozzie for at least a little while now.

probably just an act so he can get back into baseball. not sure anybody would hire him again. everybody saw how absolutely dreadful he was with the later sox clubs and that highly paid marlins club. he is just too damn stubborn of a manager. he refuses to acknowledge new age stats and ways of managing. i can't forgive him for giving up thome for mark freaking kotsay. thome was still productive as hell the next season. just no excuse for that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
Ozzie does seem humbled to me. I don't know if anyone would ever hire him again, but I think he would be about baseball and not about Ozzie for at least a little while now.

lol. If Ozzie was humbled, he wouldn't be doing the media rounds about the time teams are deciding whether to fire their managers or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 10:15 PM)
lol. If Ozzie was humbled, he wouldn't be doing the media rounds about the time teams are deciding whether to fire their managers or not.

He's actually promoting a charity softball game. He said he misses managing, but I do think he likes getting paid to do nothing. During the interview, it was very apparent he regretted not appreciating what he had with the White Sox. I no Ozzie apologist, but this was a different guy than the Ozzie since 2005 that was speaking.

With Ozzie I am more inclined to believe a change is legit. I can't see him pulling off an insincere change like that.

Still if I was a GM, and interested in Ozzie, I wouldn't give him the keys to the MLB club first. Bench coach, AA, etc would be my try. That would be a test of being humble.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
With Ozzie I am more inclined to believe a change is legit. I can't see him pulling off an insincere change like that.

Still if I was a GM, and interested in Ozzie, I wouldn't give him the keys to the MLB club first. Bench coach, AA, etc would be my try. That would be a test of being humble.

BS. The guy is going to be 50 in January. Do people really believe that he has finally been humbled at this age, after not being humbled after all of the other controversies that the guy has been through over the years? He learned now as opposed to when he said the players didn't owe the fans anythign during the 94 strike? Or when he ripped the White Sox after his release as a player? After his Cuba comments? After his "f**" comments? After the Oney stuff?

NOW, he gets it? Please. Put the heatlamp back on the guy, and he'll meltdown just like he always has.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
Bernstein currently speculating that this could be a Billy Martin situation one day. Not that I want to ruin a perfectly nice day for any of you...

Pure speculation,of course, is what it sounds like

If Robin quits and KW leaves .... I can dream. Ozzie Time Part Deuce.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
Serious question here... What general manager is going to stake a large part of his job security on the stability of Ozzie Guillen?

None.

It would take an order from Jerry to bring him back. Ozzie is pretty much unhireable cause of Castro and the other comments.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
None.

It would take an order from Jerry to bring him back. Ozzie is pretty much unhireable cause of Castro and the other comments.

and because he is a lousy manager. i have a question for you greg. do you defend ozzie's choice of getting rid of thome for mark kotsay?