Cubs to inquire on Sale?

chisoxfan09

Link: http://www.chicagonow.com/loxas-factor/201...-in-chris-sale/

Loxas says Cubs might trade away Samardzija and then pursue Sale. Like he says file this in the "Not going to Happen" bucket. But never say never. Not much going on so this was as good as any rumor out there.

The Cubs are looking for pitching.

That is why it may still surprise most that Jeff Samardzija will be made available this winter. The factor to consider here is the Cubs want young, controlled pitching. Samardzija is still under the Cubs control for a couple more years. Yet, the Cubs want to lock their younger talent up even longer a la Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo.

I told you back at the July trading deadline the Cubs were taking calls on their de facto ace. The price was sky high at the time. The Cubs still wanted to work on securing “Shark” in a long-term deal.

The two sides apparently have gotten further apart, and I hear the Samardzija trade market is heating up already. The Blue Jays, Royals, DBacks, Pirates, and Nationals have all expressed their interest. One possibility could have the Cubs packaging a prospect with Shark to get another team’s coveted young pitcher. Think of an Archie Bradley type from Arizona as a possibility.

Speaking of young, controlled pitching, I’m told the Cubs plan on placing a call across town to Rick Hahn. They want to see if the White Sox are entertaining any thoughts of dealing Chris Sale. I would file this in the never going to happen drawer but, you cant blame them for making the call.

The Sox want to build around their young pitching. They would also likely list the Cubs as the last team they would make such a daring move with. Sale is signed through 2019 with a final year of $13.5 mil. That is the type of control the Cubs are looking for.

I’m told any deal involving Sale would have to include names like Javy Baez and Jorge Soler to start. It is possible the Cubs could get more in the way of ammunition from a Samardzija deal. When it comes to a pitcher like Sale you have to wonder if he is destined for TJS with his violent delivery. However, one scout told me his arm action is surprisingly clean for his arm slot.

Again, obtaining a Sale type is pie in the sky. However, it does give you an idea of what the Cubs are trying to accomplish this offseason.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think it will get binned just like everyone else but I would want Baez and Bryant (He would have to be a PTBNL). With those 2 and 1-2 lesser prospects I would find it hard to say no. Like Loxas said, will not happen but hey we can dream right?

Don't even waste your time getting your panties in an uproar over a bloggers article. It is complete crap. There is zero basis in reality here.

Has he ever gotten anything or called anything right? Just askin if he has ever been right about any rumor?

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
Has he ever gotten anything or called anything right? Just askin if he has ever been right about any rumor?

I have never even heard of the guy. Seriously this guy is nobody. He isn't a beat writer, he isn't a columnist, or anything like that. He is a dude with a blog.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)
I have never even heard of the guy. Seriously this guy is nobody. He isn't a beat writer, he isn't a columnist, or anything like that. He is a dude with a blog.

And look at the side of the page...

Welcome to ChicagoNow.

Meet our bloggers,

post comments, or

pitch your blog idea.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
Well, I controlled ill get binned just like everyone else but I would want Baez and Bryant (He wowouldn't ave to be a PTBNL). With those 2 and 1-2 lesser prospects I would find it hard to say no. Like Loxas said, will not happen but hey we can dream right?

This would be a horrific deal for the Sox.

The Cubs make no sense as a trade partner since they dont really have a young, cost costrolled all star position player. The Cubs could offer their top 8 prospects and Rick wouldn't bother to pick up the phone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
To trade Sale the Sox would need a young major league star. NO combo of prospects is going to even come close.

I think Bryant will soon be a young major league star. Not that I'd make the deal but he's going to be a stud.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
To trade Sale the Sox would need a young major league star. NO combo of prospects is going to even come close.

Cubs don't have any major league "stars" I am interested in besides Samardzija.

Now if they wanted to do Samardzija + Baez + Bryant that would work too, but I don't think they would even want to do that either.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 25, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
Cubs don't have any major league "stars" I am interested in besides Samardzija.

Now if they wanted to do Samardzija + Baez + Bryant that would work too, but I don't think they would even want to do that either.

The Sox shouldn't have an interest in it.