2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
The 21-year-old Cuban is not a cost-controlled prospect — there’s an opt-out clause that would make him eligible for arbitration after three years service time, but both sides would be thrilled if it came to that. In any case, there’s incentive for the Cubs to develop him quickly in order to make sure the bulk of those nine years are spent at the highest level. Chicago was smart to make such a long-term investment in Soler — it gives them a little developmental cushion.

Okay, just don't know why Rozner and Abbatacola wouldn't know this or mention it.

Probably because they don't know it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcantara has already been slumping after a nice start.

Baez with 13 K's in 33 AB's, although a bit of an improvement over 10/23.

OTOH, their young pitcher Hendricks is doing a pretty good impression of Greg Maddux Lite. Or Dylan Axelrod?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 12:44 AM)

OTOH, their young pitcher Hendricks is doing a pretty good impression of Greg Maddux Lite. Or Dylan Axelrod?

Small sample size for Hendricks, but he's been real good ever since he got out of the first inning of his career. He has great command, but a mediocre fastball.

Matt Guerrier at the beginning of his career would be another comp.

Seems that the kid really is consumed with studying opposing hitters and learning the art of pitching. He's always asking their video guys and advanced scouting people for more information than they have, and that's pretty exhaustive information compared to 20 or even 10 years ago with the advances in tech.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
Well, nobody ever said Jackson was good without Cooper.

As far as Alcantara, a 700ish OPS out of a rookie is acceptable if he can play as well as he has been defensively in CF (and stay healthy, unlike Eaton). Those numbers are way down from where he was a week or two ago, so these are his first offensive struggles...up to him to respond. I don't remember anyone taking Danks seriously as a Top 80-100 prospect in all of baseball for five years now. Let's wait before we start comparing him to Danks, Marcus Semien, Junior Lake and Mike Olt, etc.

I guess we could have said the same thing about Abreu and Avisail in Coors Field. Up to Baez to perform against every pitching staff, obviously.

Alcantara down to .679 now and this is coming off a game of 2/3 with a double. Baez down to .784 and dropping fast. Amazingly, he has no walks in 37 at-bats. He's going to give 2010 Dayan Viciedo a run for his money in the walk category. Also, no homers yet outside Coors.

I think some Cubs' fans are starting to come to the realization that IF these guys turn out to be studs, it's still a few years down the line. I think most Cubs' fans thought as soon as they brought these guys up, they were going to have an immediate impact and top 5 offense in baseball as a result but never underestimate the growing pains that come with the jump from the minors to the majors, especially when expectations are enormous (unless you're mike trout, who is the very exception to every rule)

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Alcantara down to .679 now and this is coming off a game of 2/3 with a double. Baez down to .784 and dropping fast. Amazingly, he has no walks in 37 at-bats. He's going to give 2010 Dayan Viciedo a run for his money in the walk category. Also, no homers yet outside Coors.

I think some Cubs' fans are starting to come to the realization that IF these guys turn out to be studs, it's still a few years down the line. I think most Cubs' fans thought as soon as they brought these guys up, they were going to have an immediate impact and top 5 offense in baseball as a result but never underestimate the growing pains that come with the jump from the minors to the majors, especially when expectations are enormous (unless you're mike trout, who is the very exception to every rule)

My usually more hesitant cub fan friend dropped a wait tip next year post on FB yesterday. Yeah, no.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)

The real panic would start if Bryant struggles at all in 2015.

Anything less than a 900ish OPS is going to be a huge disappointment, and that's going to be extremely difficult to live up to, right away...as a rookie.

Basically, the weight of a half decade of pent up hopes and frustrations on his shoulders.

If the Cubs are lucky, Soler can "sneak" up and start performing well a bit under the radar, with more of the focus on Baez for now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
My usually more hesitant cub fan friend dropped a wait tip next year post on FB yesterday. Yeah, no.

Yes, in my experience they're getting very cocky too. It's really bringing my Cub hate, dormant for so long, back to the surface.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 12:44 AM)

Baez just destroyed one out of Wrigley. When he hits the ball, he hits it hard as hell.

Baez up and down roller coaster continues, at least he's entertaining to watch....coming at a time when Abreu's really going through an August funk.

900 OPS, 2 doubles and 4 HR's in 40 AB's, 13 K's....still no walks yet

The Cubs would definitely be okay with a 30-35% strikeout percentage IF he can start taking some walks and maintain that XB rate.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Baez up and down roller coaster continues, at least he's entertaining to watch....coming at a time when Abreu's really going through an August funk.

900 OPS, 2 doubles and 4 HR's in 40 AB's, 13 K's....still no walks yet

The Cubs would definitely be okay with a 30-35% strikeout percentage IF he can start taking some walks and maintain that XB rate.

Baez K rate sits at 38.8% now, that's brutal. Still no walks in 49 AB. What's the record for most plate appearances to start a career without a walk? I'm guessing it might be over 100 but probably not by much. Alcantara meanwhile is now flirting with the Mendoza line. Looking overmatched at the plate.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...lb&sid=milb

Bryant having an MRI on his foot injury

Schwarber's coming back down to earth at Daytona.

Soler's still hitting well, though, at Iowa.

Nick Gordon and Tyler Kolek haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire in their debuts, either.

Edited by caulfield12

Well, Baez walked twice in one day (I think the second one was former White Sox, now Mets, pitcher Carlos Torres). Also had a K.

Still 22 K's in 55 ab's. Mid 700's OPS.

Alcantara's close to getting replaced by Szczur. There's a prospect name. First Samardzija, now this guy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)

I have no idea how the comparison can be Maddux or Axelrod. That's a very wide spectrum.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 17, 2014 -> 04:42 PM)
I have no idea how the comparison can be Maddux or Axelrod. That's a very wide spectrum.

Okay, Chris Young of the Mariners, although he's also deceptive because of his height/frame which mysteriously comes with a 83-86 MPH fastball.

It's the usual case of someone without a dominating fastball/stuff being compared to Maddux, and, if LH, Tom Glavine/Buehrle/Moyer.

A lot of people think he can be a long-term member of the Cubs' rotation...then there are quite a few doubters because of his lack of stuff. Arrieta's still pitching quite well, but then they have a lot of question marks in Jacob Turner, Straily and Doubront, not to mention Wood, Wada, Beeler, CJ Edwards, P. Johnson, etc.

If they trade Arrieta, it's quite possible nobody on the current major league roster will be in their rotation in 2016.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 18, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
The last time you were this in love with a Cubs pitcher was Travis Wood

Jacob Turner, Felix Doubront, Wada, CJ Edwards, Dan Straily and Pierce Johnson are other options.

It is quite the juxtaposition when you have Bryant with 40 homers and 103 RBI's and he was drafted last year...not being recalled until next June...and Rodon coming up this September. Same agent, of course.