Payroll

Princess Dye

Interesting nugget on MLBTR this morning:

The White Sox are looking to cut their payroll from just under $119MM in 2013 to between $89MM-$99MM range for 2014, ESPN Chicago's Doug Padilla writes, with the $99MM figure being the likelier of the two. Despite the cuts on the Major League side, GM Rick Hahn said the club will reinvest the saved money into extra spending on the draft and international signings.

That is the first time I've seen the $99MM figure thrown out there. Is there another acquisition coming up shortly or is that for the draft? I was under the impression that the ~$84MM included the draft before.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
That would be like Rienzo, Veal, Leesman, and Snodgress.

I would say more like Leesman (Richard), Heath (Russell), Cose (Carter), and Santos Rodriguez (Poreda). It was a package almost entirely void of talent.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
Speaking of the Cubs, there's a report on mlbtraderumors that they asked for Stroman, Sanchez and another player for Samardzija.

I could ask for gold flecks on a sundae while eating it off Kate Upton's stomach, but that doesn't seem very reasonable either, does it?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
I would say more like Leesman (Richard), Heath (Russell), Cose (Carter), and Santos Rodriguez (Poreda). It was a package almost entirely void of talent.

I could ask for gold flecks on a sundae while eating it off Kate Upton's stomach, but that doesn't seem very reasonable either, does it?

It might not be reasonable, but if you don't ask, it definitely won't happen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
It might not be reasonable, but if you don't ask, it definitely won't happen.

While this is true, I can also say the Sox should ask for Matt Davidson and Chris Owings for Alejandro De Aza. I mean, really, if I don't ask, it's not going to happen.

Samardzija is not that good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
While this is true, I can also say the Sox should ask for Matt Davidson and Chris Owings for Alejandro De Aza. I mean, really, if I don't ask, it's not going to happen.

Samardzija is not that good.

I got blasted on the Cubs thread for saying he wasn't very good over a year ago, but the worst thing they can say when making a ridiculous trade proposal is no. If they have interest in your player, it's not going to suddenly go away. I'm sure every team asks for ridiculous returns for most of their players. If negotiation works it's way to the middle, you probably want to start out really high because the other side will probably start out really low. As ridiculous as the asking price, if they told you what the initial offer was, that was probably equally ridiculous.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
I got blasted on the Cubs thread for saying he wasn't very good over a year ago, but the worst thing they can say when making a ridiculous trade proposal is no. If they have interest in your player, it's not going to suddenly go away. I'm sure every team asks for ridiculous returns for most of their players. If negotiation works it's way to the middle, you probably want to start out really high because the other side will probably start out really low. As ridiculous as the asking price, if they told you what the initial offer was, that was probably equally ridiculous.

I generally agree, though there absolutely are instances where a team will ask for an absurd return and there is no longer any interest. Stroman and Sanchez is the beginning of a package for Chris Sale (I'd say David Price, but Rays wouldn't trade him within the division, at least I don't think they would), and theoretically, they wouldn't have to include a lot more. Chris Sale is twice the pitcher Samardzija is.

Samardzija reminds me a bit of Javy Vazquez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
I generally agree, though there absolutely are instances where a team will ask for an absurd return and there is no longer any interest. Stroman and Sanchez is the beginning of a package for Chris Sale (I'd say David Price, but Rays wouldn't trade him within the division, at least I don't think they would), and theoretically, they wouldn't have to include a lot more. Chris Sale is twice the pitcher Samardzija is.

Samardzija reminds me a bit of Javy Vazquez.

I would not trade Sanchez straight up for Samardzjia, given his years of control and that is floor seems to be at least a rotation contributor and in my mind he will be a better pitcher by the end of the season. I would not take Stroman as a piece in a Sale trade, his value is too high right now for someone who has a greater chance than not of becoming a bullpen arm.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
What is it the Sox have done that the Cubs haven't? I think Rick is doing a fine job and all, but I'm not sure what the Cubs have to do with anything. They're going about their rebuild differently, and in my opinion, it's going pretty well.

The Cub rebuild is relevant because many here have said that is how they wanted the Sox to rebuild. The Cubs have been doing this for three years now and still haven't developed a real major leaguer from their program. The Sox have been doing it six months, and now have three of their four top hitters in their expected 2014 line up ready to go in the majors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 04:34 PM)
The Cub rebuild is relevant because many here have said that is how they wanted the Sox to rebuild. The Cubs have been doing this for three years now and still haven't developed a real major leaguer from their program. The Sox have been doing it six months, and now have three of their four top hitters in their expected 2014 line up ready to go in the majors.

