Hahn says trade talks have heated up.

dayan024

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
I don't think it makes sense for the Sox to take any righty with their bullpen as it is. Reed, Jones, Lindstrom, and Belisario give 4 of those already. It'd be nice to have at least 1 slot for Petricka or Webb, whoever earns it, and there's a solid chance one of those guys will rapidly out-pitch any Rule 5 pick you slot in there in the spring and the pick would have been a waste.

A lefty? Bring it on.

I'm just all about adding as much young talent as possible. I'd like to see Webb and Petricka as well, but if they have to pitch 1/2 a season in AAA while Hahn tries to deal 1 of the vet RP's its not the end of the world. Or we could just carry 1 lefty even though that's a little unconventional

The Yanks need pitching and have a hole at 2nd. They also have a boat load of catching talent in their system. How about Santiago and Beckham for Gardner and Gary Sanchez, their #1 catching prospect?

Of course, it's always buyer beware with the hype that usually accompanies Yankees prospects.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 05:51 AM)
The Yanks need pitching and have a hole at 2nd. They also have a boat load of catching talent in their system. How about Santiago and Beckham for Gardner and Gary Sanchez, their #1 catching prospect?

Of course, it's always buyer beware with the hype that usually accompanies Yankees prospects.

I would LOVE that deal...makes sense for for both clubs. Looks like the Yankees over value Gardner so I doubt this would happen. If If anything; Hahn needs to inquire. This could be a great swap for both clubs.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)
Can you summarize what he said on the score please?

They talked about Konerko, which is old news at this point.

Same old stuff...

Trying to get players that fit into the long term like Abreu and Garcia.

Would like to join the fun of making deals, but can't rush it.

Pretty generic topics.

If I had to guess, a lefty pitcher not named Sale is getting moved this week.

I'd really like Castro and would easily part with either Santiago or Quintana to get him. He doesn't have to hit as well as he did last year to be really worth it. Have Flowers back him up and you have a really nice catching tandem. Castro would catch a bunch and you let Flowers go against the toughest lefties, where he should have some success.

If Houston doesn't think they can compete before Castro hits FA or not until he's about to become a FA, send him over here. The marginal gain at the C position would be astronomical. Having a young lefty bat in the middle of the order for the next several years would make the lineup really quite scary.

Imagine having a middle of the lineup is some order including:

-Abreu

-Avisail

-Castro

-Viciedo

and then, you're looking at guys like Alexei, ADA, and Semien for the top/bottom in the near term. A lot of talent and not very much age among that crew.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 08:55 AM)
I'd really like Castro and would easily part with either Santiago or Quintana to get him. He doesn't have to hit as well as he did last year to be really worth it. Have Flowers back him up and you have a really nice catching tandem. Castro would catch a bunch and you let Flowers go against the toughest lefties, where he should have some success.

If Houston doesn't think they can compete before Castro hits FA or not until he's about to become a FA, send him over here. The marginal gain at the C position would be astronomical. Having a young lefty bat in the middle of the order for the next several years would make the lineup really quite scary.

Imagine having a middle of the lineup is some order including:

-Abreu

-Avisail

-Castro

-Viciedo

and then, you're looking at guys like Alexei, ADA, and Semien for the top/bottom in the near term. A lot of talent and not very much age among that crew.

I don't think I would trade Quintana for Castro, especially based off Hahn's comments that he's one of 4 that's unreadable. I would focus on building a package centered around Santiago for Castro.

That line up looks real good if everything comes to form

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
I don't think I would trade Quintana for Castro, especially based off Hahn's comments that he's one of 4 that's unreadable. I would focus on building a package centered around Santiago for Castro.

That line up looks real good if everything comes to form

Honestly, I hate trading either guy, but if 2014 is going to be a transition year we're better off moving one of them for a young impact bat and having both Johnson & Rienzo in the rotation. The problem is that Quintana has a lot more value, but is also the guy you'd rather not give up. Building a trade for Castro around Santiago would require another couple of pieces and that's only if they really believe in Santiago's potential. I think this is definitely a trade worth exploring as Castro would be an insane upgrade over the crap we trotted out there last year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
Honestly, I hate trading either guy, but if 2014 is going to be a transition year we're better off moving one of them for a young impact bat and having both Johnson & Rienzo in the rotation. The problem is that Quintana has a lot more value, but is also the guy you'd rather not give up. Building a trade for Castro around Santiago would require another couple of pieces and that's only if they really believe in Santiago's potential. I think this is definitely a trade worth exploring as Castro would be an insane upgrade over the crap we trotted out there last year.

Hit them with Erik Johnson, Addison Reed, and their choice of Beckham or Semien (we build around Semien at 2B if they take Beckham or we keep Beckham and hope for Micah Johnson/other in 2 years if Beckham doesn't take another step forward). They would HAVE to think long and hard about that because that is seriously a haul.

I don't believe in Rienzo, I think he's a #5 or a MR, but I really like Johnson and Beck. But if you go with a 4-lefty rotation to start the year, you can use Rienzo as your righty (or better yet sign a FA if you can) and then look for Beck to be ready by the time you trade Danks. You take your chances on finding the last righty in another deal or in house, maybe even as next year's #1.

I would love to be able to keep both Q and Hector. Both look extendable, both look very good, both are hard working, over-achiever type players who have made a habit of getting the very best out of their abilities & making strides beyond where their ceilings are supposed to be. As lefties with nice arms, I don't want to part with them because although we're a little different, generally it's the lefties that are the hardest to find.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
Quintana would bring a lot more in return and we'd be selling high on him.

And we'd also be trading away our 2nd best pitcher, weakening our strongest area from the top and pushing those at the bottom up, rather than working from the bottom and keeping what we have on top.

But if you made the Castro-for-Quintana deal straight-up that would be a fair trade for both teams. I'd rather send out more pieces and have both players, if at all possible.

A couple other Castro trades that I think we could try in order to keep Johnson, Q, Hector:

Reed + Beckham/Semien + Beck + Snodgress

Nate Jones + M. Johnson + Beck + Snodgress

We'd have to trade starting pitching to get Castro for sure, but we can afford to deal a 2B or 2B prospect plus Snodgress who'd be blocked, and you can always trade a reliever for a starting position player of equal or better quality.

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
A couple other Castro trades that I think we could try in order to keep Johnson, Q, Hector:

Reed + Beckham/Semien + Beck + Snodgress

Nate Jones + M. Johnson + Beck + Snodgress

We'd have to trade starting pitching to get Castro for sure, but we can afford to deal a 2B or 2B prospect plus Snodgress who'd be blocked, and you can always trade a reliever for a starting position player of equal or better quality.

We already gave them Harrel and Humber, haha.

Edited by caulfield12