Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
Viciedo is absolutely part of the young core. He might flame out, but he has equally as good a chance of being a premier power hitter. He has some of the best hitting tools you'll ever see.

Dayan will be 25 next season, as will Adam Eaton. It'll be a full season where we need to see what we have with our most recent, young additions in Eaton and Avisail Garcia. An argument could easily be made to add Dayan to that mix to give him one more season and see if he can finally optimize the potential we've talked about for so long now.

Viciedo, 25, in left. Eaton, 25, in center. Garcia, 23, in right. I'm willing to give that configuration a chance in the outfield next season.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:52 PM)
The Blue Jays site I lurk thought the Angels won the deal, the Sox did well and AZ got screwed. Seems to be the consensus. Although, like here, a handful of guys love Eaton and think the Sox won big as well.

Also funny at one point, they started talking about Viciedo as a platoon partner with Adam Lind. Ultimately they thought he was too much of a butcher.

Is this the same site they were talking all that s*** about JP? That was hilarious!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:42 AM)
Dayan will be 25 next season, as will Adam Eaton. It'll be a full season where we need to see what we have with our most recent, young additions in Eaton and Avisail Garcia. An argument could easily be made to add Dayan to that mix to give him one more season and see if he can finally optimize the potential we've talked about for so long now.

Viciedo, 25, in left. Eaton, 25, in center. Garcia, 23, in right. I'm willing to give that configuration a chance in the outfield next season.

1 more season and then what? Have a hole at DH and in LF? I agree we need to upgrade in LF, but I want that upgrade to take place next offseason when we can naturally move Viciedo over to DH, because there is no reason to acquire a DH when we have one on our team already.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 02:00 AM)
1 more season and then what? Have a hole at DH and in LF? I agree we need to upgrade in LF, but I want that upgrade to take place next offseason when we can naturally move Viciedo over to DH, because there is no reason to acquire a DH when we have one on our team already.

It depends on what Viciedo does in his 3rd full year. If he's still putting up a .730 - .740 OPS and and OBP around .300 why aren't we going to the market to find absolutely anyone who's better

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
I've never understood this "won the deal" mentality. It's not a video game. It's not about "winning a deal" based on your perceptions of value. It's about improving the team.

Couldn't agree more. Different trades will benefit different teams in certain ways. They are meant to fill a need with a quality player without giving up something that will hurt the team substantially.

We accomplished those criteria with this trade.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:22 AM)
I've never understood this "won the deal" mentality. It's not a video game. It's not about "winning a deal" based on your perceptions of value. It's about improving the team.

Angels improved their team the most, the Sox improved their team the adequately, and the Diamondbacks didn't improve the team at all.

;)

Winning the deal is improving the team. Unlike a game, doesn't necessarily have to be a loser for every winner.

I know exactly what you mean. The usefulness of that kind of thinking is determining whether you should have been able to pull off an even better deal, though. The Pods and Vizcaino deal is our example of a deal that works out for everyone, but I think you could still legitimately question that deal on the basis that maybe we could have done even better for a premier hitter like Lee.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:38 AM)
I know exactly what you mean. The usefulness of that kind of thinking is determining whether you should have been able to pull off an even better deal, though. The Pods and Vizcaino deal is our example of a deal that works out for everyone, but I think you could still legitimately question that deal on the basis that maybe we could have done even better for a premier hitter like Lee.

By getting who? We profiled a target and used an asset to attain him. That trade wasn't about getting perceived value. It was about using an expendable asset to fill a piece that KW thought would improve that specific team. They targeted Pods and spent what was needed to obtain him. It's not a game of accumulating the most WAR. It's a game of finding the best pieces that fit, to go along with the best pitching.

We're trying to build a team. We've done it by acquiring a dynamic OF, a prototypical lead off hitter,a super sub with high upside and a prototypical power hitter.

