Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At equal contracts? I'm picking Tanaka. This guy was just as dominant at what he did, but against much better competition. At half the price, less hypothetical risk of injury...I'm happy with Abreu

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Yep, supposedly. Supply and demand I guess.

Shows you how great of a bargain we got on Abreu IMO.

Exactly. I thought at the time that the Sox were making a risky move, but after seeing the contracts handed out this off season if Abreu even turns into 75% of what we hope his contract could be a steal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Yep, supposedly. Supply and demand I guess.

Shows you how great of a bargain we got on Abreu IMO.

This is what I keep thinking. There's a chance that Abreu's contract is going to look like a huge bargain in a year or two.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
If you were OK with 6 and 120, 7 and 155 isn't too much different. I want to know what the Cubs offer was? What is Cubbie blogger saying now? Bruce, I thought the Cubs were the "lead team"?

An extra year and 35 million isn't too much different? I'll quote you on that if we signed Garza or Jimenez to a year one 35 million dollar contract.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
Good thing Tanaka's wifes LA pop career figured in so much to this. And the close travel to Japan

Flight time to Tokyo from LA 10 hours, from Chicago 11.5 hours, from NYC 13 hours. Really not much different especially if you are in first class with a bed.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:56 AM)
Who was fooled? The White Sox flat out said if it comes down to money they will not get him.

The cubs were the one's that said they would not be outbid.

I think the Sox ended up around 5 years $100M not enough to outbid teams but if was not about money they had a shot did some work and it did not work out.

He was an ideal for what they need at this time as he was for every other team.

The general sentiment is the Dodgers and Yankees can over a lot more than we can. My guess was he signs for 7/$147, and Sox offered 7/$119.

But bigger unknown was how much Tanaka would value the money over other factors. For those who felt Tanaka would leave $30 mil on the table, they fooled themselves.

Hahn was wright, if it hasn't come down to $$, we had as much a chance as anyone, but the sad reality was it most likely came down to money, but a lot of people here refused to see that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
At equal contracts? I'm picking Tanaka. This guy was just as dominant at what he did, but against much better competition. At half the price, less hypothetical risk of injury...I'm happy with Abreu

Pish. I'm always taking the hitter.