39 members have voted

1. 1. Draft or Free Agency

• Rebuild
    • Retool

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People actually suggesting signing Grady Sizemore and playing over De Aza or Viciedo is just a horrendous idea. I don't know where to even begin of how much I hate that Idea I'm sorry.

Guys, we cannot give up on Viciedo just yet. He will be JUST 24 next season. Hitters take more time than pitchers obviously so I still think we have to give him at least 2-3 more years. And I wouldn't mind that if it was DHing and playing LF.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
I still see Viciedo as a potential 275/35/100 guy with an OBP around 330. In this era, that's a real valuable player. He did hit 25 homers as a 23 year old in his first full season. He's the type of player you try to acquire in a rebuild and we already have him.

Nelson Cruz was 27 when he finally saw the switch. That is the thing with hitters - it's almost more rare that you see a gradual increase, but instead you just see the flip switch on.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
I still see Viciedo as a potential 275/35/100 guy with an OBP around 330. In this era, that's a real valuable player. He did hit 25 homers as a 23 year old in his first full season. He's the type of player you try to acquire in a rebuild and we already have him.

Thank you. This is exactly what I think. This is what we're expecting out of Avi Garcia, just not that much in the power categories. Kids like Viciedo, you don't just give up on kids this young with this much potential.

Everyone saw by trading Chris Davis and Tommy Hinter for 1 year of Uehera bit the Rangers in the butt big time. Hitters can figure it out later in their career at 27-29. Viciedo will be 24. Everyone of his doubters needs to relax

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 05:56 PM)
Nelson Cruz was 27 when he finally saw the switch. That is the thing with hitters - it's almost more rare that you see a gradual increase, but instead you just see the flip switch on.

I completely agree with you. Glad you have some sense rather than giving up on him

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
Can you chase a slider out of the zone with reckless abandon?

I'll make Juan Uribe look like Frank Thomas with my discipline. Not only do I swing at low and away sliders, I also chase 53 foot curveballs, I'm way ahead of changeups, way behind fastballs, and will roll over every sinker thrown to me.

I do hit underhand pitches very well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
I'll make Juan Uribe look like Frank Thomas with my discipline. Not only do I swing at low and away sliders, I also chase 53 foot curveballs, I'm way ahead of changeups, way behind fastballs, and will roll over every sinker thrown to me.

Interested.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)

Hello, Vladimir

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
Thank you. This is exactly what I think. This is what we're expecting out of Avi Garcia, just not that much in the power categories. Kids like Viciedo, you don't just give up on kids this young with this much potential.

Everyone saw by trading Chris Davis and Tommy Hinter for 1 year of Uehera bit the Rangers in the butt big time. Hitters can figure it out later in their career at 27-29. Viciedo will be 24. Everyone of his doubters needs to relax

As far as Viciedo, give him one more year with the new hitting coach. But you can wait on a guy too long, like Beckham. He's an average baseball player and Sox have given him every opportunity.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 01:15 AM)
As far as Viciedo, give him one more year with the new hitting coach. But you can wait on a guy too long, like Beckham. He's an average baseball player and Sox have given him every opportunity.

I think when a guy explodes onto the scene like Gordon did that garners him some extra time to get back to what he's capable of....Sadly for Gordon he just never really got there....I can see a line of thinking where he actually gets another year. He looked like old Gordon before he got bit by the injury bug so it's plausible to think he might get back to that point after a whole offseason for that wrist to heal all the way.

I'm not sure if I'm behind this line of thinking, esp with Semien potentially ready to step up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2013 -> 06:56 PM)

To be fair...you shouldn't cite guys whose switch came in the shape of a needle.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2013 -> 08:10 AM)
To be fair...you shouldn't cite guys whose switch came in the shape of a needle.

I think you are absolutely correct. But one thing that really makes me wonder PED-wise, except for Clemens, pitchers have totally gotten a pass as users, and I am sure their percentage of cheaters is just as high as hitters. Andy Petite admitted he cheated, but he isn't vilified like a hitter of his status doing the same thing. So while juiced up hitters where allegedly padding their stats juicing, they were doing it against guys who also were using the same stuff. Pitchers having abnormal jumps in performance aren't nearly as scrutinized as hitters.

Edited by Dick Allen