If you have 2 aces and you use one to acquire a position of great need, you may have "lost" the individual trade, but you still made your team better.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 01:59 AM)
By getting who? We profiled a target and used an asset to attain him. That trade wasn't about getting perceived value. It was about using an expendable asset to fill a piece that KW thought would improve that specific team. They targeted Pods and spent what was needed to obtain him. It's not a game of accumulating the most WAR. It's a game of finding the best pieces that fit, to go along with the best pitching.

We're trying to build a team. We've done it by acquiring a dynamic OF, a prototypical lead off hitter,a super sub with high upside and a prototypical power hitter.

If you have 2 aces and you use one to acquire a position of great need, you may have "lost" the individual trade, but you still made your team better.

For one, I think we won this deal by any measure.

Second, it's hard to argue that we lost the Lee deal since we won the WS. With that said, who is to say we couldn't have gotten a guy like Chone Figgins instead? The Angels had a wide open DH spot and Figgins could have played LF better defensively, been just as spark-y and grind-y and hit better than Pods. Maybe we go 11-0 in the playoffs instead of 11-1. Maybe we win 102 games instead of 99. Hard to prove and disprove these arguments, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that we could have gotten Chone instead and that the franchise would have been better for it.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 02:04 AM)
How did the D-backs lose the deal? They had two center fielders (Pollock and Eaton) and have a surplus of SP to acquire a 30-40 HR bat. The Dbacks had Aaron Hill slated in as their 4 hitter before the deal. They had a surplus and addressed a weakness.

Would you give up Skaggs and Eaton for a cheaper Adam Dunn?

Cause that's the gist of it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
It's not that I don't like the trade it's just that it's disappointing that Santiago didn't net them more. This rebuild is going to take some time if they only make incremental improvements in trading the few assets they have.

It's Hector f***ing Santiago, not Cy Young.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
Eaton was on a ROY pace before injury last season. If a guy like Gardner is a quality every day CF, Eaton very likely can get it done.

Well, this is just a made up, alteration of facts. Someone predicting him to be ROY and then him getting injured does not put him on pace for ROY!

Wow.. couldn't touch this guy two years ago and now we got him. I'm generally a fan of most of the prospects in Arizona's farm system. They know how to really develop their prospects well for the most part (more-so hitters.. ironic I know). Hope he has a Carlos Quentin-like impact with us.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
We have a glut of LHP, this made sense even if I was a real fan of Hector's.

The problem is we got crap in return. Adam Eaton cant hit. I dont get it, and now were going to deal DeAza for a lottery ticket prospect. What does this net us other than a new face? I mean, unless Hahn does something super fancy (or teams somehow arent aware of ADAs sucktitude) this boils down to:

Solid lefty with good potential

Low caliber starting CF

for

Low-middle caliber starting CF

Mediocre prospect

Team didnt get better unless they see something in Eaton that indicate he will get good.

Minor league batting average is .348. And you are saying he can't hit.

This is like saying the moon isn't in the sky or snow isn't cold.

I really can't see how you can't like this trade. We'll find out just how good Eaton is, but everything points to him being what the Sox needed: A young, legitimate center fielder who has speed, can hit, and is smart. Plus he's controlled for a few years.

We all knew that a starter was going to be traded, and that starter was most likely going to be a lefty. Santiago was really the only one who could be traded for something decent without trading one of the best (Sale, Q). I like Santiago, but I'm a realist and realize that the Sox weren't as high on him as many of us fans were. Getting Eaton back for him is good, possibly very good if Eaton plays like it seems he can play.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
There is absolutely no reason to give up on Viciedo yet. Give him another year in LF, then let him naturally move right in to the DH role in 2015 where he can just focus on being a great hitter. Then if he still can't hit as a full-time DH, then you can worry about moving him, which will be when he is still only age 26 and under contract.

I mean, who else is going to DH for this team in 2015? We have no power studs in the minors who don't have a position. Our best bet would be like Andy Wilkins.

Viciedo blows.