2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Baez is one year older than Courtney Hawkins. If Hawkins were putting up the same numbers in AAA next year, this board would want to see him in Chicago.

Besides, if Baez is going to be a bust, who cares about super 2 status?

Baez actually hits a ton of home runs. Hawkins, for all of his power, hasn't seen his HR total explode the last two years.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
That comp has been around for the last two years, as they compare the bat speed.

Still an odd comparison because Sheffield walked a lot and was really hard to strikeout. Baez thus far has had incredibly high K rates in the minors while not walking a whole lot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
It is funny though that it took Baez one game to hit more opposite field home runs than Barney and Theriot did in their careers.

I dont really see what they have to do with each other. Baez is a power hitter, Barney and Theriot clearly are not

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 07:22 PM)
Your strawman wasn't good enough this time.

But there was no strawman. You just imagined one. Again. All I said was if Courtney Hawkins puts up Javier Baez numbers next year in AAA, the posters here would want to see him in Chicago, and no one would be saying he's a bust waiting to happen.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't think there's anything wrong with stating that Baez has the look of a boom or bust prospect, but he will definitely be given every chance to prove himself. I think of a guy like Chris Carter, who also put up really good numbers in the minors but had better walk and strikeout rates. He's also a 1B, but he's been incredibly mediocre as a pro.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't think there's anything wrong with stating that Baez has the look of a boom or bust prospect, but he will definitely be given every chance to prove himself. I think of a guy like Chris Carter, who also put up really good numbers in the minors but had better walk and strikeout rates. He's also a 1B, but he's been incredibly mediocre as a pro.

Chris Carter was also in A ball when he was Baez's age.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
But there was no strawman. You just imagined one. Again. All I said was if Courtney Hawkins puts up Javier Baez numbers next year in AAA, the posters here would want to see him in Chicago, and no one would be saying he's a bust waiting to happen.

I haven't seen a single person say he's a bust waiting to happen. I've just seen people say he has potential to hit 40 homers, but given how much he strikeouts there's no guarantee he becomes a great hitter and he may bust.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
I haven't seen a single person say he's a bust waiting to happen. I've just seen people say he has potential to hit 40 homers, but given how much he strikeouts there's no guarantee he becomes a great hitter and he may bust.

I think he's the most overrated prospect of their top guys (close with Almora) but their is no denying his talent.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:39 AM)
I think he's the most overrated prospect of their top guys (close with Almora) but their is no denying his talent.

I think he's a much, much better prospect than Almora.

I see what you're saying. I still find it kind of hard to agree with. Almora is holding his own in AA, but Baez has been fairly good at a very similar age at a higher level.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
The Mods and Admins are ganging up in an effort to "get me" or something, but can you tell me what is wrong with what caused this latest attack? This is what I posted:

Baez is one year older than Courtney Hawkins. If Hawkins were putting up the same numbers in AAA next year, this board would want to see him in Chicago.

Besides, if Baez is going to be a bust, who cares about super 2 status?

What there is some sort of strawman argument? What there is an argument? There was a post by another poster, post #564 which got no response from any mod or administrator, which was basically laughing at the posts about Baez.

This is post #564, followed by #565, which quoted the previous post.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
LOL if the White Sox had Baez, everyone on the board would love him. This Cubs thread on the WhiteSox message board is a real treat on a bad day sometimes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Nah, instead of being the next coming of Christ, he'd be the next Adam Dunn because he strikes out too much.

I just commented because you were posting as if every post was 100% negative about Baez which is not true at all. If he were a White Sox player, would the posts be more positive? Of course, welcome to sports fandom, but I'm sure there would also be people wanting him pinch hit for and demoted last night in the 12th after his 0-5 & 3 strikeouts.

A caller on the score just said he's a white sox fan but he's been watching more cubs games this year because of the young guys their calling up and how it's fun to see something being built blah blah blah. I guess seeing eaton , avisail , Abreu , sale , Quintana is not enough lol and we have some decent prospects too like Johnson who doesn't get as much hype, semien etc. people get so caught up with prospects and forget about the proven young players on a team already. Like people will say do the white sox have the best farm system like the cubs? No but I wouldn't trade places with the cubs. Your still hoping for those guys to pan out because ATM they haven't done anything(aside from Rizzo and Castro) ill take the sox players mentioned above since besides avisail, we've seen them succeed