Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Can teams still change their contract offers or are they set in stone from when you bid on him? Is it just posturing now or can there be contract negotiation still going on right now?

According to this thread teams can continue changing their offer and negotiating until he signs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
Can teams still change their contract offers or are they set in stone from when you bid on him? Is it just posturing now or can there be contract negotiation still going on right now?

Tanaka is like any other free agent right now. The team that signs just has to pay the $20 million posting fee. Contract negoitations can still be on going. Teams did not have to put in blind bids or anything like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
According to this thread teams can continue changing their offer and negotiating until he signs.

That's what I gathered, but it's hard to get through all the high schooler tweets and My Little Pony discussions.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 07:54 AM)
Tanaka is like any other free agent right now. The team that signs just has to pay the $20 million posting fee. Contract negoitations can still be on going. Teams did not have to put in blind bids or anything like that.

Thanks. I originally understood it differently, but that makes sense. Technically, a mystery team could still sneak in and blow him out the water with a big deal, as long as they bid the original refundable posting fee.

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)
it just makes no sense why he would choose the sox

play for a contender? No

highest bidder? No

huge fan base? No

then you factor in s***ty weather, not west coast (if those rumors held any truth)

to me it just doesn't seem likely, either the sox wanna say "Hey we tried!" or they're being trolled by Casey Close

Argubaly the only real "contenders" out of the supposed "finalists" are the Dodgers. Every other team has major question marks even with the addition of Tanaka. That's why it's important to look at the future. Other than the Dodgers, I would put both the Chicago teams above the Yankees. They have a lot of age on that roster, and a lot of players coming back from injury. I think there is much more to his decision then the three factors you mentioned.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
That's what I gathered, but it's hard to get through all the high schooler tweets and My Little Pony discussions.

Thanks. I originally understood it differently, but that makes sense. Technically, a mystery team could still sneak in and blow him out the water with a big deal, as long as they bid the original refundable posting fee.

They didn't actually even have to do that. It's basically just a contingency to his contract the winning bidder has to pay Tanaka's team the $20 million. It isn't like the old days where the highest bidder had to pay the posting fee up front just for the right to negotiate. I believe it can be paid over a 2 year period too. If I remember correctly, I believe I heard that $13 million is due the first year and $7 million the next or something like that.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
They didn't actually even have to do that. It's basically just a contingency to his contract the winning bidder has to pay Tanaka's team the $20 million. It isn't like the old days where the highest bidder had to pay the posting fee up front just for the right to negotiate. I believe it can be paid over a 2 year period too. If I remember correctly, I believe I heard that $13 million is due the first year and $7 million the next or something like that.

Nobody has ever had to pay the posting fee upfront. The Athletics won the rights to negotiate with a player about 5 years ago or so and couldn't come to an agreement with the player and, as a result, never paid the posting fee. You only pay the posting fee if you sign the guy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Nobody has ever had to pay the posting fee upfront. The Athletics won the rights to negotiate with a player about 5 years ago or so and couldn't come to an agreement with the player and, as a result, never paid the posting fee. You only pay the posting fee if you sign the guy.

I was under the impression in the old system that the winning team paid the posting fee and then it was returned if no contract could be agreed upon.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:32 AM)
Apparently Tanaka's wife is an aspiring singer and looking to further her career, so it makes more sense for LA than anything else, plus it's closer to Japan and better weather. Unfortunately I don't see how the White Sox fit into his plans realistically.

Thank you for this post. What's it like to time traveling from two weeks ago?

I was under the impression in the old system that the winning team paid the posting fee and then it was returned if no contract could be agreed upon.

The negotiation window was pretty short, so saying that the posting fee was paid up front and then returned if there was no contract is more or less the same as saying that the posting fee didn't have to be paid unless there was a contract.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
Thank you for this post. What's it like to time traveling from two weeks ago?

Well, in his defense, this is becoming one of the largest topics I can remember. I hope it triples in the next 24 hours after a successful Tanaka signing.

Uh never mind

Edited by 103 mph screwball