Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I can't recall that ever happening in baseball.

It doesn't. The players don't want to have to do that, and in MLB the union is strong enough for all contracts to be guaranteed.

Sale could offer up a couple years of FA in exchange for making those last couple option years into guaranteed years with more money and the Sox might bite on that at some point.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
And after year 1 and 2 it looked like Dice-K would, and then......

Its a large contract and i am glad the Sox didnt try to outbid this offer.

Of course, that's a possibility as well.

Yes, all things considered, I'm happy the Sox didn't end up with him at this price. My final offer was actually really similar to this, but I could never have fully guaranteed a 7th year to this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Of course, that's a possibility as well.

Yes, all things considered, I'm happy the Sox didn't end up with him at this price. My final offer was actually really similar to this, but I could never have fully guaranteed a 7th year to this.

If history is any indicator, the last three to four years are going to be brutal for the Yankees.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 7m

#Yankees #dodgers #Cubs were finalist for Tanaka. #Yankees went from 6 yr offer to 7 in past few days, told without that could not do deal

I am just assuming the Sox were as well, but there's no difference between 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 30th in a free agent negotiation.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
I am just assuming the Sox were as well, but there's no difference between 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 30th in a free agent negotiation.

I wonder if the Dodgers and Cubs also went to a 7th year, because I am guessing the Sox would not.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
What fans were holding out hope for was that the luxury tax would impact how the Dodgers and Yankees do business. It obviously does not.

What this shows is that the posting cost Tanaka's Japanese team $30M that ended up in Tanaka's pocket anyway and wasted a lot of other peoples time.

No. The rumored contract was upward of $140 million all along, luxury tax or not. Which definitely puts him out of Sox range. The only unknown factor was how much Tanaka values other factors in the offer.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
You can spread out 35 million over as many years as you like, but it matters to a team like the Sox and obviously doesn't to the Yankees.

I spread out the 35 million over the course of the contract and added the posting fee, and as I pointed out, it wasn't much different annually averaged. Obviously I am not adding interest made on money sitting elsewhere, but rates are pretty low right now. Maybe in 4 or 5 years that could be very different.

7 years is scary, but so was 6 and 5 and 4 and 3 for that kind of money, but if he pitches well, the 7th year is irrelevant, it won't go that far. He will be re-negotiating after 4.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Aren't Cali and Illinois both pretty high in taxes?

And you only pay that tax rate when you're playing the game in that state, road tips get counted at the local state's rate, so there's lots of gimmicks going on and that's only a small portion of the difference in these deals.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
It is really a 4 yr deal in reality.

No, it's important not to look at it like this. It CAN be a 4 year deal, but the decision is totally up to Tanaka. This is not the same as the Cutler deal (or any NFL deal) were the team can cut their losses after that if they want. The Yankees can never cut Tanaka loose. Only Tanaka himself can cut himself loose.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
I wonder if the Dodgers and Cubs also went to a 7th year, because I am guessing the Sox would not.

And I am more than OK with that.

Honestly, we were never front-runners. There was a chance we could sell him on something that wasn't money, wasn't the best chance to win a World Series, wasn't the "west coast" etc. That was our only chance. At the end of the day it looks like he went for biggest contract, which means we never had a chance.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
No, it's important not to look at it like this. It CAN be a 4 year deal, but the decision is totally up to Tanaka. This is not the same as the Cutler deal (or any NFL deal) were the team can cut their losses after that if they want. The Yankees can never cut Tanaka loose. Only Tanaka himself can cut himself loose.

If he sucks it's a 7 year deal. If he is awesome, it's a 4 year deal. If his performance is mixed, it depends on how good he was in 2016-2017.

What is funny is all the speculation, all the fake information by supposed insiders who make their living being insiders, and in the end it winds up being almost exactly what was predicted when it first came out he may be posted.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
I spread out the 35 million over the course of the contract and added the posting fee, and as I pointed out, it wasn't much different annually averaged. Obviously I am not adding interest made on money sitting elsewhere, but rates are pretty low right now. Maybe in 4 or 5 years that could be very different.

7 years is scary, but so was 6 and 5 and 4 and 3 for that kind of money, but if he pitches well, the 7th year is irrelevant, it won't go that far. He will be re-negotiating after 4.

Brutal either way, but you can only push so far.

You assume that he pitches well enough to want to re-negotiate a contract that pays him like the a top five pitcher in all of baseball from his age 29-32 years.