Of course the end result is what matters, but I like Hahn's way a lot better. I just wonder if Theo would consider his way the "correct" way if the Cubs didn't have a $300 million rehab about to start. It is amazing he passes on so many players yet gave EJax $52 million.

I'm still trying to figure out how much the Sox have saved last year and this year with the trade of Peavy, Rios, Thornton and Crain, Konerko's and Floyds salaries this year ,adding in the arbritration raises (12M?) + Abreu, 4.75M total for Belisario and Paulino, 1.5 M for Konerko .Then you have the +25M per season through 2021 for TV money .

I probably missed a guy or 2 figuring Avi and Leury Garcia, Eaton, Elmore and Davidson salaries balance out losing Wise, Axelrod, Angel Sanchez, Reed, and Santiago. Right now I'd say the Sox have $94M committed to 2014 so far . $84M if you don't want to count Abreu's $10M bonus. So right now they're $25M under last years $119M player salary payroll but have $25M more in their pockets of TV money. Does that necessarily mean the Sox have $50M more to spend on payroll if they wanted ? Let's subtract from that $10M for the 2014 draft and another $5M for international spending ( http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws ). That's still $35 million left over compared to last year. Is all that offset by attendence drop from last year ?

Am I missing something ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
Is all that offset by attendence drop from last year ?

Am I missing something ?

They also cut prices on tickets substantially last year in addition to the attendance drop, so I'd say a 25%+ decline in gate revenues seems entirely reasonable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
They also cut prices on tickets substantially last year in addition to the attendance drop, so I'd say a 25%+ decline in gate revenues seems entirely reasonable.

Not to mention with ratings down, I am sure they are taking an advertising hit this year, both on TV, and at the ballpark.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
Unpopular news that is good

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...w-spending-plan

Organizational health comes foremost. Plus there's a little nugget in there alluding to 2015 being...a target for expenditures. Finally a clear plan (as far as overall org)

It is really evident they are looking at acquiring long-term, cost controlled players that fit into a long-term core. I expect that this will allow the club to acquire some more higher priced players that they can surround them (as well as free up the coughers to sign the younger players who look like keepers to extensions). I love the plan, but the next step is actually developing the guys and getting them to pan out.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
Sounds like a great strategy. Hold payroll down and fill the roster with high potential cost controlled players and then have the ability to spend eventually to add a missing piece. The Sox will be in great shape next season to bid on Headley or Sandoval if they feel the rest of the roster is in order.

Well I'd have agreed on Headley but now that wouldn't make sense. After this deal, I'd have really liked to go in a time machine and land McCann, he would have filled a huge need.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:13 AM)
They'll magically have money if they are contending though. Maybe Tanaka doesn't get posted until July.

After identifying and acquiring some young position players with potential, they should have the financial flexibility to put in a very competitive bid on Tanaka.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
If Hahn did that, then it'd be amazing.I can't see the Dodgers or Angels in it, both those teams have so much money tied up.

Yankees and Cubs I can see.

Both teams were supposedly all in but become more luke warm based upon the new posting rules. I think a major market wins because there can be a lot of endorsement money + additional revenues generated. Tanaka would be a huge get for the Sox but I'd be surprised if one of the bigger spending big market teams didn't win Tanaka.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)

Ok I don't see Belisario's $3M on there or Abreu's $10M signing bonus so that adds $13M to their total of $80 which takes it to $93M and they said $11M in arbritration raises while I said $12M so my figure of $94M in Post #86 was pretty much dead on. One minor quibble they have Konerko at $2.5 but he's really only getting $1.5 this year and $1M in 2021.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Ok I don't see Belisario's $3M on there or Abreu's $10M signing bonus so that adds $13M to their total of $80 which takes it to $93M and they said $11M in arbritration raises while I said $12M so my figure of $94 in Post #86 was pretty much dead on. One minor quibble they have Konerko at $2.5 but he's really only getting $1.5 this year and $1M in 2021.

I think that's a sign Belisario hasn't been finalized yet.

I think Konerko's last contract had him getting $1 million in 2014 as part of the deferred payments, so in reality he's being paid in total $2.5 million this year and that's actually accurate.

Abreu's signing bonus is being counted off the books by a lot of people and it seems no one knows yet how to divy that up. I don't know how to deal with it either...when I try to count it people tell me I'm wrong to do so.