Payroll

Princess Dye

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great strategy. Hold payroll down and fill the roster with high potential cost controlled players and then have the ability to spend eventually to add a missing piece. The Sox will be in great shape next season to bid on Headley or Sandoval if they feel the rest of the roster is in order.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Sounds like a great strategy. Hold payroll down and fill the roster with high potential cost controlled players and then have the ability to spend eventually to add a missing piece. The Sox will be in great shape next season to bid on Headley or Sandoval if they feel the rest of the roster is in order.

Could not agree more. Let it ride this year, see where you are at developmentally on all of these players.

Right now, I'm hopeful for about 75-80 wins while getting extended looks at Semien, Sanchez, and L. Garcia.

If we could just some how some way find a quality catcher, I like our chances going into to 2015. We have Dunn, Lindstrom, Konerko, coming off the books which is probably like 17-20 million. Considering we are cutting payroll this year to what seems like mid 80s maybe 90 million, if we win more than we should say 80 ish games, we could see that payroll maybe creep back up to the 110 neighborhood. That could gives us something in the neighborhood of 40 million dollars to play around with. Enough to compete for Headley or Sandoval, and maybe enough to bring a veteran right handed complement to Sale and Quintana. Right handed starters like Shields, Bailey, Masterson, Scherzer are all free agents, heck even Peavy if the price is right. A lot can happen between now and next offseason, but at least for now things dont look so bleak.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
Could not agree more. Let it ride this year, see where you are at developmentally on all of these players.

Right now, I'm hopeful for about 75-80 wins while getting extended looks at Semien, Sanchez, and L. Garcia.

I think 80 is a bit much, but definitely agree.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:57 PM)
So this is a punt and a major rebuild

Major rebuilds only last a year?

I'd call it a transitional year. Signing Abreu and adding a legit leadoff hitter(plenty of time to add more pieces) could have been their definition of not punting.

Edited by scs787

To be completely transparent though, they are leaving out the additional ~$25M they are set to receive in the national TV deal, that amount alone should pay for all the amateur signings they need to do for the upcoming season.

I still approve of the practice, as there is no need to go out and throw money at someone when it doesn't make sense, but they are banking some money, either to use for a FA, take on salary in a deal or to payoff their long term obligations (deferred salaries). That is unless of course they use $20M of the $25M to post a bid for Tanaka.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:52 PM)
I think 80 is a bit much, but definitely agree.

I think replacing PK's ailing bat with Abreu and upgrading the OF defense alone has probably gotten us there. I see this team as a potential third place team in the AL Central. The biggest question I have is who is the guy on the team that will get in peoples faces and hold them accountable, I am not sure we have that guy on this roster.

I like the idea. Right now, this team is better than last year's team, and it's apparent that they are going to continue to improve. I don't view this as a major rebuild at all. The article clearly states that if they are in contention at the trading deadline, there will be money available. I don't think this team will be in contention, but add two more pieces this off season (catcher, 3B), and it's a different story.

I look at 2014 as a transition year where they will be continuing to improve while checking out some of the young talent out there. 2015 looks like it could be a great year for White Sox baseball.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
I think replacing PK's ailing bat with Abreu and upgrading the OF defense alone has probably gotten us there. I see this team as a potential third place team in the AL Central. The biggest question I have is who is the guy on the team that will get in peoples faces and hold them accountable, I am not sure we have that guy on this roster.

Adam Spanky Eaton...The new Dustin Pedrioia....sounds like he could end up being that guy.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)

Eaton could be that guy from what I've read. Maybe not a get-in-your-face way, but in a follow-my-lead way.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 07:10 PM)
I like the idea. Right now, this team is better than last year's team, and it's apparent that they are going to continue to improve. I don't view this as a major rebuild at all. The article clearly states that if they are in contention at the trading deadline, there will be money available. I don't think this team will be in contention, but add two more pieces this off season (catcher, 3B), and it's a different story.

I look at 2014 as a transition year where they will be continuing to improve while checking out some of the young talent out there. 2015 looks like it could be a great year for White Sox baseball.

Last year's team was significantly better on paper coming into the season than this year's team will be (barring a few starting-caliber acquisitions).

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Last year's team was significantly better on paper coming into the season than this year's team will be (barring a few starting-caliber acquisitions).

No, you're right. I should have been more specific. I meant that based on what sort of production came out of last year's team, I'm more comfortable with this team. Maybe because my expectations are more grounded, but I feel that there will be much more energy with this team.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
Adam Spanky Eaton...The new Dustin Pedrioia....sounds like he could end up being that guy.

Possibly, but I think it is really hard for a rookie to be that guy and not be cast as the odd ball. The culture of the Sox clubhouse seems so laid back, maybe thats just perception.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)

Last years team totally forgot how to play defense and run the bases, and half the team didn't start hitting until June and PK never did. If that were not the case I think last years team would have won 80+ games. The team wasn't as bad as the record indicates, they just did a lot of bad things a lot of times.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
How many quality free agents are available in July?

None. But money can be spent other ways. By, say, trading for a guy who has a few years left on a higher contract. I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing. Everyone, including Rick Hahn, knows that there are no free agents waiting to be signed in July. He's talking about spending money by trading and committing to contracts that they're not in a position to right now.