Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About Tanaka: said it is rare for a team to have a chance to lay out their future for an international or domestic FA. Told Tanaka their plan and said he had a chance to be a part of something, as the Sox think they are on the precipice of something special. Told him how the WS felt he fit into the future.

Hahn said no matter the outcome, he really enjoyed the process. And he didnt want to say much out of respect for the process.

IMO, I think Hahn told them he wouldn't talk about Tanaka on the show. They waited till the last few minutes to talk about it and were vague with good reason. Both Kap and Rodgers asked questions, when Rodgers did he started asking about a hypothetical Japense pitxher, and Hahn replied "the one I don't want to talk about".

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
It would have nice if the Sox didn't need a catcher the same offseason the Yankees, Red Sox and Rangers.*

I'll give you maybe the Rangers, but their top prospect right now is a catcher, and I think the Red Sox are pretty high on Swihart becoming their catcher within the next year or two. I never really thought either of those teams would realistically spend big on a catcher, especially the Red Sox. Yankees on the other hand, it just made sense that they would go all out for McCann this offseason.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
The Red Sox were reportedly interested him and regardless of Swihart, they have looming openings at 1B and DH with both Napoli and Ortiz not under contract for long. Most people don't expect McCann to catch that entire contract and LH power is at an absolute premium right now.

I know what your saying, and McCann will be the Yankees DH most likely by 2016 or 17, but for the most part the Yankees were the team that was not going to be outbid for him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
"Imperative to turn this around as soon as possible." - on 2013

"We haven't been able to convert on every move we wanted to." - on this offseason

"A lot of understandable distaste for the catching situation."

"One name that was a long term option at catcher and he signed for way more than we wanted." Someone asks "McCann?" Hahn laughs, "That would be him."

"We think there is more to Tyler and Josh and we think Nieto has chance. If that's the group we're going in with that might be a future option." - on catching situation

"We are going to get a great player at #3."

"We are getting close to the point of being self-sustained." - on developmental aspects.

"During '08-"12 the lion-share of the resources went to the Major League team." mentions our pitchers leading in WAR over 10 year period. - on stress towards developmental aspects.

"When we signed Chris, you try to see where could this potentially lead. We got control of 3 years of Chris's FA. We saw his market was only going to increase as you've seen with Kershaw. It was a risk worth taking." - on signing Chris Sale long term.

"Internally we have believed in Chris Sale's body. Maybe it's good people doubt him." - on Sale's mechanics

"The safest assumption is that the roster we have is going to be same one we go in to ST."

"Tanaka situation is atypical." - on the rest of the offseason.

"Any pitcher is a risk. More money, more risk. The more we can become self sustained with Chris Sale, Quintana, Erik Johnson's, guys like Chris Beck the less need there is to go out and sign a back end pitcher for 8-10 milion." - on free agents starters.

"I'm excited to see Eaton."

"Handful of young guys and say this is the time for them to step up and if Gordon and Viciedo were here they would agree." - on young players

"I like Belisario and Downs for our ballpark." "Daniel Webb has the potential to close in the MLB." "If there is another opportunity on a guy in the bullpen we are all for competition down there." - on bullpen

"I am not concerned with our revenues or payrolls. The higher the payroll is the more mistakes I can make. We have enough money to win here right now." - on payroll

"Rising revenues in local TV money is raising the cost on the backend of the club. To have options like Erik Johnson instead of signing a backend starter is great for us." - on increasing salaries

"At the very least, having Dunn's LH bat, he is going to take pressure off these young guys." "Abreu, Garcia, Eaton and Davidson potentially are going to have learning curves and having guys like Dunn, De Aza and Alexei helps that." -Dunn and the young guys

"I like the talks at the hitting camps. I think Todd Steverson is going to be fantastic helping our guys approach." "In the end it's about winning in Chicago, some of the improvements we have made on developmental aspects, new scouts domestically and internationally. Getting involved in the international market again is going to help us tremendously over time." - growing developmentally

"I want to be respectful to the process. We told Tanaka why we think we're on the brink of something special. It's not too often you can layout a vision and tell a player you can be a big part of this."

"I'd heard Danny Haren (comparison) in his prime. Plus split, curveball, slider combination and he throws strikes and knows how to pitch." - on Tanaka

"I fully expect Robin to be here long term. We're both fully committed to making this this worth." - on Robin Ventura turning down contract last season.

Thanks, read them all. Much appreciated.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 06:50 PM)
I agree I really enjoy listening to him talk. It's kinda a breath of fresh air from the KW days. I also believe, Hahn thinks we have a legitiment shot at Tanaka.

Couldn't agree more regarding listening to Hahn speak. KW drove me nuts with his smirks and ridiculously measured responses. It was amazing how many words he could cram into one sentence that conveyed so little (and fairly useless) information. His statements were frequently so loaded to make everyone think he was working on something ridiculously special and revolutionary.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
Sale, Tanaka, and Quintana make a nice 1-3. Ranks slides to 4 and let rienzo/Johnson/paulino battle for 5

I highly doubt it would be much of a battle. More than likely would be Johnson's spot to lose barring a horrible performance by him coupled with one of the other two blowing them out of the water. Johnson won't go to the bullpen and there really isn't any point in sending him to AAA when he's ready now, with a likely non-competing team.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
Couldn't agree more regarding listening to Hahn speak. KW drove me nuts with his smirks and ridiculously measured responses. It was amazing how many words he could cram into one sentence that conveyed so little (and fairly useless) information. His statements were frequently so loaded to make everyone think he was working on something ridiculously special and revolutionary.

I loved Kenny, but he was a dick very often. Hahn is direct and non-dickish. Both are geniuses & we're lucky to have them.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
I loved Kenny, but he was a dick very often. Hahn is direct and non-dickish. Both are geniuses & we're lucky to have them.

I was definitely on board except maybe the bolded part. The proof is in the pudding there...it's not like we've had sustained success on their watch. I do think Hahn is the right guy for the job, though.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
I was definitely on board except maybe the bolded part. The proof is in the pudding there...it's not like we've had sustained success on their watch. I do think Hahn is the right guy for the job, though.

Depends on your prespective. Williams time with the Sox is some of the historically best time the franchise has ever had.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 10:41 PM)
Depends on your prespective. Williams time with the Sox is some of the historically best time the franchise has ever had.

This is true, but when you call guys "geniuses" and say "we're lucky to have them", I'm comparing them against all other GMs, not just GMs in White Sox history. They may actually be geniuses, but they certainly haven't lapped the field or anything.