2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
The Cubs should be very, very good within a few years, or sooner. It will make a Dodgers fan out of many here, perhaps.

They still have to perform. With all the hype about Alcantara, he's only hitting 253. They have talent, but the show is a different beast. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle these young guys and who they'll trade to get some pitching.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 01:04 PM)
They still have to perform. With all the hype about Alcantara, he's only hitting 253. They have talent, but the show is a different beast. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle these young guys and who they'll trade to get some pitching.

Don't disagree. If anybody can screw it up...

Baez is a very flawed player. He's a bad defender, strikes out a ton, and doesn't exactly post Dunn-like walk numbers. That doesn't mean he'll be bad, but it means he's very far from a sure bet. I see a lot of Alfonso Soriano in him...the question is whether he'll peak as highly.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
Baez is a very flawed player. He's a bad defender, strikes out a ton, and doesn't exactly post Dunn-like walk numbers. That doesn't mean he'll be bad, but it means he's very far from a sure bet. I see a lot of Alfonso Soriano in him...the question is whether he'll peak as highly.

Bingo. Its going to be interesting where they are going to play him. Second base? Alcantara is a middle infielder who's gonna be playing CF it looks like. You run on him any chance you get.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
LOL if the White Sox had Baez, everyone on the board would love him. This Cubs thread on the WhiteSox message board is a real treat on a bad day sometimes.

Nah, instead of being the next coming of Christ, he'd be the next Adam Dunn because he strikes out too much.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
LOL if the White Sox had Baez, everyone on the board would love him. This Cubs thread on the WhiteSox message board is a real treat on a bad day sometimes.

Baez has huge upside and is an obviously fantastic prospect but there are legitimate reasons to be skeptical about a guy who has struck out about 30% of his at bats in AAA and doesn't walk all that much. The fact he is so young for AAA makes those issues less of a concern and I would bet on him being a solid major leaguer but guys with those type of issues often really struggle at the major league level. For instance, Adam Dunn never had anywhere near the strikeout problems that Baez did in AAA and he was playing in AAA at the same age as Baez. If Baez also sees his K rate jump from its already incredibly high rate in the majors he won't be a productive hitter.

Baez' power potential is unreal, the only thing that may hold him back is his ability to make contact against major league pitching. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a top 10/20 prospect, but that's more based on his ceiling than floor. Guys that strike out in the 28 to 30% range in AA & AAA typically struggle in the pros. He's still so young that there's plenty of time to improve in that area, but he's far from a sure thing offensively and he doesn't have defense to fall back on either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Stupid. Don't call those guys up until after the super2 deadline next year. There is zero reason to waste service time.

We have a winner. There really is no point to this right now.

It's nice to see the Cubs have decided to give a s*** about their fans and just try to put one of the organization's better players on the field. I mean, it's not nice because f*** the Cubs, but I wouldn't mind as a fan of theirs that they made this decision without considering the Super 2 bulls***.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
It's nice to see the Cubs have decided to give a s*** about their fans and just try to put one of the organization's better players on the field. I mean, it's not nice because f*** the Cubs, but I wouldn't mind as a fan of theirs that they made this decision without considering the Super 2 bulls***.

Ehh. I bet he signs a below market extension. Soler is already signed. The only one that won't be doing that is Bryant with Boras as his agent.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)

I agree. If the guy earned a promotion, promote him. It is not like after a new TV contract and a renovated stadium with additional revenue sources the Cubs are the Tampa Bay Rays.

Baez is one year older than Courtney Hawkins. If Hawkins were putting up the same numbers in AAA next year, this board would want to see him in Chicago.

Besides, if Baez is going to be a bust, who cares about super 2 status?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Baez is one year older than Courtney Hawkins. If Hawkins were putting up the same numbers in AAA next year, this board would want to see him in Chicago.

Besides, if Baez is going to be a bust, who cares about super 2 status?

Because no one on Soxtalk has talked about Hawkins unsustainable K rates...

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
The Cubs should be very, very good within a few years, or sooner. It will make a Dodgers fan out of many here, perhaps.

Someone will need to pitch.